Boston Livin'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are going to Tufts or any Boston School, where are you guys living at? Dorm or Apt? Chinatown or Cambridge? Car or no car?

PA, You're a Bostonian, where are you living at? DDS2B, Dante 60 and DMD05 what about you guys?

DDS2B, since Tufts offer a DMD and not DDS, will we see a change of nom-du-guerre
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where i'll live yet. some ideas are waltham, southern new hampshire, somerville, chelsea, brookline and arlington. these will be a lot cheaper, recent ads ive seen for boston for a 1 or 2 bedroon is up to 1500 a month. also parking in boston isnt very economical, one student told me he spends $300 a month to park his car.
DMD.

I really don't know yet.

If I can find a relatively cheap place on the outskirts of Boston, then maybe I'll go that way. I'm still considering the whole residence thing - despite what Mark said about it.

*shrug* I'm still busy with my finals to consider looking for a place yet, though. I'll start looking in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I used to go to BU undergrad...

A good place to live for students (location/economically) would be brookline, cambridge, brighton (cheaper neighborhood) and maybe right in medford (if you're going to tufts). Besides Tufts, everything else is pretty much accessible by the T. Just get a T pass, and you CAN find parking for low as $100/month...you just have to look hard and look early. Anyway, good luck with your search and studies
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Wherever you go, there you are"

I'm debating whether to bring my car people. Some have told me it's a hassle, some siad it's worth it.

If I have to park my car in a place that I have to take public transportation to go to, wouldn't I be better off renting a car if there's an actual need for it? I think an annual budget of $1200 - $3600 for rental car, cab, and T (this is just based on the saving from parking alone; gas, maintenance, insurance not included) would be sufficient.

What do you all think?

simseema17,
Hey long time no see. What's going on in your life? Hope all is well with you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by simseema17:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by simseema17:

A good place to live for students (location/economically) would be brookline, cambridge, brighton (cheaper neighborhood) and maybe right in medford (if you're going to tufts). Besides Tufts, everything else is pretty much accessible by the T. Just get a T pass, and you CAN find parking for low as $100/month...you just have to look hard and look early. Anyway, good luck with your search and studies
biggrin.gif

tufts undergrad campus is located in medford but not the dental/med/vet school, its downtown boston (kneeland st).

DrDMD05,
I never noticed you're a Nashvillian. How 'bout that. ARe you a country music fan? On boarding note, ParisAmel mentioned in one of the posting about how the Kneeland area has some notorious living quaters with rodents and questionable safety.

What have you heard? Did you give the dorm a thought? I wished I know somebody who is gong to Tufts right now. I am seriously thinking about calling Tufts and asking them to connect me with some students.

I've only been in Nashville for three years. My wife and I are from New Hampshire, she went to school at Bently in Waltham, Ma and then got a job down here. We like Nashville (minus the country music), but we long to be home in the Boston area. I had never given the dorms a thought because we have a child, but I think that parisamel is exaggerating the truth. Although Tufts is located on the boarder of Chinatown it's only 2-3 blocks away from BU's SDM. And about those students who couldn't graduate because of patient deficiencies, I sure BU is on par with Tufts seeing that they draw from the same patient pool.
DMD

My bad! You're right, I forgot only Tufts undergrad is in Medford. I haven't been back to Boston in awhile...I need to go!!! I'm just about to graduate from undergrad here at SUNY Binghamton. So far I've gotten mostly rejections from the dental schools I applied to, still haven't heard from a couple (but it's so late now, I doubt it'll happen). I've applied to a few different masters and post-bacc programs. I really hope to go to Buffalo. Anyway, any advice/comments/questions are welcome and I wish you all the best
wink.gif

------------------
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Here is the website to the MBTA that talks about monthly passes: http://www.mbta.com/passfares/types/index.cfm

The standard pass will run you $35 a month, but some schools offer reduced rates on passes.

As far as a car goes it depends on where you are planning to live. When I lived in Cambridge I only used my car to go to the grocery store, movies, or to get out of Mass. for a weekend. Other than that the car stayed put. I would only need gas about once a month. If you are plan on not having a car I would suggest getting a place within walking distance to a T-stop, or close to a bus route. Personally, I don't like buses very much so I chose to live near the T. If you are planning to live in Boston, no car will needed. Just rent a car if you want to get away for a while.

The T will get you anywhere you need to go. Good luck with school and enjoy Boston.

[This message has been edited by Zero Cool (edited April 05, 2001).]