Book Reviews on Social Media as Hobby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celestia0313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an avid book reader, and a friend and I started an Instagram account dedicated to reviewing books, providing recommendations, etc. It sort of died down but I did it for about 2 years, had around 2k followers, and we had some small partnership deals with various bookish brands over the years. Could I put this as a hobby on my application and just kinda describe what I did as above (and would I need to include the instagram handle)? Or would social media/influencer related activities like this be looked down upon by some adcoms? I could just steer clear and stick with baking as my hobby but I feel like that's so common/boring.

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing wrong with this as a hobby.
Please don't put the instagram handle in your application! A screener might feel compelled to review it in the interest of due diligence. This could be a deterrent to passing it on to the larger committee.
If you get an interview and someone asks for it, that would be fine, though.
I trust there is nothing that committee members would find objectionable. If there is, don't include it as a hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users