Biochemistry needed beforehand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJG_ATC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I was recently accepted to Scholls program and am planning on starting in August. I have to finish my organic chemistry II course in the spring.
I have not taken Biochemistry yet. I studied full time this past summer for the MCAT and spent a good amount of time going over Biochemistry to compensate for not having taken the course. Would you recommend I take Biochemistry before I start Podiatry school? Is it a severe disadvantage to not already taken an undergrad Biochemistry course? Any advice would be helpful thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I was recently accepted to Scholls program and am planning on starting in August. I have to finish my organic chemistry II course in the spring.
I have not taken Biochemistry yet. I studied full time this past summer for the MCAT and spent a good amount of time going over Biochemistry to compensate for not having taken the course. Would you recommend I take Biochemistry before I start Podiatry school? Is it a severe disadvantage to not already taken an undergrad Biochemistry course? Any advice would be helpful thank you!

I’m a current first year at scholl and I can say that it definitely won’t hurt taking it. I suppose it isn’t the end of the world if you haven’t taken it but if you do take it you will for sure have an advantage. If you’re a great memorizer you’ll be fine regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year at Scholl, I can confidently say that having the previous exposure in your class now will significantly help you when you get the second exposure here. It will be early in the 1st semester so another positive reason to take it.

To be fair, it is worth a small amount of credit hours so that could be a con.

I will add that Biochem is also tested on our Step 1 APMLE so having extra knowledge prior to coming, then learning it again at Scholl, then going over it a 3rd time when reviewing for boards is the recipe for success!

If you can afford it and have the time, do it. If not, not the end of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with others, I think it is definitely a plus if you can take it, as any exposure to a class you take in pod school will help you do better the 2nd time around. I am also a first year Scholl student, we just finished biochem. In my experience of taking biochem in undergrad, it was much different than what we did at Scholl. For example, Scholl biochemistry doesn’t require you to memorize structures of all the intermediates in the Kreb’s cycle. In fact, we didn’t have to memorize structures for ANY molecules, including amino acids. The class was more of a “medical biochemistry” where you have to understand more about what controls each pathway, what stimulates it, what inhibits it, feedback mechanisms, how hormones regulate it (glucagon, epinephrine, insulin), etc. The professor that teaches genetics and biochemistry at Scholl is a VERY fair professor (his name is Dr. Intine) and almost everyone loves him. Fair grader, generous curve at the end as well, and throws exam questions out if a good amount of the class gets it wrong.

One thing, at Scholl, biochemistry is an online module course. There are no in class lectures (only review sessions, and a few integrative metabolism lectures at the very end of the course). All lectures are previously recorded lectures that are posted online for you to watch at your own pace. But there are lecture exams every 2 weeks for about 1 week of lecture material at a time (around 4-6 lectures usually). Unless it changes next year, it is basically a 25 question exam every 2 weeks. Averages this year were very high for every exam (80-85% each time). The final exam (worth 27% I believe) was 50 questions, which covers about 9 lectures + is a little cumulative, but he will let you know exactly what will be tested.

In undergrad biochem, we had to memorize stupid things like how to draw the structure of each amino acid and memorize all the names of them, memorize structures of each Kreb’s cycle intermediate, all of glycolysis, etc, things that clinically isn’t relative.

Biochem at Scholl is very fair and I think it was fairly easy to pull an A in that class maybe because I had that previous biochemistry knowledge, so it came a little easier 2nd time around. But again, I don’t think that all the memorization I had to do for undergrad biochemistry came into use. It was more enzymology (only the main important ones) memorization, not structure memorization.

But again, if biochem is available at your school and your GPA/time/money can afford it, it wouldn’t hurt taking it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

Hey!
I also got accepted to Scholl and am starting in August.
Not sure if you already know this, but you can also take Biochemistry instead of taking Organic Chemistry II. It says on their course requirements page and I also confirmed with the admissions director, Zach. That's what I will be doing!

Goodluck!!

Definitely skip it in undergrad if you can. The benefit will be fleeting, the focus irrelevant. Everything in undergrad seems like a big deal. This is my impression of an undergrad.

"Oh yeah, I'm taking like 14 hours and two 3 hours sciences at the same time along with my PE elective, anthropology I, and history of basketball. My adviser suggested against it, but yeah like someday I'm going to be a doctor so I gotta do that sort of thing. Yeah man, my life is real hard. I study a lot! Biochemistry is like really weighing me down this semester. I'm thinking of taking a class or two over the summer so I can really devote my attention to just that 1 class at a time."

A year from now you'll take a biochemistry class in which you will realize that everything you had learned the year before has been covered in like 1 week. You'll be begging for the krebs cycle. Pyruvate where art thou. You'll take a bunch of classes you've never seen before at a higher volume than you've ever dealt with.

So don't go blowing up your last semester of senior year!

-I was going to write a serious post about the likely lack of applicability, but this just seemed right.
-Also, there's likely barely any biochemistry on APMLE part 1. Well, there was barely any. But I doubt its changed that much.

Definitely skip it in undergrad if you can. The benefit will be fleeting, the focus irrelevant. Everything in undergrad seems like a big deal. This is my impression of an undergrad.

"Oh yeah, I'm taking like 14 hours and two 3 hours sciences at the same time along with my PE elective, anthropology I, and history of basketball. My adviser suggested against it, but yeah like someday I'm going to be a doctor so I gotta do that sort of thing. Yeah man, my life is real hard. I study a lot! Biochemistry is like really weighing me down this semester. I'm thinking of taking a class or two over the summer so I can really devote my attention to just that 1 class at a time."

A year from now you'll take a biochemistry class in which you will realize that everything you had learned the year before has been covered in like 1 week. You'll be begging for the krebs cycle. Pyruvate where art thou. You'll take a bunch of classes you've never seen before at a higher volume than you've ever dealt with.

So don't go blowing up your last semester of senior year!

-I was going to write a serious post about the likely lack of applicability, but this just seemed right.
-Also, there's likely barely any biochemistry on APMLE part 1. Well, there was barely any. But I doubt its changed that much.

It is 10% of the exam, so it is not something that should be dismissed lightly. It does depend on your luck when it comes to getting the quantity (say more pharm or path than others did, so that aspect is subjective to the tester).

Regardless, Biochem (with good studying) should be an easy 10% of the exam due to the nature of questions hitting high yield, rate-limiting enzymes (usually).

I do in essence agree with you regarding one's schedule and that is something that should definitely be considered too. Although, it doesn't seem like his schedule is swamped given his post.

TLDR: I guess it comes down to either: give myself an advantage while I have some spare time or enjoy my spare time and worry about it when I get there. Depending on your studying style, habits, and commitment to learning, you will either have a good time or a stressful time.

Hi everyone!

I would recommend you to take biochem if possible because your first unit will then just be a review (glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, Citric acid cycle, etc.). Personally, I found biochem very challenging and if I haven’t taken it in my undergrad, I probably would have failed the course (I barely passed). But that doesn’t mean you’ll find it hard so please don’t be discouraged!

If you are unable to take biochem, then I would highly suggest you to review some of the topics before your school starts. Topics which are high yield on mcat like, again, glycolysis, kreb’s cycle, carb metabolism, etc.

1st year student at Scholl here weighing in. I would skip O-Chem II if possible and take Biochem. It alleviates your concerns, and is certainly more relevant to what you'll be learning here. O-Chem II is almost completely inapplicable to any material that we face (so far), especially 1st year. With that said, if you're set on O-Chem II or have already started taking it, I wouldn't worry too much about Biochem. Most of the things in undergrad that biochem teaches will be overlooked, bypassed completely, or will have significantly more depth and detail than you thought imaginable...This is not to say its difficult, but its sort of like spending a whole semester to learn 10 percent of the material that will be taught in our biochem course in 1 week, only to have forgotten most of it by the time summer ends anyway.

There is really no point in taking biochem. If you want to prepare, just learn the 20 amino acid names, 3 letter code, 1 letter code, and characteristics (charge, polarity, branched etc.). Pod school biochem barely has anything I learned from undergrad biochem. My cell-bio and genetics undergrad classes helped a lot more.

There is really no point in taking biochem. If you want to prepare, just learn the 20 amino acid names, 3 letter code, 1 letter code, and characteristics (charge, polarity, branched etc.). Pod school biochem barely has anything I learned from undergrad biochem. My cell-bio and genetics undergrad classes helped a lot more.
I agree that the cell bio and genetics helped mostly in Scholl biochemistry. But, I wouldn’t even bother memorizing the amino acids, there really isn’t much of that in Scholl biochem either. Amino acids are reference material, no point of memorizing them haha. I think the professor only made us memorize a few of the essential vs non essential when it comes to our diet, but that wasn’t until the last exam of biochem. So really no point in even learning the names, 3 letter codes, 1 letter codes. Maybe the characteristics can help to differentiate between the groups.

I agree that the cell bio and genetics helped mostly in Scholl biochemistry. But, I wouldn’t even bother memorizing the amino acids, there really isn’t much of that in Scholl biochem either. Amino acids are reference material, no point of memorizing them haha. I think the professor only made us memorize a few of the essential vs non essential when it comes to our diet, but that wasn’t until the last exam of biochem. So really no point in even learning the names, 3 letter codes, 1 letter codes. Maybe the characteristics can help to differentiate between the groups.

True. Our 1st exam required us to know 3 and 1 letter codes because they would change how they referred to the AA on different questions (but it takes like 15 minutes to memorize it anyways). We didn't have to know the actual structures, just the characteristics like polar, non-polar, positive and negatively charged, glycine being the smallest etc.