Bombed the MCAT, 33 aamc practice test, 22 real thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hogfan12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score back this afternoon, made a 22 ( 7/8/7 ).... same exact score as my first practice that I took BEFORE I EVEN STARTED STUDYING.

I took all of the AAMC FL practices, average was about 28. Started off poor (23's and 24's in beginning) and took AAMC 11 and made a 33 (11/11/11) two weeks before real test.

Seriously at a loss for words when I saw my score, almost feel like there was a mistake in scoring. Either way I know that I was pass burn out stage when I took this test and this likely was the reason I scored so much lower than expected. I had been pushing myself so hard for so long, with work, EC's, studying and a relationship that I legitimately woke up most mornings just feeling ill.

Regardless, I am single, cut back on my EC's, got a better job situation and am ready to retake in one month. I still remember most of the questions of the AAMC FL's, although I never took the diagnostic test that aamc offers. I have all the Kaplan and exam kracker books as well. Does the diagnostic exams have good enough questions that I could use as study material for my retake?

And feel free to post any other general advice about retakes. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

TPR a few books with a bunch of practice passages if you need more, my only advice is to get some much needed pre test rest and dont stress because thats what did you under.

Reactions: 1 user
Hogfan12, I am in the exact same boat as you...I also scored a 22 today and feel terrible. I never scored a 33, but I was getting 29s at the end and then BAM! 22! I am retaking in September, I think. I've already started getting secondaries, so hopefully they will see my 2nd test. I am planning to just practice, practice, practice! Good luck to you!

The AAMC diagnostic is excellent. Loads of MCAT-style passages and questions, pretty much covering the full breadth of possible subjects. I used it right at the end of my studying to pinpoint which subjects needed the most final touch-up review.

If you were averaging far higher on practice exams, then I would definitely retake with confidence. Hopefully you'll be less nervous because you'll have already gone through it once and already know exactly what to expect.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for comments, I suppose I'll buy the diagnostic package.

Hogfan12, I am in the exact same boat as you...I also scored a 22 today and feel terrible. I never scored a 33, but I was getting 29s at the end and then BAM! 22! I am retaking in September, I think. I've already started getting secondaries, so hopefully they will see my 2nd test. I am planning to just practice, practice, practice! Good luck to you!
I'm sorry this happened to you too, but at least we're not alone lol. Yeah I am taking August 15th, and I am going to just do as many practice problems as I can and just hope for the best. Good luck to you as well!

Just watched this video before I got all of my MCAT books out of the closet to start studying again, it really helped remotivate me. Thought I would share.

Reactions: 1 users
dude, you got this! Just relax cause you could easily kill this thing. Btw, how did you feel when you were actually taking the test? Did you feel like something was off?

dude, you got this! Just relax cause you could easily kill this thing. Btw, how did you feel when you were actually taking the test? Did you feel like something was off?
I felt fine during PS which I have been performing solid 10/11 on the past months, so I have no idea how that happened. As verbal ended and in biology I started losing focus and found myself spacing out reading passages.

hmmm if you felt fine during PS, then this is really strange but sadly not unheard of. Its happened to others on SDN but im not sure why.

you made good scores on later AAMC FL, you are in really good shape. You fixed your external annoyances, now you will probably dominate your next MCAT with a 30+. GL

Update: took a FL today and made a 29 with no studying since June 10th. It's personal now MCAT........:diebanana:

Reactions: 1 user