Biology major advantage after getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EatLaughLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is aimed at current med students and/or people who have been there, done that (but anyone can chip in, I suppose) -

If you majored in biology, do you think it gave you an advantage over non-biology majors in terms of being more familiar with the material?

If you majored in something else (e.g. engineering, computer science, humanities, social science...) how much harder was it to keep up with the material?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This question is aimed at current med students and/or people who have been there, done that (but anyone can chip in, I suppose) -

If you majored in biology, do you think it gave you an advantage over non-biology majors?

If you majored in something else (e.g. engineering, computer science, humanities, social science...) how much harder was it to keep up with the material?
There is no advantage to having biology as a major; if anything there is a slight disadvantage that you don't stand out at all from other applicants, but the bottom line is adcoms see so many people with so many majors that they really don't care what your degree is in. Major in whatever you are interested in, can do well in, and can still fit in the pre reqs and ECs. I have a BA in History, and am about 4 courses shy of a BS in biochemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no difference. Granted I don't start until August, but anecdotally I know a GI doc who was a classics and French major, a neurosurg resident who was a psych major, and a current 4th year who was a philosophy major, all of whom made 3rd year AOA and graduated at the top of their classes.

Edit - I also know of a Bio major who went to Yale for undergrad and was dismissed because he couldn't pass step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
No difference. That's what pre-reqs and the MCAT are for.

Chances are if there's something that WOULD call on advanced knowledge from biology, it's going to be from a PhD's lecture that is going to be so low-yield for an exam that you'll gloss over it anyways.

It helped a little for about 2-3 weeks. After that your suffering is equal.

Major in a hard science. A hard science is pain. Life is pain.

Reactions: 1 user
My Pediatrician was a math major in college and she was a pretty amazing doctor! So no, your major won't really matter as long as you do well.