Blazer for interview? or total no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2THDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interview is coming up so I went shopping today for my first suit ever in my life, but oh my god, suits just look really bad or I guess I just couldn't find one that fit nicely.

I found a really nice black blazer and bought that and a dress pants to go along with it.
Is it really really really really really frowned upon if you wear blazer?

Realistically speaking, if you have a good shot at getting into school, you guys think you can get rejected because you were not in a suit?

I will post a picture of what I bought today in a few
Thanks for the inputs guys.

Disregard my DAT scorereport in the background, you can't even see it anyways :)

20141025_193930.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They're not going to reject you based on not wearing a suit. You just might be the only one not in one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get whatever suit you think is the best fit, and then get it altered afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have a very common body frame you will never find one that fits nicely in the store. Go with a grey/charcoal suit and expect about a week for it to get tailored

Blazers have their time and place, but at a professional interview, it's best to dress the part. Look around a bit more, you probably just haven't found the right suit yet. Some people hate on macy's and jc penny but they both have a wide variety of suits that won't break the bank. Nice DAT scores in the background, Btw, haha. Mine hung on the side of my fridge for a good month or so after the test.

Play it safe and get yourself a suit, and alter it if you have to. More likely than not, you will be the odd one out in the crowd if you wear anything different.

At one of my interview sessions, one guy came in wearing a flannel shirt, a noticeable black cotton t-shirt on the inside, black slacks, and black sneakers. He was an in-stater for the school, and he seemed pretty interested in attending. I currently attend the school now and he is not in my class. I'm sure the outfit was not the main reason he did not get in, but I'm sure it did not help.
Obviously a more extreme case than yours, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :p

Reactions: 1 user
seems like the consensus is a no.
I will probably have to look around more to get a better fitting one possibly.
I haven't tried JCpenny because I went straight to macy's because I heard they always have good sales on suits.

But boy, I like that blazer, I might just keep that one for other occasions.

Like others have said, invest in a suit and make sure you get it tailored so that it fits properly

seems like the consensus is a no.
I will probably have to look around more to get a better fitting one possibly.
I haven't tried JCpenny because I went straight to macy's because I heard they always have good sales on suits.

But boy, I like that blazer, I might just keep that one for other occasions.

Try the Alfani or BarIII slim fit suits in Macys. Have one of the sales people help you. They will work with you to find one to fit you. I currently own two BarIII suits, charcoal and black, and wear them through and through.

Banana republic has really nice slim fitting suits.

Don't be cheap, buy a suit.

/QUOTE
Don't be cheap, buy a suit.

it wasn't about being cheap.
Suit was actually cheaper because it came with pants as well.
i just couldn't find one.

I went to another macy's today and found a better fitting one for around $100 :)

Blazers have their time and place, but at a professional interview, it's best to dress the part. Look around a bit more, you probably just haven't found the right suit yet. Some people hate on macy's and jc penny but they both have a wide variety of suits that won't break the bank. Nice DAT scores in the background, Btw, haha. Mine hung on the side of my fridge for a good month or so after the test.

mine's been on there for a year now. I didn't want to lose it :)

Im not a dude but i did help my brother buy a suit for his buddy's wedding...JCPenney was a last resort after we check out H&M, Express, and Macy's.

There's a guy at our JCPenney who helped my brother buy the best suit size/cut for his body type (tall, broad shoulders, yadda yadda).

I actually didnt have to do much work at all, plus the guy was nice enough to give my brother his "friends and family" discount which was like an extra 30% off

Im not a dude but i did help my brother buy a suit for his buddy's wedding...JCPenney was a last resort after we check out H&M, Express, and Macy's.

There's a guy at our JCPenney who helped my brother buy the best suit size/cut for his body type (tall, broad shoulders, yadda yadda).

I actually didnt have to do much work at all, plus the guy was nice enough to give my brother his "friends and family" discount which was like an extra 30% off

How come I never come across guys like that ? LOL./