Board Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnymd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a review book that you would recommend to study for the board exam? I'm just looking for one source that is hopefully not too expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

Bratton's is a good source. The aafp website also has almost 1000 board type questions, you just need your aafp ID number to log on to the questions. If you don't belong to the academy it's probably too pricey.

First Aid for the Family Medicine Boards...a great book. Questions, I'm not so sure. I hear Bratton's is pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much.

Taking them tomorrow - I've used Bratton's, First Aid, and did all of the AAFP questions...hoping that plus what I've learned for the past 3 years is enough!

Does anybody have a review book that you would recommend to study for the board exam? I'm just looking for one source that is hopefully not too expensive.

I only did the AAFP online questions when I found time at work and reviewed my old inservice exams which were more than helpful.

You should trust yourself. You actually know more than you think. :laugh:

I only did the AAFP online questions when I found time at work and reviewed my old inservice exams which were more than helpful.

You should trust yourself. You actually know more than you think. :laugh:

what are the passing statistics for the certification examination?

Can anyone tell me about the recert exam. Was it difficult. Will the 1000 questions on the AAFM web site be enough or should I include a book of questions. The pass rate for most recert exams seems to be high.

Cambie

Can anyone tell me about the recert exam. Was it difficult. Will the 1000 questions on the AAFM web site be enough or should I include a book of questions. The pass rate for most recert exams seems to be high.

Cambie

Cambie, I thought you are an Anesthesiologist??!!

Cambie, I thought you are an Anesthesiologist??!!

I was an FP for four years prior to becoming an anesthesiolgist. I do not want to let my fp certification lapse. I am hoping that with a little effort I can pass the recert exam.

Cambie

Last edited:
I was an FP for four years prior to becoming an anesthesiolgist. I do not want to let my fp ceritfication lapse. I am hoping that with a little effort I can pass the recert exam.

If you haven't been practicing/keeping up with FM, you should study. It's not a cakewalk, and some things have changed over the past seven years.

ok - i've reserached all the old threads and this is what i see

First Aid is superficial and just OK, but covers "everything" and there's no questions.
Bratton's seems pretty popular
Swanson's used to be popular, and I hear it has a lot of mistakes.
Wilbur book is growing in popularity

Everyone says to review old in-service exams
A lot say to do the AAFP questions on-line (if you're a member)
Review the crap out of USPSTF

Not ONE person mentions live courses - are they THAT bad/worthless?

Can anyone chime in on any of this? Thanks!

So, I'm revisiting this thread as the original poster. Seems like it's been so long ago...

Thanks to wonderful advice from those who responded, I ended up doing the aafp questions and reviewing the USPSTF guidelines. I did just fine on the exam with mild to moderate effort. This is qualified by the fact that I was a recent graduate of an intense FM program. My strategy involved taking notes on all of the aafp questions that I missed. This worked out well. It was remarkable to see how many of those questions popped up (nearly verbatim) on the exam.