Biology, Feralise notes, and Taxonomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a question regarding Feralise notes. So, I noticed that he has tons of additional info on Physiology than Cliff. I thought I was done with the info about the human body until I realized I need to know more. :smack:

Do I need to know more?

Do I need to recognize them?

Also, For taxonmy, I just read the chapter one time, and then moved on to reading charts on the kingdoms, and their characteristics and stuff, do I need to learn more about that chapter or will reading the excel spread sheet and some quizlets flash card suffice on that chapter?

I heard only 2-3 questions come from that chapter

But then I have this weird fear that all the questions for my bio section gonna be taxnomy and then I'll be done!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have a question regarding Feralise notes. So, I noticed that he has tons of additional info on Physiology than Cliff. I thought I was done with the info about the human body until I realized I need to know more. :smack:

Do I need to know more?

Also, For taxonmy, I just read the chapter one time, and then moved on to reading charts on the kingdoms, and their characteristics and stuff, do I need to learn more about that chapter or will reading the excel spread sheet and some quizlets flash card suffice on that chapter?

But then I have this weird fear that all the questions for my bio section gonna be taxnomy and then I'll be done!

I was in the same boat when I went through it. You do need to memorize themIwi

Do I need to know more?

2-3 questions is 8% of your exam. You definitely want to be prepared for them. I took the time to draw out the taxonomy chain for each (Domain Arcachae and Domain Bacteria are quick, there's only a few things you need to know for them), and then Domain Eurkarya I made these for each kingdom. I draw them out every day to keep it in my head (haven't gotten a taxonomy question wrong since.) - I attached the wrong file initially, I'll change it when I get home.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think the physiology stuff is definitely important and worth covering in depth. Taxonomy/animal diversity is lower yield, but it still comes up on the exam - I think memorizing the Excel sheet would likely be sufficient there.

I had a good amount of physiology on my bio exam. However, I didn't really read feralis notes about physio so I can't comment, but know your physio. Know the systems, endocrines, muscular, reproductive, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for your input
I was in the same boat when I went through it. You do need to memorize themIwi

2-3 questions is 8% of your exam. You definitely want to be prepared for them. I took the time to draw out the taxonomy chain for each (Domain Arcachae and Domain Bacteria are quick, there's only a few things you need to know for them), and then Domain Eurkarya I made these for each domain. I draw them out every day to keep it in my head (haven't gotten a taxonomy question wrong since.)

Hope this helps!
That's a smart idea. I'll try that thanks

I had a good amount of physiology on my bio exam. However, I didn't really read feralis notes about physio so I can't comment, but know your physio. Know the systems, endocrines, muscular, reproductive, etc.

By the way, were the questions divided like Kaplan website says.
Like 22% physiology, 32 % cell biology and 17 % genetics etc?
or were they only focused toward a topic or two

I think the physiology stuff is definitely important and worth covering in depth. Taxonomy/animal diversity is lower yield, but it still comes up on the exam - I think memorizing the Excel sheet would likely be sufficient there.
?
Yeah, I'll read your notes more thoroughly , thanks for doing the excel sheet which makes bio diversity a bit easier to grasp!

Do I need to know more?

I took the DAT twice and both times I got in the 20's on biology. I memorized the excel spreadsheet and read through the taxonomy chapter only once. That was sufficient for both tests and I knew all the taxonomy questions. It's always possible that you won't know something but if you're close to the exam, I don't think it's worth the time.

For anatomy and physiology, both my DAT's were heavily tested on anatomy and I would spend more time memorizing/understanding this than I would on taxonomy.

Reactions: 1 user

It depends on each test. I have spoken to multiple people about what topics were on, and each one said something different. Some said that majority of their questions covered genetics. Some said taxonomy. And some said physiology, and embryology.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the DAT twice and both times I got in the 20's on biology. I memorized the excel spreadsheet and read through the taxonomy chapter only once. That was sufficient for both tests and I knew all the taxonomy questions. It's always possible that you won't know something but if you're close to the exam, I don't think it's worth the time.

For anatomy and physiology, both my DAT's were heavily tested on anatomy and I would spend more time memorizing/understanding this than I would on taxonomy.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

It depends on each test. I have spoken to multiple people about what topics were on, and each one said something different. Some said that majority of their questions covered genetics. Some said taxonomy. And some said physiology, and embryology.

This is really scary, I don't think it's fair you know that the test is not divided equally.
Like it's natural that some people excel in understanding one part over another part!
Why do they do that!

I mean I like heredity for example!
But I hated photosynthesis and respiration

and to have a test focused on Taxnomy, what were they thinking of?

:bag:

Thanks guys for your input

That's a smart idea. I'll try that thanks

?
Yeah, I'll read your notes more thoroughly , thanks for doing the excel sheet which makes bio diversity a bit easier to grasp!
I had 0 genetics on mine lol. Don't remember taxonomy either. Or heredity. I think I had a question about transcription, but it was extremely basic. Also, I had a handful of weird questions. Most of the questions were basic and not as detailed as Feralis notes. However, I've also heard of some people who barely had any physio. I ended up with a 24 in Bio on the DAT, and wasn't too surprised since I spent the most amount of time on that. However, I had some curve balls thrown in there but destroyer covered those.

I had 0 genetics on mine lol. Don't remember taxonomy either. Or heredity. I think I had a question about transcription, but it was extremely basic. Also, I had a handful of weird questions. Most of the questions were basic and not as detailed as Feralis notes. However, I've also heard of some people who barely had any physio. I ended up with a 24 in Bio on the DAT, and wasn't too surprised since I spent the most amount of time on that. However, I had some curve balls thrown in there but destroyer covered those.
did you take physio at school? Or was everything that you learned from physio covered through feralis/cliffs