Biological Science Lab Requirement (UCI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmeza83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from UCI in 2007 with a B.A. in Psych and a Minor in Bio and Phil.
Since then, I've been attempting to meet all the med school required courses at a community college (because of financial issues).
I've taken the MCAT, I'm finishing my last course of Ochem. All I have left, is to take Biochemistry.

I have a question about the biological science requirement at UCI (and I assume it will be a similar requirement at other schools).
I took the first 3 Core-Bio Courses for Bio Majors 93(DNA to Organism),94 (Organism to Ecosystem),97(Genetics), Ecology, Evolution, Bioethics, etc as well as other lower division and upper division (for the minor) courses. I got A's in all those courses, yet none of them had labs. I have taken microbiology and anatomy and physiology at Cerritos College since they have labs. Will those classes fulfill my lab requirement?

I really hope so, because time keeps going by and I keep finding more hurdles I need to go through before I can apply to medical school.

If I need to spend another year, re-taking basic bio I quit. I'll be 27 next week, and I still have done nothing with my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I have taken microbiology and anatomy and physiology at Cerritos College since they have labs. Will those classes fulfill my lab requirement?

I really hope so, because time keeps going by and I keep finding more hurdles I need to go through before I can apply to medical school.
These will most likely fulfill the lab requirement, but this is a very school-dependent thing so you have to check with each school you're interested in. Also, most (but not all, again, check to be sure) schools only require that you complete these pre-reqs by the time you matriculate, and the application cycle is an entire year.
If I need to spend another year, re-taking basic bio I quit. I'll be 27 next week, and I still have done nothing with my life.
Many of us non-traditional applicants are beyond 30, so realize that your statement is a little silly sounding. I understand you're frustrated, but rushing to apply will not solve the problem. You may end up having to spend another year re-applying if you don't get in the first time because you were in a hurry to apply.

Having a lab requirement done or not is a very minor thing. A much bigger concern is whether you have significant recent clinical experience. This can be paid (EMT/CNA/etc) or volunteer.

I agree with above. App cycle = 1 year, and medical schools accept applicants who have not completed prereqs yet (but can complete it before matriculation).

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have time to do something amazing. If I remember correctly, Jesus didn't become relevant to the world until his early 30s.

I have taken microbiology and anatomy and physiology at Cerritos College since they have labs. Will those classes fulfill my lab requirement?
As others have said, you should contact every school where you plan to apply (or think you might apply) and ask them. If the schools won't count the labs you've already taken, you will either need to apply to different schools who will accept those labs, or you will need to take additional labs before you matriculate.

And I suppose you think the hurdles disappear once you're actually in med school, residency, etc.? :uhno:

Look, being a premed can certainly be frustrating at times. Everyone on this forum has been in the head space you're in right now at one point or another. But you need to adapt your thought process to the reality of medical training. If you're going to go down this path, you have to accept that you will be delaying gratification on a regular basis, and sometimes delaying it for years.

I couldn't possibly come up with a better retort than Triage did, so I'll just stop here. :hungover: