Blown Away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Blown Away

I was a work today and I was given this message, “ -----‘s husband called and wants you to call back right away! He sounded very upset. His wife died.”

Uh-oh, I thought to myself, this is never good. It was a patient I remembered well, that I had seen repeatedly for a chronic problem, and who always came with her husband. We seemed to get along well. I didn’t recall any conflict, unpleasant interactions or any immediate life threat that might have been ominous. There were no complaints to administration. I looked in the computer, and I hadn’t seen this patient in over 3 months. I debated whether or not to call back, not knowing what beehive I would be getting into. Did I do something wrong? Am I being sued? Surely I am going to be blamed for this in some way? Maybe returning this call would not be such a good idea.

I decided to call back. After all, I knew the curiosity of not knowing what happened would torture me more than simply calling and facing whatever was coming my way. I had a few extra minutes, so I dialed the phone and called.

“Hello,” answered the familiar voice of Mrs. ----‘s husband.

“Hi, this is Dr. Bird. I got a message that you had called. I’m sorry about the terrible news,” I said.

“Yes, she died 2 weeks ago,” he said, his voice crackling and wavering. “I thought you would want to know.”

“Yes, absolutely, thank you for calling. Again, I’m very sorry about your loss,” I said. “What happened?” I was afraid to hear the answer.

He went on to explain that 3 months after I had last seen his wife, her condition began to deteriorate (from something unrelated to what I saw her for). He paused and choked up repeatedly in telling the story, the tears and emotions still raw. She ended up in the ICU and on life support. Her condition worsened, beyond any hope. To respect her wishes, he decided to withdraw support, as she requested. As a result, she died. This concluded many long and painful years of an excruciatingly painful illness. Nevertheless, he was crushed.

“She was a very strong woman and she went through a lot,” I said. “I’m sure you miss her very, very much.”

“Yes, I do,” he said. I could hear him now choking back full tears. “Most of all, I wanted to call and tell you thanks, for all you did trying to help her. I want you to know she thought the world of you.”

Wow. That was a shocker. After all the years of hurried patient interactions, the long nights, the grinding day shifts, and the routine ins and outs, unexpectedly, this one stopped me in my tracks. I have to admit, he got me. I was totally caught off guard, by the appreciation in the face of such a hurtful tragic loss. I had come to expect utter negativity and un-appreciativeness at all turns.

“Wow, sir. Thank you. Thank you for calling. I really appreciate you letting me know,” I said, in disbelief, and humbled. After years of being a doctor in various setting, with 30,0000 or more patient interactions and counting, I can honestly count the number of times I have received this type of thanks on one hand. At least for the moment, this one “thank you” seemed to have made up for many thanks that likely were felt, yet not necessarily sent or expressed, and likely drowned by a much noisier negativity more demanding of being heard.

So, I left work today with my faith in humanity re-instilled just a little bit, at least for today. I drove home just a little bit more convinced that maybe all the hassles, frustrations, and stresses I deal with as a doctor amongst the choking cloud of red tape, administrative fiats, government rules and meaningless “meaningful use,” that what I do just might be making a difference, somewhere, someway, somehow, to someone.

(True Story)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Blown Away

I was a work today and I was given this message, “ -----‘s husband called and wants you to call back right away! He sounded very upset. His wife died.”

Uh-oh, I thought to myself, this is never good. It was a patient I remembered well, that I had seen repeatedly for a chronic problem, and who always came with her husband. We seemed to get along well. I didn’t recall any conflict, unpleasant interactions or any immediate life threat that might have been ominous. There were no complaints to administration. I looked in the computer, and I hadn’t seen this patient in over 3 months. I debated whether or not to call back, not knowing what beehive I would be getting into. Did I do something wrong? Am I being sued? Surely I am going to be blamed for this in some way? Maybe returning this call would not be such a good idea.

I decided to call back. After all, I knew the curiosity of not knowing what happened would torture me more than simply calling and facing whatever was coming my way. I had a few extra minutes, so I dialed the phone and called.

“Hi, this is Dr. Bird. I got a message that you had called. I’m sorry about the terrible news,” I said.

“Yes, she died 2 weeks ago,” he said, his voice crackling and wavering. “I thought you would want to know.”

“Yes, absolutely, thank you for calling. Again, I’m very sorry about your loss,” I said. “What happened?” I was afraid to hear the answer.

He went on to explain that 3 months after I had last seen his wife, her condition began to deteriorate (from something unrelated to what I saw her for). He paused and choked up repeatedly in telling the story, the tears and emotions still raw. She ended up in the ICU and on life support. Her condition worsened, beyond any hope. To respect her wishes, he decided to withdraw support, as she requested. As a result, she died. This concluded many long and painful years of an excruciatingly painful illness. Nevertheless, he was crushed.

“She was a very strong woman and she went through a lot,” I said. “I’m sure you miss her very, very much.”

“Yes, I do,” he said. I could hear him now choking back full tears. “Most of all, I wanted to call and tell you thanks, for all you did trying to help her. I want you to know she thought the world of you.”

Wow. That was a shocker. After all the years of hurried patient interactions, the long nights, the grinding day shifts, and the routine ins and outs, unexpectedly, this one stopped me in my tracks. I have to admit, he got me. I was totally caught off guard, by the appreciation in the face of such a hurtful tragic loss. I had come to expect utter negativity and un-appreciativeness at all turns.

“Wow, sir. Thank you. Thank you for calling. I really appreciate you letting me know,” I said, in disbelief, and humbled. After years of being a doctor in various setting, with 30,0000 or more patient interactions and counting, I can honestly count the number of times I have received this type of thanks on one hand. At least for the moment, this one “thank you” seemed to have made up for many thanks that likely were felt, yet not necessarily sent or expressed, and likely drowned by a much noisier negativity more demanding of being heard.

So, I left work today with my faith in humanity re-instilled just a little bit, at least for today. I drove home just a little bit more convinced that maybe all the hassles, frustrations, and stresses I deal with as a doctor amongst the choking cloud of red tape, administrative fiats, government rules and meaningless “meaningful use,” that what I do just might be making a difference, somewhere, someway, somehow, to someone.

(True Story)
Great story. Thanks for posting. I think it was the least you could do after that depressing post you dropped over in the burnout thread ;)

Last edited:
Great story. Thanks for posting. I think it was the least you could do after that depressing post you dropped over in the burnout thread ;)

Hey, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked it. Tell me a little more about my post from the "burnout thread." What was so depressing about it?

(And it's totally fine if you tell me it's the worst thing you've ever read. I'm cool with that. It's just fascinating to me when people have such opposite reactions to something I've written, when they both read the same exact words.)

Hey, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked it. Tell me a little more about my post from the "burnout thread." What was so depressing about it?

(And it's totally fine if you tell me it's the worst thing you've ever read. I'm cool with that. It's just fascinating to me when people have such opposite reactions to something I've written, when they both read the same exact words.)

I am guessing the burnout thread post was depressing to some in that it strongly emphasized that EM is not all roses and puppy kisses. Your post here emphasized one of the roses.

...the burnout thread post was depressing to some in that it strongly emphasized that EM is not all roses and puppy kisses.

I'm hard at work on my next post. I want to give you a preview. It goes something like this:

"So, I walked in for a shift one day and per routine, I was greeted with the usual bouquet of roses and showered with warm and fuzzy puppy kisses..."

I'm hard at work on my next post. I want to give you a preview. It goes something like this:

"So, I walked in for a shift one day and per routine, I was greeted with the usual bouquet of roses and showered with warm and fuzzy puppy kisses..."

From what I've gathered about EM thus far, I can only surmise that this is due to the fact that a disgruntled administrator knows of your severe allergies.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've gathered about EM thus far, I can only surmise that this is due to the fact that a disgruntled administrator knows of your severe allergies.

Yes! Awesome! Lol

That was good. That was very good.

Don't get me wrong, your post in the Burnout thread was well-written, accurate, and has good, unfiltered information that I like to see in these forums...I'm just sayin' that it didn't exactly make me giddy to be a med student applying to EM like your story in this thread did.

On the other hand, you have been greeted with a bouquet of lighters full of crack. I'd say that's a much nicer present than roses and puppy kisses. More practical anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another great article Birdstrike - as usual - and I would like to tie it to the recent ACEP Now article about new med students which describes how Millennials thrive off of positive feedback. While the ACEP Now article suggests this as a tool to effectively lead the Millennials, it can also be a tool for Millennials to choose their practice location.

Most of the demand for BC EM docs is, of course, in the major cities which, as your many articles describe, often has a preponderance of patients who demand everything, and are thankful for nothing.

Rural America is vastly different though. Where I work we often have thanks heaped on us by our patients and their families, even when there are adverse outcomes. While I've never been greeted with a bouquet of roses and puppy dog kisses, it's not unusual for the registration desk to call back and ask me to come to the lobby for someone to just say "thanks" for something we did for them or their families last week.

Of course the financial compensation in rural America cannot compete with what you guys make in the major urban/academic areas. But those who are concerned with burnout may want to consider leaving the urban centers for quieter, and more friendly, locations.

Another great article Birdstrike - as usual - .

Thanks.

Rural America is vastly different though. Where I work we often have thanks heaped on us by our patients and their families, even when there are adverse outcomes. While I've never been greeted with a bouquet of roses and puppy dog kisses, it's not unusual for the registration desk to call back and ask me to come to the lobby for someone to just say "thanks" for something we did for them or their families last week.
That's great you have a place you're happy with. Glad to here it, and thanks for sharing the advice. I agree, a change in practice setting can make a big difference.

That post gave me the feels. Great story.

FWIW: The OP made it to KevinMD, but as of yet, zero comments. It always amazes me how if you tap into anger, you'll get 10,000 Facebook likes (literally) like the last one (patient sat rant). Write something positive and you get yawn. Either way, it's all good.

Just wanted to say that you are definitely someone I look up to on these forums, even if I am a lowly minion of a med student. Your sarcasm and opinions are well-respected. Although it may not be explicitly said, your contributions are appreciated. Unfortunately in the real world of social media, the number of likes doesn't always correlate with quality.

Just wanted to say that you are definitely someone I look up to on these forums, even if I am a lowly minion of a med student. Your sarcasm and opinions are well-respected. Although it may not be explicitly said, your contributions are appreciated. Unfortunately in the real world of social media, the number of likes doesn't always correlate with quality.

Take what I post, with a grain of salt like anyone else. But nonetheless, thanks. And by the way, the reason I post when one of them goes up on another blog, it's because I post them here first, and they're yours as much as mine, for better or for worse. Love 'em or hate 'em, agree or disagree, if you guys weren't reading, I wouldn't be posting. (Any of you can have your stuff cross posted on these blogs, if you want, you know). By the way, there's nothing lowly about being a med student. Don't buy into that BS.

My time on the internet has shown me that the more likes a post has, the more pandering bs it usually is. Thoughtful posts get left by the wayside but there are people watching.

Blown Away

(True Story)

Maybe that's the tough thing about EM. Most of the patients you do make a difference with probably won't take the time to call you back.

I bet for every call you get there's a few dozen other that just never called.

Blown Away

(True Story)
Bird strike, please write a book about med school, residency, EM , etc. like a memoir, and include stories like this. I would like to buy the kindle edition. Please let me know when it is available. Thank you!

Bird strike, please write a book about med school, residency, EM , etc. like a memoir, and include stories like this. I would like to buy the kindle edition. Please let me know when it is available. Thank you!

Thank you. I actually do plan on doing that at some point and probably will self publish on Amazon, or one of the other digital self-publishing formats.

I'm envisioning a cross between, Atlas Shrugged, House of God, Seinfeld and The Shining, if that's even possible. I can only hope that it ends up 1% as good of any of those.

Since I'm not a "writer," putting this stuff together is not easy, and is somewhat of a miracle of accidents that I'm even writing any of it, let alone that any of the posts end up remotely readable on any level. I'm not even quite sure why I put the time into it, actually. But when I finally weave them together, in an epic and ridiculous pseudo-memoir plot, in a philosophical-retinal display of absurdity appropriate for the insane post-Obamacare world we're entering, you will be the first to know.

For the most part, I'm putting the puzzle pieces out now. You've probably already read them. Here's one on the opposite end of the spectrum from "Blown Away":

http://drwhitecoat.com/those-shoes/

Some others:

http://drwhitecoat.com/tony-the-doorman/

http://drwhitecoat.com/?s=Birdstrike

(PS- I am not the same guy as "DrWhiteCoat" of EPMonthly: White Coat's call room and DrWhiteCoat.com. I only guest post on his blogs once in a while, as any of you could.)

Last edited:
You have the gift of rhetoic and eloquence.

I'd pay $20 to Birdstrike if he would just tell us what his non-EM physician job is. I'm sure we could build a pretty good pot towards that cause.

Thank you. I actually do plan on doing that at some point and probably will self publish on Amazon, or one of the other digital self-publishing formats.

I'm envisioning a cross between, Atlas Shrugged, House of God, Seinfeld and The Shining, if that's even possible. I can only hope that it ends up 1% as good of any of those.

Since I'm not a "writer," putting this stuff together is not easy, and is somewhat of a miracle of accidents that I'm even writing any of it, let alone that any of the posts end up remotely readable on any level. I'm not even quite sure why I put the time into it, actually. But when I finally weave them together, in an epic and ridiculous pseudo-memoir plot, in a philosophical-retinal display of absurdity appropriate for the insane post-Obamacare world we're entering, you will be the first to know.

For the most part, I'm putting the puzzle pieces out now. You've probably already read them. Here's one on the opposite end of the spectrum from "Blown Away":

http://drwhitecoat.com/those-shoes/

Some others:

http://drwhitecoat.com/tony-the-doorman/

http://drwhitecoat.com/?s=Birdstrike

(PS- I am not the same guy as "DrWhiteCoat" of EPMonthly: White Coat's call room and DrWhiteCoat.com. I only guest post on his blogs once in a while, as any of you could.)
I read the fountainhead and was bored to tears, so maybe atlas is better. Well whenever you do, I'm sure many aspiring students who frequent these boards would be happy to read. You're kinda like blade from the anesthesia boards. Very informative

I read the fountainhead and was bored to tears, so maybe atlas is better. Well whenever you do, I'm sure many aspiring students who frequent these boards would be happy to read. You're kinda like blade from the anesthesia boards. Very informative

Yeah, except Blade doesn't delete his posts arbitrarily down the line.