Biology or Psychology Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cvpmvp33

what do you guys think I shoudl major in. I am still having difficulty deciding. What I am wondering is what I can do if I DONT get into dental school, and I dont know if there are better career possibilities with a Biology major or Psychology Major. And I dont really know which major I am more interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

cvpmvp33 said:
what do you guys think I shoudl major in. I am still having difficulty deciding. What I am wondering is what I can do if I DONT get into dental school, and I dont know if there are better career possibilities with a Biology major or Psychology Major. And I dont really know which major I am more interested in.

what year are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
do bio, i went thru the same track as you, but ended up staying in psychology.. in the end i needed to go back to school to take pre-req's.. that cost extra time and money.

As a bio major you will be basically taking all courses that affect your science GPA. If you know you can do well in these courses, then stick with bio. Otherwise, ace your pre-reqs and stick to psychology. Psychology is a fluff major, courses are mad easy.

On the other hand, getting a job as a bio major is close to impossible unless you have serious research experience. Dunno much about a job with a psych major, but it seems you have a broader range of opportunities. Either way, don't even sweat getting into dental school....sweat getting good grades to get into dental school.

WS

i would say go for the biology degree if your primary goal is to get into dental school. getting a psych degree doesn't look as good as a bio degree to d-school adcoms and it will get you impressive upper level courses. a friend of mine is graduating with a psych degree and though she has a decent gpa she didn't get accepted b/c she's competing w/ alot of bio majors w/ similar gpa's. now she is going back to finish a degree in microbio. also, i don't think a psych degree opens any more doors than a bio degree after you graduate. for both you'll probably have to go to grad school to do anything with it. BUT, if you get a bio degree you could do a bio education degree and then teach, and science teachers are in high demand.

Psychology (AKA nuts and sluts) is universally recognized as an easy major, whereas biology tends to get a little more respect. If you feel that you would equally enjoy biology and psych and that you will end up with about the same GPA in either major, then I would say go for bio. In the end though, the bottomline is your GPA and if it's going to be higher for you in psych, then go with that.

My take: both majors are relatively easy and require much more memorization than conceptual learning. I'd go with psychology only because I find it more interesting, but biology will help you more when it comes to dental school. Bottom line is that you will be able to find a job no matter which degree, most employers only care if you have a degree (ie. cousin has a bio degree from cornell and does finance for a living). Do what interests you and it follows that you will probably make better grades. Like someone else said before though, psychology majors are everywhere, and a bio major, despite being somewhat "bland", is a time consuming and respectable major, as opposed to psychology.

go back and look at the clesses you have done well in. if you are doing better in psych classes then stick to that major. plus, there are usually many more hot girls there.

if you enjoy bio and are diong better in those classes, then take bio.

your goal is to enjoy your college experience and come out with the HIGHEST gpa.

Look, it doesn't matter what you major in. If you're shooting for dental school, you could be an art history major with a minor in armpit farting and, as long as you have the pre-reqs and the grades and the DAT scores and the ECs and the interview, you'll get into whatever d-school you want. I was a philosophy and religion major and every adcom I've talked to has said that I'll add a refreshing dimension to the class when I get in because EVERYONE is a bio major!

And if you change your mind about the teeth thing or don't get in, again, the real world doesn't care what you majored in as long as you have the grades. I know physics majors who went to law school and econ majors who are doing non-profit film work. I also know a bio major who got poor grades and had to take the only job he could find -- as a shoe salesman in the mall. Do well. It doesn't matter in what.

Mack

I'm going to sociology. I don't like the pure memorization required for bio. Atleast with socio you can actually think a little and have/argue your own opinion. I believe the highest scores on the MCAT come from philosophy majors of all things(thinkers).

Mackchops said:
Look, it doesn't matter what you major in. If you're shooting for dental school, you could be an art history major with a minor in armpit farting and, as long as you have the pre-reqs and the grades and the DAT scores and the ECs and the interview, you'll get into whatever d-school you want. I was a philosophy and religion major and every adcom I've talked to has said that I'll add a refreshing dimension to the class when I get in because EVERYONE is a bio major!

And if you change your mind about the teeth thing or don't get in, again, the real world doesn't care what you majored in as long as you have the grades. I know physics majors who went to law school and econ majors who are doing non-profit film work. I also know a bio major who got poor grades and had to take the only job he could find -- as a shoe salesman in the mall. Do well. It doesn't matter in what.

Mack
truff speaker :thumbup: Dental schools aren't going to punish you for liking something other than biology.

:sleep: psychology :sleep:
it's all a bunch of BS if you ask me....