Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AND Chris Rock at the Oscars 2016!
This legit has been the best Black History Month so far

I don't buy that Chris Rock thing. It was only a consolation prize to try and pacify black folks about the whole boycotting thing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't buy that Chris Rock thing. It was only a consolation prize to try and pacify black folks about the whole boycotting thing
Chris Rock was chosen months ago, before the boycott was in place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3. Possibly not ever having children scares me even though I really don't want any (my biological clock will start to tic-oh and I forgot to mention how my grandmother had menopause at 30 and my mom at 38, and I don't want any kids while working my way into med school, so my life is pretty much eff'd if this happens, ya know pushing my graduation date back *face palm*)

You can always freeze your eggs. One of my classmates said she was going to do this

I'm not premed, but predental and I hope its appropriate that I rant over here.

I'm mixed, but I look black and my husband and I were looking at homes to purchase (he's black). We go to this very nice neighborhood with are realtor, we got there a bit early so we step out the car and start looking outside of the house (it's empty, for sale). Now the part of town I'm in it's known to be not much diversity and I knew immediately that we would be the only black people living in the home subdivision, but that didn't bother me much (I'm used to it).

I kid you not 5 mins past by and 4 cops car shows up and tells us to put are hands in the air.... :confused::confused: me and my husband never been in any kind of trouble so we immediately freak out and do what they say. They handcuff us and we sit in the cop car. We tried to explain to them that we were interested in looking at the house, but they refused to listen UNTIL my realtor comes in and in complete shock... she talks to the officers and showed documents of the home ad everything.

after 2 F******* HOURS of sitting in the cop car .... HANDCUFFED.... they let us go..... and said neighbors called because we looked suspicious and looked like we were robbing the house..................................

And you want the cherry on top? My husband is a anesthesia resident and he was wearing scrubs and I work in cooperate and I was wearing a pants suit. If we looked suspicious then I don't want to know what suspicious is.

And the worst part? The cops didn't apologize and just left. I am in complete shock and so sad and upset. I don't want to blame the race card (but come on) and blame all cops are ****ty, cause they are not. I just wanted to share what happen to me today.

What lesson did I learn? As soon as my husband is done with residency we are moving the f*** away from the south (at least this city).

Reactions: 15 users

I'm mixed, but I look black and my husband and I were looking at homes to purchase (he's black). We go to this very nice neighborhood with are realtor, we got there a bit early so we step out the car and start looking outside of the house (it's empty, for sale). Now the part of town I'm in it's known to be not much diversity and I knew immediately that we would be the only black people living in the home subdivision, but that didn't bother me much (I'm used to it).

I kid you not 5 mins past by and 4 cops car shows up and tells us to put are hands in the air.... :confused::confused: me and my husband never been in any kind of trouble so we immediately freak out and do what they say. They handcuff us and we sit in the cop car. We tried to explain to them that we were interested in looking at the house, but they refused to listen UNTIL my realtor comes in and in complete shock... she talks to the officers and showed documents of the home ad everything.

after 2 F******* HOURS of sitting in the cop car .... HANDCUFFED.... they let us go..... and said neighbors called because we looked suspicious and looked like we were robbing the house..................................

And you want the cherry on top? My husband is a anesthesia resident and he was wearing scrubs and I work in cooperate and I was wearing a pants suit. If we looked suspicious then I don't want to know what suspicious is.

And the worst part? The cops didn't apologize and just left. I am in complete shock and so sad and upset. I don't want to blame the race card (but come on) and blame all cops are ****ty, cause they are not. I just wanted to share what happen to me today.

What lesson did I learn? As soon as my husband is done with residency we are moving the f*** away from the south (at least this city).
:whoa:

Reactions: 3 users

S*** like this pisses me off. People love to claim racism or prejudice doesn't exist but obviously does. I'd look for a way to take legal action.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ugh, that's completely awful. Should be able to sue for things like that.

S*** like this pisses me off. People love to claim racism or prejudice doesn't exist but obviously does. I'd look for a way to take legal action.

Yeah it was pretty upsetting... I'm still in shock. I never been in a cop car before or had any altercation like that. The whole thing was so scary. My husband wants to sue.... but I doubt it will make any difference.

admittedly I'm confused about the timeline here but if all these details are exact, you have a case for police misconduct and should file a civil rights complaint (and I don't even mean for race, the simple amount of time without just cause is a violation)

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh, that's completely awful. Should be able to sue for things like that.

Yeah my husband wants to sue, but I'm doubtful. It could've been worse, they could've booked us (for god knows what) and I can't imagine what that would do to us having a record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my husband wants to sue, but I'm doubtful. It could've been worse, they could've booked us (for god knows what) and I can't imagine what that would do to us having a record.
effecting an actual arrest would just be them writing you and your lawyer a very large check in those circumstances

effecting an actual arrest would just be them writing you and your lawyer a very large check in those circumstances

Oh I meant when I apply to dental school this year... I'm not sure how that would look on applications (I guess it depends on the charge or whatever) and my husband is still in residency and if he got arrested...I don't even know... But I am thankful that did not happen.

This all happened this morning (sorry if my post was confusing, I'm still in shock). I think I might take your advice and put a complaint cause we have the name of the officer that wasn't listening to us.

You'd think, but seriously, if they pressed charges (god knows what for, "resisting arrest" is a favorite you can slap on pretty much anyone that is out of camera view that gives you a hard time) a Southern white jury would convict them more often than not because they're just giving the white officers the benefit of the doubt. It's easy for police to mishandle cases and exaggerate charges if they want to, and it's very hard to retaliate in many states if they do so without throwing yourself even more into their crosshairs.
Yeah, it's too flimsy to really get anything out of- if they'd outright arrested you, you easily could have gotten something, but because they let you go on the scene, they've got plausible deniability in a court of law, unfortunately.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh I meant when I apply to dental school this year... I'm not sure how that would look on applications (I guess it depends on the charge or whatever) and my husband is still in residency and if he got arrested...I don't even know... But I am thankful that did not happen.

This all happened this morning (sorry if my post was confusing, I'm still in shock). I think I might take your advice and put a complaint cause we have the name of the officer that wasn't listening to us.
call a civil rights lawyer first. If you have any chance of getting an award/settlement they'll jump all over it. You don't want to hurt your case by writing the wrong thing, without legal advice, on a police complaint.

Thank you for all the help everyone. (and I'm sorry to change of the tone of this thread). If we decide to make a complaint I will make sure we get in touch with a lawyer. But honestly, I doubt we will sue.

It's sad but I'm very reluctant to live in the south now. It's always been a dream of mine to move there ( love warm weather) , but I've become a little scared within the last 2 years. I know things like that can happen in New York too though.

It's sad but I'm very reluctant to live in the south now. It's always been a dream of mine to move there ( love warm weather) , but I've become a little scared within the last 2 years.

Please don't think that! I live in a rural town so my situation is kinda biased, but usually the city is a great place. I would looove to move to Houston/Austin which I heard are amazing cities. Florida would be nice too! When I visited Tampa it was beautiful

I hear you, you're right. My 17 year old brother plays football, all I can remember my father say all his life is " Alabama" but now all of a sudden it's " michigan" or "boston college". Dad seems a little reluctant to send my brother " down south " now for college

Last edited:

Oh my gosh..you should sue the police department.

I honestly have no words :(

Reactions: 1 user
Oh my gosh..you should sue the police department.

I honestly have no words :(

We probably won't. No good will come from it. The whole situation is sad. I tried looking at the brighter side and just telling myself they were just doing their jobs. My husband and I are pretty shaken up by it.

We probably won't. No good will come from it. The whole situation is sad. I tried looking at the brighter side and just telling myself they were just doing their jobs. My husband and I are pretty shaken up by it.
They were not "just" doing their jobs. They were taking things to an extreme that was unnecessary!

If this is true, and your husband was in scrubs and you in a business suit, then it was most likely an intimidation ploy to keep you from buying there. There are a lot of white neighborhoods in the south that do not want black people there even if they are good upstanding people. I mean look at SDN and all the racist crap kids who have achieved higher education say, while the mods just allow it. Keep your head up.

Reactions: 11 users
This is why the relationship between blacks and the cops is strained. This is why cops don't represent the same thing to blacks as they do to others. Protect and serve? I, as well as many others I know, have been harassed by cops starting at a young age.

The first time I was harassed, I was 12 or 13. It resulted in a 2 week suspension for the involved cops and the chief coming to my home to apologize (the only apology I have ever received from any cop). I think that was only done because I was the young, black, well behaved straight A student and they were scared we were going to make a circus out of it.

The other times, cops made it seem as if I was lucky for getting off from doing nothing (like being pulled over by the cops at night for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign when I was driving with my brother, and the officers had their guns drawn... Wtf?).

@stag123 I'm sorry that happened to you.

Reactions: 7 users

Glad everything is okay. I've been in two similar situations. (One outside of my own house and the other while pumping gas at night.) The South can be difficult for sure.

Yeah, Chris Rock and those Asian jokes were the epitome of inclusiveness and diversity.
"Inclusiveness and diversity" make for an exceedingly dull comedy routine.

"Inclusiveness and diversity" make for an exceedingly dull comedy routine.
You do realize Chris Rock is a comedian, right? Sensitivity is at an all time high.

Would it be considered comedy if an Asian comedian brought three black kids on stage and joked that they were the ones who had picked the cotton to make your clothes? Child labor in Asian countries is a serious issue and deprives thousands of children of their futures. For a comedian to joke about such issues, especially when they do not identify with the race at the end of the joke, is not considered "comedy" to many people. The only reason Chris Rock was able to pull this stunt is because he knows that Asians have extremely little political power. I suspect if anyone had made the joke mentioned above, the uproar would be much greater.

Would it be considered comedy if an Asian comedian brought three black kids on stage and joked that they were the ones who had picked the cotton to make your clothes? Child labor in Asian countries is a serious issue and deprives thousands of children of their futures. For a comedian to joke about such issues, especially when they do not identify with the race at the end of the joke, is not considered "comedy" to many people. The only reason Chris Rock was able to pull this stunt is because he knows that Asians have extremely little political power. I suspect if anyone had made the joke mentioned above, the uproar would be much greater.
yes it would have been comedy. offensive comedy to some. maybe not funny comedy to others. but offensive and comedy are not mutually exclusive.

You clearly don't watch much friar's club, louis CK, daniel tosh, dave chappelle, lisa lampanelli, anthony jezelnick (or name about 100 comedians)

Reactions: 2 users
Chris Rock in particular has been very critical of political correctness (to the point of refusing to play college shows.) I doubt "outrage" would force him into submission. In any case, you can change the channel if it bothers you so much.

Last edited:
I can care less about what Chris rock or any other comedian says about the Asian community. It's a joke, move along. Thanks to Kpop/Kdrama.......many african american women are considerably open to dating Asian men -- and refusing to date black men, strange.

yes it would have been comedy. offensive comedy to some. maybe not funny comedy to others. but offensive and comedy are not mutually exclusive.

You clearly don't watch much friar's club, louis CK, daniel tosh, dave chappelle, lisa lampanelli, anthony jezelnick (or name about 100 comedians)

Yeah right. You and I both know very few people would consider that comedy. That joke would receive widespread condemnation and the twitter hastag #NotMyClothes would probably be trending. You are right, I don't have time to watch any of those comedians. I'm too busy studying since Asians have to have higher grades and test scores than everyone else to be considered equivalent.

Yeah right. You and I both know very few people would consider that comedy. That joke would receive widespread condemnation and the twitter hastag #NotMyClothes would probably be trending. You are right, I don't have time to watch any of those comedians. I'm too busy studying since Asians have to have higher grades and test scores than everyone else to be considered equivalent.
We agree on admissions policies, we clearly don't on the concept of "free passes" for comedians

I also got accepted to medical school during black history month so yeah... It's been a pretty good black history month :biglove:

Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone ever worked or are working for Elite Medical Scribes??? I have a phone interview with them...internal medicine.

Is anyone here a math major?

Screenshot_2016-03-06-14-23-14.png

So, I am pleased to announce that I was selected for an Indian pre-medical Fellowship :)! Only one person can win, and I am so excited and blessed that I was chosen. :soexcited::claps::banana::shifty:

Edit: I will have to defer my enrollment to medical school to next year, in case inquiring minds would want to know.

Reactions: 7 users
@dermocrat88 :claps: congrats!!

When I started college, one of my professors gave me some very valuable advice: When you are offered extra credit, DO IT! (he offered 5 extra points on our first exam that semester and I did not even attempt it. He returned it to me with this advice and gave me a chance to get it.)

This made the difference between a B and an A for me today on my stats exam, lol. Thank you econ professor <3

Just a heads up, the new MSAR is out which includes 2016 MCAT scores for this year's applicants.

So, I am pleased to announce that I was selected for an Indian pre-medical Fellowship :)! Only one person can win, and I am so excited and blessed that I was chosen. :soexcited::claps::banana::shifty:

Edit: I will have to defer my enrollment to medical school to next year, in case inquiring minds would want to know.

Congrats, what does that entail??

Lol they wouldn't add me to the group so I must not be cool enough. :rolleyes::shrug::cat:

Hey did you get any love from NYU ??? and what school did you settle on?

Waitlistedddddd! :arghh: Gonna wait it out though and see what happens. If not I'm at OSU lol