Diversity Essay: Double Major (IS + Biology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celestia0313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting to prewrite secondaries and was wondering if anyone could provide feedback on the content/structure of what I have for the diversity essay so far. I double majored in Information Systems (IS) and Biological Sciences at my undergrad, and while I know this isn't a super incredible feat or anything, I thought this could be a good/unique topic with how intertwined tech and healthcare are becoming.

What I have so far is pretty much a paragraph talking about my motivation behind the double major and how I believe it's relevant in today's time. I also briefly talked about a data analysis internship (mentioned in my W/A) where I analyzed data on access to health facilities, crime rates, traffic, etc. in my home city. This data was used to inform strategies for building smart cities with the overall goal of improving urban health equity. I talked about how gratifying it was to be part of a project that educated me on these inequities while using technology and data analysis tools to mitigate them. My second paragraph talked about how this experience was just the beginning, and that I hope to continue on this journey into medicine and help break down health barriers, etc.

Does this kinda fit the bill on what they're looking for in a diversity essay? I was worried that adcoms might not see the relevance of me majoring in IS....it's not like I plan to go into that field or do any more research with data analysis in med school (though if the opportunity arises, who knows). My thought process was it would show them I'm educated in the tech field and have experience using this in the context of health equity/inclusion, and overall might be a fresh/unique perspective they haven't heard thousands of times before like other diversity topics.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Do better. Academics don't make you cool
Hmmm yeah, I just thought it was supposed to be about anything that makes you stand out. So basically the diversity essay shouldn't be academically related at all?

These are my other 2 possible topics:
1. Growing up with first gen immigrant parents and navigating the different values/perspectives they instilled me vs. the values of the American society I grew up in
2. Traveling overseas to our home country and witnessing how differently medicine was practiced there, learning the value of culturally diverse healthcare systems

The thing is both are related to my ethnic identity and I feel like they're very common topics. Which of the 2 sounds better though?

Hmmm yeah, I just thought it was supposed to be about anything that makes you stand out.
Double majors don't stand out.
So basically the diversity essay shouldn't be academically related at all?
Show us that you're someone who has a life outside of the classroom, (and Medicine) and brings something interesting to a medical school Class.
1. Growing up with first gen immigrant parents and navigating the different values/perspectives they instilled me vs. the values of the American society I grew up in
Pretty common as well
2. Traveling overseas to our home country and witnessing how differently medicine was practiced there, learning the value of culturally diverse healthcare systems
Also mundane.

What's cool about you? What would your friends say?????

Double majors don't stand out.
Right, but I saw a number of accepted redditers saying they used their diversity essay to talk about how being a humanities or engineering major (something nontrad) allowed them to develop a skillset applicable to medicine, so I thought I could kinda do the same. I guess it can be done but you would just recommend against it?

Show us that you're someone who has a life outside of the classroom, (and Medicine) and brings something interesting to a medical school Class.
Ok my final idea -- so I grew up in a small town where no one really looked like me and I struggled with body image and isolation. I turned to cooking as a way to improve my relationship with food and become more health-conscious, and through food I was also able to explore other cultures. Long story short I ended up starting informal cooking classes among a group of friends (that I still continue), and it's allowed me to bring others together by helping them achieve confidence and a healthier lifestyle. And then obviously I would try and find some way to relate this back to why it would make a better physician.

(sorry haha I know this isn't really a "cool" or fun answer but I honestly can't think of anything better)

Hmmm yeah, I just thought it was supposed to be about anything that makes you stand out. So basically the diversity essay shouldn't be academically related at all?

The thing is both are related to my ethnic identity and I feel like they're very common topics. Which of the 2 sounds better though?
You should make your diversity essay about either your cultural background and experiences or a unique skill or characterization of your skills. IS + Bio is really generic and is really only seen as a sizable plus in MSTP applications.

For your topic 1, unfortunately like Goro said, it's also very generic. Medicine is probably one of the most common professions for children of immigrants to go into, so I doubt you want to highlight it even further.
Right, but I saw a number of accepted redditers saying they used their diversity essay to talk about how being a humanities or engineering major (something nontrad) allowed them to develop a skillset applicable to medicine, so I thought I could kinda do the same. I guess it can be done but you would just recommend against it?

Ok my final idea -- so I grew up in a small town where no one really looked like me and I struggled with body image and isolation. I turned to cooking as a way to improve my relationship with food and become more health-conscious, and through food I was also able to explore other cultures. Long story short I ended up starting informal cooking classes among a group of friends (that I still continue), and it's allowed me to bring others together by helping them achieve confidence and a healthier lifestyle. And then obviously I would try and find some way to relate this back to why it would make a better physician.

(sorry haha I know this isn't really a "cool" or fun answer but I honestly can't think of anything better)
This is a good idea. I know of some primary care doctors who are in academic medicine to teach women about body image and obesity. Perhaps center your theme around this if you have other activities to go along with it.

This is very good!

This is very good!
You should make your diversity essay about either your cultural background and experiences or a unique skill or characterization of your skills. IS + Bio is really generic and is really only seen as a sizable plus in MSTP applications.

For your topic 1, unfortunately like Goro said, it's also very generic. Medicine is probably one of the most common professions for children of immigrants to go into, so I doubt you want to highlight it even further.

This is a good idea. I know of some primary care doctors who are in academic medicine to teach women about body image and obesity. Perhaps center your theme around this if you have other activities to go along with it.
Looks like I'll go with that then. Thank you both so much for your input! I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: 1 user