Book on Mental Status Exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find myself writing one of about three words for each part of the mental status exam on my patients every morning while my upper levels use more detailed, sophisticated words that do a much better job of describing the patient. Is there a book on this somewhere? All of the book recommendations I've gotten have been related to psychopharm, but I'm sure there's something out there addressing my concern. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

That is the best mental status form I've ever seen! I never thought about compiling all those great vocabulary words onto a form like that. I've seen similar forms, but they were always woefully incomplete and seemed to offer arbitrary options.

One area of weakness it does have is the sensorium area. I think it's funny how you can check off "coma" ever so casually, but then it doesn't specify anything about the coma... They should expand the form to include the neurological exam, including a coma scale, and of course the reflexes and doll's eyes and all that cool stuff you'd do if you suspected a coma in your psych patient or any other patient. I can't imagine anyone just walking by one day and checking off "coma" and walking away. If they were in a coma, they'd probably stop using this form.

Also, why does the intelligence area only offer below-average options? What if a patient is super smart? Or is the intelligence of the patient relative to the examiner?

That is the best mental status form I've ever seen! I never thought about compiling all those great vocabulary words onto a form like that. I've seen similar forms, but they were always woefully incomplete and seemed to offer arbitrary options.

One area of weakness it does have is the sensorium area. I think it's funny how you can check off "coma" ever so casually, but then it doesn't specify anything about the coma... They should expand the form to include the neurological exam, including a coma scale, and of course the reflexes and doll's eyes and all that cool stuff you'd do if you suspected a coma in your psych patient or any other patient. I can't imagine anyone just walking by one day and checking off "coma" and walking away. If they were in a coma, they'd probably stop using this form.

Also, why does the intelligence area only offer below-average options? What if a patient is super smart? Or is the intelligence of the patient relative to the examiner?
Yes, it is not quite there, but pretty close. Another weakness is suicidality. Not a distinction about passive vs active or intrusive thought vs urges or the patient's subjective perception of their own safety. Some misses, but overall, it is great. If set up right, it can almost be a clickable MSE for electronics records.

But yes, most MSE look at the pathology more than the overall function. Almost as if we don't care if the Pt is smart, as long as IQ is not below average. Fine for the ER, but when you follow the patient for years, then the positives also matter.

+1

I think that writing a good MSE is kind of like painting a picture. And unless you're born with a paintbrush in your hand, it's going to take a lot of practice to reach a level where you can throw down a rembrandt in a timely manner. Read a lot of example MSE's and just keep practicing :)

I think that writing a good MSE is kind of like painting a picture. And unless you're born with a paintbrush in your hand, it's going to take a lot of practice to reach a level where you can throw down a rembrandt in a timely manner. Read a lot of example MSE's and just keep practicing :)

I love this! Such a great comparison.

And much like painting a picture is more about a great eye than a great hand, a good MSE ultimately rests on the ability to observe, perceive, and appreciate the nuances as well as the larger scene.

I love this! Such a great comparison.

And much like painting a picture is more about a great eye than a great hand, a good MSE ultimately rests on the ability to observe, perceive, and appreciate the nuances as well as the larger scene.

I disagree. Painting, as is a MSE, is a matter of both a good eye and a good hand. Without being articulate and able to properly emphasize and communicate what you see, your perceptions don't matter.

Without good observation, one has poor information to communicate. Without communication and articulation, you end up with the "I know there's something off, but I can't quite describe it."

Furthermore, the MSE is more than just taking a chronological history, and observing a baseline state. Knowing when to ask what, challenging the patient at certain times with certain questions is as important as general observation, and shouldn't be underemphasized.

Last edited:
The Mental Status Exam Explained by David Robinson, MD is a solid quick read with good vocabulary examples.

isbn: 1-894328-25-6

This looks like an iPhone app version of the handbook called "Psychiatry". I just discovered it.

Psych Dx won't work on my iPOD touch.

You owe me money son.

Psych Dx won't work on my iPOD touch.

You owe me money son.

Majesty. Sorry to hear that you're having that problem. Are you running ios 4? You're the first I've heard to have a problem. Apple can definitely do refunds, if this can't be fixed.

Sent you a PM inquiring about the nature of the incompatibility, and a link on how to get a refund if necessary. But I'd prefer to know what exactly is going wrong since this is the first msg I've gotten about any bugs.

Last edited: