Black Monday Email Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out the answer to my question regarding how we are notified by the NRMP about our match status on March 15 based on my situation, and any help/previous experience would be much appreciated!

So, lets say that on your primary rank list, you list all your derm programs linked to the corresponding supplementary list for intern year. Then at the end of your list, you put just intern years on the primary rank list, in case you do not get accepted into derm but want to continue on with an intern year anyway (I know you are probably wondering why would anyone do that? But I have my reasons and I did). So now I am wondering what my email on black monday will mean if it does say "Congratulations you have matched"- because based on the NRMP website it says this:

1. Congratulations, you have matched!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including
Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program.
Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs.
Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

But then again there is also the possibility of receiving a "Congratulations you have matched to a one year position!"- which I assume the only way to get this message is if you did what I did, because the match algorithm won't run your supplemental rank list (i.e. one year programs) unless you successfully matched into a derm program on your primary rank list.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have been trying to figure out the answer to my question regarding how we are notified by the NRMP about our match status on March 15 based on my situation, and any help/previous experience would be much appreciated!

So, lets say that on your primary rank list, you list all your derm programs linked to the corresponding supplementary list for intern year. Then at the end of your list, you put just intern years on the primary rank list, in case you do not get accepted into derm but want to continue on with an intern year anyway (I know you are probably wondering why would anyone do that? But I have my reasons and I did). So now I am wondering what my email on black monday will mean if it does say "Congratulations you have matched"- because based on the NRMP website it says this:

This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including
Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

But then again there is also the possibility of receiving a "Congratulations you have matched to a one year position!"- which I assume the only way to get this message is if you did what I did, because the match algorithm won't run your supplemental rank list (i.e. one year programs) unless you successfully matched into a derm program on your primary rank list.

I too ranked preliminary positions below my derm programs on the primary list. My understanding is that if you only match to a preliminary position then you will receive the mail stating "congratulations you have matched to a one year position"

NRMP website.....
3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one- year position!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to a preliminary position but did not match to an advanced position listed on the primary rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain an advanced position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different preliminary position.

As for the the other question, i think the word "only" is key....

Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement.

Just my interpretation.

I set my list up similarly last year.

If you've matched into derm, you'll receive the message "Congratulations you have matched"

If you've matched only into a prelim program, you'll receive the message "Congratulations you have matched to a one year position!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm typically a ***** about these sorts of things, but in this case the NRMP couldn't have made it any more clear.

Just like asmallchild said:

Match to derm and 1st year = "congrats, you have matched"
Match only to derm = "congrats, you matched to an advanced program"
Match only to prelim = "congrats, you matched to a 1 year position"
Match to neither = "sorry, you did not match"

What do most people do if they only match into a prelim medicine spot? Do they reapply for Derm, Medicine or both? Also, I couldn't find a good thread about people who only match into a prelim spot...and if that year can be applied towards IM.

What do most people do if they only match into a prelim medicine spot? Do they reapply for Derm, Medicine or both? Also, I couldn't find a good thread about people who only match into a prelim spot...and if that year can be applied towards IM.

It depends on the individual but let's go through the process for someone who is die-hard Dermatology.

If they don't match into an advanced derm spot, they may match into one of the prelims (hopefully academic) at the bottom of their primary list. They will then apply for Derm again the following cycle. If they fail to match again, they will often do a research fellowship (which often requires completion of an intern year). Then they will apply a third time.

If they decide they want to do medicine after intern year, some medicine programs will let the resident continue in categorical medicine. I honestly don't know if you can do an intern year at one institution and 'apply' it to a different medicine program elsewhere. I've heard of people transferring to other programs within a specialty so I'm sure it's possible. I just don't know how common or likely it is.

Remember, if you put prelims on your primary list and match into one of them, you essentially are blocked from scrambling into a categorical medicine spot since your match is a binding agreement.

The email says something like:

You have matched (or not) into a preliminary program

You have matched (or not) into an advanced program

When you get the email it is clear and your not left wondering.

Does anyone know if the email is sent out exactly at noon on Monday? I will be departing on a flight at 11:30am that morning and was hoping that maybe the email would be sent out earlier than exactly noon. For those who previously matched, do you remember if you found out any earlier than noon?
Thanks!! Good luck to all! :)

Does anyone know if the email is sent out exactly at noon on Monday? I will be departing on a flight at 11:30am that morning and was hoping that maybe the email would be sent out earlier than exactly noon. For those who previously matched, do you remember if you found out any earlier than noon?

exactly noon eastern. earlier if another time zone.

I got mine nearly 15 minutes before noon but your mileage may vary, good luck!