Boston U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey i got the email today and it says "if email is blank, please reply"

and that's it? haha...Should i just ask where the hell is my email?

susie

Members don't see this ad.

does a wallet sized photo mean a passport photo or the slightly larger ones - you know like from picture day in elemtary school??

also, do you think it's important what you wear for the picture??

I just added BU to my list and paid AADSAS the application fee on Aug 15th. As of today, AADSAS has not mailed out the print out to BU yet. However, I got an email today from BU with blank email. So I replied and they sent me an instruction to send the fee and DAT score report.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clover said:
does a wallet sized photo mean a passport photo or the slightly larger ones - you know like from picture day in elemtary school??

also, do you think it's important what you wear for the picture??

usually 2x2 picture will suffice

xxxTheDonxxx said:
i heard some schols will refund your money if they reject you. You can always bit#h at them until they refund your money. I'm not counting on it :laugh:

Which dental schools do this? :laugh:

So no BU picture until they ask for it?

If anyone is interested....

The following is from the last application cycle (2005-2006):

Total Applications: 3,912 (record high)
Applicants interviewed: 562
Applicants enrolled: 115
Applicants waitlisted: 100
Average Entering students total GPA: 3.35
Average Entering students science GPA: 3.31
Average DAT academic: 20
Average DAT science: 20

Good luck!

Cold Front said:

Good luck!

:mad: close to 4000 applicants... How much are they making each year from fees they receive? can't believe avg. scores are 20s....
where did you find this info?

sk101 said:
can't believe avg. scores are 20s....
Count on it. Most people I know in my class got 20+ on the DAT.

The source is from the school's annual report (2005-2006), on page 35 to be exact. Click here to accept the facts.

While you are there, you will notice less than 10% of applicants get accepted. I wouldn't be surprised if the stats go up again for 06/07 cycle.

Cold Front said:
Count on it. Most people I know in my class got 20+ on the DAT.

The source is from the school's annual report (2005-2006), on page 35 to be exact. Click here to accept the facts.

While you are there, you will notice less than 10% of applicants get accepted. I wouldn't be surprised if the stats go up again for 06/07 cycle.

I know so many buddies who graduated from BU with a lot less stat in other words their stats were a lot lower than national avg.... well, it was from few
years ago.... can't believe stats are shooting up.....

sk101 said:
can't believe stats are shooting up.....
In general, most admission criteria are good bivariate indicators of dental school performance. Studies indicated that students with higher undergraduate science GPAs and DAT academic scores were more likely to achieve higher NB-I and NB-II scores - which is a major goal for every dental school in the country.

The undergraduate science GPA and admission interview scores are always the most consistent determinants of dental school GPA. Students with lower undergraduate science GPAs, and DAT academic scores are more likely to remediate, to repeat an academic year, or to be dismissed.

Schools learn from their previous matriculants, that's why they revise the profile of future applicants. Hence why stats are going up in all dental schools, and not just at BU.

In addition to that, the future looks bright (and busy) for the dental profession. Fewer schools will open for ever increasing number of applicants, and therefore the competition will remain fierce.

Cold Front said:
Schools learn from their previous matriculants, that's why they revise the profile of future applicants. Hence why stats are going up in all dental schools, and not just at BU.
Stats are going up because competition is increasing and there are more applicants to choose from, not so much that schools are revising their former acceptance profiles.

So many people apply to places such as BU and NYU because they have the idea that these are "safety schools." Not anymore. The sheer number of applicants to these two schools now outweighs the advantage that used to be gained by their large class sizes.

KOM said:
Stats are going up because competition is increasing and there are more applicants to choose from, not so much that schools are revising their former acceptance profiles.
There are many other factors that contribue to "why dental schools are becoming more difficult to get into". Most people just think of the obvious ones.

Cold Front said:
There are many other factors that contribue to "why dental schools are becoming more difficult to get into". Most people just think of the obvious ones.

Because the obvious ones are the most relevant.

what if ive sent everything BUT the picture, since thats what ive done. would they not consider my file complete without that picture. the email said nothing about pictures, man!

*edited*
forget it. got all the info from the previous page :p

So do not send BU a picture until they request it?

apparently, they havnt updated their website. the admissions officer said no photographs for this year, but the website still requires us to send one.

My print out was sent out on 7/24 and I still havent gotten anything from BU.

is there anybody who hasnt heard yet from BU like me?

should I go ahead and pay the application fee? I mean. I didnt get the blank e mail yet..

can somebody tell me the link to pay BU application fee?

Cold Front said:

Good luck!

What the hell?...they waitlisted 100 people? That number seems absurdly high to me.

SugarNaCl said:
Someone on SDN said they were rejected from Boston U for this current cycle. I haven't even heard that they wanted their application fee $$ from me yet and my app was mailed out from AADSAS back on July 10. Schools received it by July 17. Anyone else have this?

I'm reapplying from last year's cycle. I got the rejection letter dated July 12, 2006. I submitted for this year's cycle on June 1 but it was sent June 24th. I crapped my pants thinking they already rejected me but I think it's just from last year since I got an email to pay BU on 8/11.

BU shouldn't scare people like that!

appleonius said:
I'm reapplying from last year's cycle. I got the rejection letter dated July 12, 2006. I submitted for this year's cycle on June 1 but it was sent June 24th. I crapped my pants thinking they already rejected me but I think it's just from last year since I got an email to pay BU on 8/11.

BU shouldn't scare people like that!

Same here. I got a rejection letter and then a week later I received a letter asking for application fee. So I emailed BU and she said the rejection letter was from the previous cycle.