Interview without blazer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to wear a blazer?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you wear cargo shorts and flip flops you'll be fine. /s

It is important to look professional and presentable. Check out some of the interview attire threads on the pre med section for a better idea. Men's Women's

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just tell them the airline misplaced your baggage. It’s not the end of the world, as long as you have the rest of the ensemble you will be ok.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to say it's necessary but it's necessary! I literally had to buy one when I landed and I was so happy that I did because everyone was wearing a blazer and I would have been SO underdressed!

It's fine! You don't have to be wearing a copy cat of every other guy! They won't choose you based on your suit. I only wore a suit once, and the other times it wasn't a suit and I got accepted either way,

Plus, there is always Macy's, Marshal's, Ross, or target to buy a blazer from wherever you are going.

which state are you going and what time?

At one interview the soles of my cheap dress shoe came off the day before so I had to find some superglue and Velcro to keep it at bay.. At another interview the button came off my blazer the night before. I bought a safety pin. Make do of the situation. You could always shop around and buy something cheap. Worst thing is you make an excuse like what the prev post said and say the airport lost your luggage. Good luck!

First impression mean a lot. They going to think you dont care if everyone dressed up and you didnt. Go get a cheap blazer, it might make the difference.

I’d also consider if it’ll affect you psychologically. Interview day is where you need to be confident in yourself. If you’ll feel uncomfortable or out of place being the one interviewer without a blazer, it might be worth it to get one so that you can go into your personal interview with confidence rather than worrying about your look.

I wore no suit and no tie. Instead, I wore a sweater with nice wool pants and a winter coat (it was a pre-December interview). I got accepted on the first day of results in December back in 2016.

As long as you look professional, you'll be fine.

It depends. Some applicants dress very well, but bring nothing to the interview. Some are a little less polished, but bring a very directed affect which is in line with our culture. The clothes don't make the man/woman. You must have the fundamentals behind you.
Last year I interviewed an applicant who was dressed far more casually than the rest. The interview was direct, to the point, and went very well. Now as one of my residents, I see it was not a matter of being casual, but this person's personal style. When you are part of the interview process, no matter which side of the desk you sit on, it is the quality of both the questions and responses which count, not the quality of the wool and leather.