Books for interview social skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipremed5768

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Any good recommendations? Was even nervous and awkward talking to the lady cutting my hair yesterday. Imagine an interview setting will make it worse.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Go out to a bar/club, and socialize with people. Don't have to hookup, can even bring your SO. Talking to strangers in a more relaxed environment might help you out.

Reactions: 2 users
Although public speaking is a slightly different skillset, I strongly recommend Toastmasters. Public speaking (both impromptu and prepared) in a friendly, welcoming environment. You will get a standing ovation even if you collapse from anxiety. Additionally many clubs have regular socials where you meet at a restaurant or bar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a job that requires a ton of customer service.

Reactions: 2 users
how to win friends and influence people
the power of positive thinking
Lord of the Flies

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In Seriousness, no book can help with social skills. Literally just go talk to people and engage in meaningful conversation. Get a significant other and learn to be intimate. Get a Pomeranian, no one can teach you more about sass.

In jokery, The Bible/Quran/etc. because, based on your post history, your social skills need a bit of divine intervention.

Again, in seriousness, just go talk to people. Get out of the classroom or lab, go work a customer service job or volunteer somewhere with lots of social interaction, go out with your friends. Being a student isn’t just about getting in to medicine - it should be fun!

• Haha
“Just get a signifigant other bro” is like saying “Just get into Hopkins bro”

• Haha
With a little henny and night out, you'd be surprised
I can tell you from experience that the right amount of tequila can not only bring you closer to your significant other, it can increase the number of dependents you claim on your taxes. Good stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go get a job in retail! The more customer service interactions the better!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Go get a job in retail! The more customer service interactions the better!
Alternatively, to knock out both interaction AND clinical experience, do a month long phlebotomy course and get a job in outpatient phlebotomy. Lots of social skills there.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Like, 75% of adults are either married or in a relationship. Seems easy enough. Sorry to be a downer.

And 75% of those 75% are in totally dysfunctional relationships.

My volunteer coordinator (sweetest lady I've ever met) has been in a relationship with a guy for 12 years. He's still legally married to someone else. Lots of other problems they have that I won't disclose.

• Haha
  • Wow
And 75% of those 75% are in totally dysfunctional relationships.

My volunteer coordinator (sweetest lady I've ever met) has been in a relationship with a guy for 12 years. He's still legally married to someone else. Lots of other problems they have that I won't disclose.
Hey, hatred is still social interaction lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
You could try “Behavioral Sciences Review,” by Kaplan

• Haha
It all seriousness OP, a book might seem like an easy way out, but you're really concerned with getting comfortable with social interaction you must find a way to force yourself to spark conversations with strangers. It also doesn't require alcohol. Social interaction comes easy to some, but is difficult to most (at first).

You could:

1. Ask a cashier or the custodian at school how s/he is doing
2. complement stranger's shoes/shirt/hat. Ask where they acquired the item,
3. Talk to classmates about how the course is going for them, and if they have any tips.
4. Stay after class and talk to your professors about their research, or topics discussed in class.
5. Join an intramural sports team
6. Join a club.
7. Choose volunteer opportunities in unfamiliar areas that require you to socialize (not a hospital, where you sit at a desk for 2 hours with an orgo book)
8. Go out and get sauced with your friends.

Last edited:
It all seriousness OP, a book might seem like an easy way out, but you're really concerned with getting comfortable with social interaction you must find a way to force yourself to spark conversations with strangers. It also doesn't require alcohol. Social interaction comes easy to some, but is difficult to most (at first).

You could:

1. Ask a cashier or the custodian at school how s/he is doing
2. complement stranger's shoes/shirt/hat. Ask where they acquired the item,
3. Talk to classmates about how the course is going for them, and if they have any tips.
4. Stay after class and talk to your professors about their research, or topics discussed in class.
5. Join an intramural sports team
6. Join a club.
7. Choose volunteer opportunities in unfamiliar areas that require you to socialize (not a hospital, where you sit at a desk for 2 hours with an orgo book)
8. Go out and get sauced with your friends.
Variant to #4: ask about something related to coursework that's in the news.

Coming from an ex-painfully shy teenager with weak social skills, books might give you some good pointers to start with (believe me, I tried), but I agree that experience is literally the only way to improve. I started small, attending school clubs and events and picking a few people to say hello to each time. Then I started saying yes to outings I normally would stay home for when they asked me. Later I moved on to jobs that required lots of interaction (customer service, making phone calls, etc.), and when I felt fully comfortable, I graduated to patient care! Eventually I was able to study abroad for a month without knowing a single soul and have the time of my life in the process.

Granted this was over the course of quite a few years, so I hope you have time. Don't beat yourself up if it's awkward or painful at first. It's like a muscle that you have to work out - it takes commitment. At the risk of sounding cliche, living starts where your comfort zone ends!

Last edited:
just be a chad brah. lift 24/7 and the chicks will be coming.
The majority of "chads" have a lot of luck with woman not because they lift but because they are confident enough (and interesting enough) to talk to them lmao.

• Haha
With a little henny and night out, you'd be surprised
The majority of "chads" have a lot of luck with woman not because they lift but because they are confident enough (and interesting enough) to talk to them lmao.

Like med school, just pretend you are competant and have a personality long enough for them give an affirmative "Yes" (and start asking you for money)

• Haha