Bottom Ranked Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine_man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are so many reference books and magazines about the top 50 med schools, etc. I was just curious, what are the bottom ranked 10 med schools?

my guesses:

Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, LSU, LSU Shrevport, ... all i can think of ...

Members don't see this ad.

medicine_man said:
There are so many reference books and magazines about the top 50 med schools, etc. I was just curious, what are the bottom ranked 10 med schools?

my predictions:

Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, LSU, LSU Shrevport, ... all i can think of ...
hahaha.... any med school that gives an MD is fine. but I don't think any one is the "worst." this is a tough question,...but then u'd be offending people

medicine_man said:

my predictions:

Funny how you list all of the Louisiana medical schools.
FYI, Tulane is ranked 51st.

Members don't see this ad :)
medicine_man said:

my predictions:

Wow, why such hate for the Louisiana schools?

YzIa said:
Funny how you list all of the Louisiana medical schools.
FYI, Tulane is ranked 51st.

one minute too slow.

Also, LSU is highly respected from what I hear.

I can almost guarantee you Ros Frank is dead last. Did a grad program there for a while, they are on probation, no major hospital affiliation, and are in the middle of nowhere.

i'd be happy to get into any one of those. :rolleyes:

LimboSurfer said:
I can almost guarantee you Ros Frank is dead last. Did a grad program there for a while, they are on probation, no major hospital affiliation, and are in the middle of nowhere.

guaranteed huh? ill put some $ on that. The whole probation argument doesnt hold; columbia is in danger of the same thing; stanford was on it in the mid 90's. Ros Frank's match list is actually quite good, check it out (it's a sticky in the forum). I believe they have respect in the med community. Well, im not going there, but i think they draw unnecessary ire.
now their grad program on the other hand....

Anyone have a guess as to where Temple stands in the rankings? I know it's not in the top...but you think closer to the middle or bottom?...not to be a number ***** :D

quit ****tttin on LA schools. LSU's are good, with nice facilities, NO has a simulator that only other school that has is stanford, and the clinical exp people get at charity whether your at Tulane or lsu-No is better than a lot of top research schools and their private hospitals.

I think it's important to keep the perspective here that all US allopathic schools are good. It's more of an argument of which one is "less good".

That said, my parents were med faculty at NYMC and Einstein and didn't have many positive things to say about these institutions. Granted, this was 15 years ago so things might have changed since their tenure.

you didn't like your grad program there, therefore their medical school must be dead last in the nation. excellent logic. the medical school may not have the best reputation, but their students do well on the boards and match very well, so some residency directors out there either love taking students from the "dead last" school or they actually see that RF students have something to offer.

LimboSurfer said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I love how people discount drexel because of the MCP fiasco. Keep it up the rumors kids because when I apply there, less competition. :thumbup:

I personally think that Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Cornell, and Columbia should be at the bottom 10. Oh and I think that Dalhousie University should be top 10 :)

I interviewed at Drexel and thought it was a very nice school. I have no idea why it has such a poor reputation on this forum. The Dean of Admissions talked about the whole financial thing with us and it seemed like such a petty matter.

mshheaddoc said:
I love how people discount drexel because of the MCP fiasco. Keep it up the rumors kids because when I apply there, less competition. :thumbup:

I personally think that Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Cornell, and Columbia should be at the bottom 10. Oh and I think that Dalhousie University should be top 10 :)
Keep your chaotic ideas in the lounge. Away with thee! :)

EDIT: Princeton? We are talking about medical schools here right?

YzIa said:
Keep your chaotic ideas in the lounge. Away with thee! :)

EDIT: Princeton? We are talking about medical schools here right?
:D Ok so I was being facetious :D And yes you don't know about princetons program? :laugh: ;)

My drexel stmt holds true though. I'm still allowed to leave. I got permisson from the super mods :D

medicine_man said:

my predictions:

None of the La schools belong in the bottom 10. Tulane and LSU NO will give you one of the best clinical experiences in the south. Is there a particular reason you think La sucks so much?

I have good news for you all who are interested in bottom rungs of the ranking ladder. The I.R.S. has just asked the US News to rank all physicians. Now let’s see who still wants to be like Harvard?

calcrew14 said:
I have good news for you all who are interested in bottom rungs of the ranking ladder. The I.R.S. has just asked the US News to rank all physicians. Now let’s see who still wants to be like Harvard?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I personally think that Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Cornell, and Columbia should be at the bottom 10. Oh and I think that Dalhousie University should be top 10 :)[/QUOTE]

Are you Canadian? Nobody thinks Dal is top ten anything. Only in Canada where there is only 10 schools (or so) could Dal be top ten. I'm a Canadian too, and I too was once upon a time a self-righteous Canadian when talking to Americans - so I understand where you're coming from. Are you doing undergrad in Canada? If so, you should come to the land of the free for few years and see what we look like from the outside...it's embarassing. If you're already here, I'm surprised you still see the CAN so positively

I dont care where I get accepted... all that matters to me that it is a U.S accredited school. Be it the worst or best... At the end I will end up with my degree. Going to Harvard do not guarantee you a 250+ on step one, or a Neurosurgery residency position. Schools gives you the opportunity, and it is up to you to make the best out of it.

mshheaddoc said:
thebiz98 said:
Are you Canadian? Nobody thinks Dal is top ten anything. Only in Canada where there is only 10 schools (or so) could Dal be top ten. I'm a Canadian too, and I too was once upon a time a self-righteous Canadian when talking to Americans - so I understand where you're coming from. Are you doing undergrad in Canada? If so, you should come to the land of the free for few years and see what we look like from the outside...it's embarassing. If you're already here, I'm surprised you still see the CAN so positively
It was kinda a joke, sorry. I know many "americans" don't look at the candian schools so it wasn't well known. Not many picked up on that. I was being sarcastic.

thebiz98 said:

Are you Canadian? Nobody thinks Dal is top ten anything. Only in Canada where there is only 10 schools (or so) could Dal be top ten. I'm a Canadian too, and I too was once upon a time a self-righteous Canadian when talking to Americans - so I understand where you're coming from. Are you doing undergrad in Canada? If so, you should come to the land of the free for few years and see what we look like from the outside...it's embarassing. If you're already here, I'm surprised you still see the CAN so positively[/QUOTE]

man that's a first, seeing a canadian bash his homeland. i have a lot of canadian friends too. i do hate the america vs canada all the time, it's a stupid arguement.

I would like to clear a few things up. First of all, I never asked what the "worst" medical schools are. I never even called them "bad." My question was simply what you guys think the 10 "bottom ranked" medical schools are. Whether you decide to call them "less good" or "bad" schools is up to you. In my opinion, any US accredited medical school is a good one. They all grant the medical degree, and have relatively high admissions standards, meaning that at least most students who are accepted into medical school are fantastic ones.

Another thing. I seem to be getting bashed because I Included the LA schools in what I thought were the bottom ranked schools. I only mention them because I go to school in Louisiana, and whenever I look at medical school rankings (ie us news a world report 2005 top 50 med schools, etc.), they are nowhere to be found.

medicine_man said:
I would like to clear a few things up. First of all, I never asked what the "worst" medical schools are. I never even called them "bad." My question was simply what you guys think the 10 "bottom ranked" medical schools are. Whether you decide to call them "less good" or "bad" schools is up to you. In my opinion, any US accredited medical school is a good one. They all grant the medical degree, and have relatively high admissions standards, meaning that at least most students who are accepted into medical school are fantastic ones.

I would generally agree. If a school is LCME accredited (Rosalind Franklin is presently on probation), it is producing legitimate physicians. Medical schools come in three flavors, good, better, and best. If you make it into a US accredited medical school, you've done quite well.

That said, the schools mentioned earlier tend to be thought of as the least desireable. I've had personal experience with Franklin, so I know I'd definitely put them at or near the bottom.

medicine_man said:

Another thing. I seem to be getting bashed because I Included the LA schools in what I thought were the bottom ranked schools. I only mention them because I go to school in Louisiana, and whenever I look at medical school rankings (ie us news a world report 2005 top 50 med schools, etc.), they are nowhere to be found.
Well, we cleared that up that Tulane does appear in the rankings (51) this year. One school that I would venture a guess to be in the "bottom ten" would be Howard. Low admissions standards - I think because they are geared towards URMs, unorganized admissions, bad reputation, and apparently their grads are more likely to be sued for malpractice than any other medical school - or so I read.

Intuition would tell me howard would be amongst the bottom ten as well, yes.

Those that rejected me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LimboSurfer said:
Intuition would tell me howard would be amongst the bottom ten as well, yes.
Your intuition is "simplistic and foolish." Not my words, but those of Dr. Jordan Cohen (president of the AAMC) towards an agency that tried to say the same bs ur posting.

**I'll add that your "intuition" on Howard Med is similar to Donald Trump's intuition on good hairstyles for balding men.

The Remix said:
Your intuition is "simplistic and foolish." Not my words, but those of Dr. Jordan Cohen (president of the AAMC) towards an agency that tried to say the same bs ur posting.

**I'll add that your "intuition" on Howard Med is similar to Donald Trump's intuition on good hairstyles for balding men.
I would think that the AAMC would not want any negative publicity against any allopathic schools to be validified, and therefore regardless of what the negative press would be, they would most likely discount it.

YzIa said:
I would think that the AAMC would not want any negative publicity against any allopathic schools to be validified, and therefore regardless of what the negative press would be, they would most likely discount it.
Wrong, the AAMC didn't come out and defend and discount negative press surrounding JHU's Internal Med department after it was discovered that they were violating work agreements for residents.

But isn't howard a school of osteopathic medicine?

medicine_man said:

my predictions:

JACKASS TROLL!

You have obviously never seen the facilities......what...school in New Orleans doesn't sound good to you? MD=MD look at their matchlist!

I'm quite confused by the inclination to call anybody you don't agree with a troll (and other nasty names to boot). Perhaps people should figure out what the definition of a troll really is, and also read an entire thread before making such a pronouncement. As a matter of fact, this OP, while listing schools that many people disagree with, was asking a legitimate question, and has responded in an even-minded way in the course of the thread.

Termwean said:
JACKASS TROLL!

You have obviously never seen the facilities......what...school in New Orleans doesn't sound good to you? MD=MD look at their matchlist!

:laugh: You tell him Mike! :clap: :clap:

To the OP, maybe the reason why the LSUs aren't ranked is because they don't care what others think so they didn't bother to send in their data to U.S. News and World Report. Ever think of that? :idea:

BTw, I read the whole thread, and am free to label the OP a troll if I wish. You do not have to agree with me. What is the point of starting a thread about "bottom-ranked" med schools and then dropping a few names in to flame the fire. It is obvious that shim is trying to upset a few people and shim did.....me, so I responded in a manner to my liking. I have to defend the future school( and my number#1 choice) that I worked so hard to get accepted to. OP will be lucky to get into ANY med school (judged by his self-reported stats from another thread) whether it be allo, osteo, Carib, Canadian, European.....or...OMG...lucky to get into one in Louisiana.

Termwean said:
BTw, I read the whole thread, and am free to label the OP a troll if I wish. You do not have to agree with me. What is the point of starting a thread about "bottom-ranked" med schools and then dropping a few names in to flame the fire. It is obvious that shim is trying to upset a few people and shim did.....me, so I responded in a manner to my liking. I have to defend the future school( and my number#1 choice) that I worked so hard to get accepted to. OP will be lucky to get into ANY med school (judged by his self-reported stats from another thread) whether it be allo, osteo, Carib, Canadian, European.....or...OMG...lucky to get into one in Louisiana.

let me refesh their memories...

QUOTE: MEDICINE_MAN
this is a personal question pertaining to myself (and all of you who have done as bad as I have in their bio courses).

The section of the MCAT that I am worried most about is the Biological Sciences. my current gpa in biology courses is 2.5. Now, i know it is impossible to tell how someone will do on a specific section of the MCAT based on their GPA due to the infinite confounding variables, but how possible (really unlikely, unlikely, possible, etc.) would you say it would be for me to achieve at least a 9 on the biological sciences section of the MCAT?

Right....so maybe in his original post he was just trying to figure out which schools he might have a shot of getting into....to which I reply...probably none unless you get off your ass and start studying.....and LSU doesn't want you either. :D

medicine_man said:

Guess you didn't look at those rankings to close then. If you go to school in Louisiana, you should know that Tulane and LSU-NO have good programs. Just an overall poor post to begin with.

papajojo said:
Guess you didn't look at those rankings to close then. If you go to school in Louisiana, you should know that Tulane and LSU-NO have good programs. Just an overall poor post to begin with.

.......The Reason I Called Him A Troll.....

Honestly, I don't think the OP deserves to be flamed. If what drguy posted is correct, then this person was legitimately asking for advice as far as what US MD schools he might have a chance of getting in at. Despite the fact that getting into any US MD school is an accomplishment, there are particular schools which people can gauge that they have a fairer chance of getting into than others based on scores. (Obviously, much more goes into admissions than numbers, but I challenge anyone who applied to school to tell me that they completely ignored numbers and picked whatever schools they liked... I certainly applied by averare numbers and location and thats it... once I got interviews, I began to realize the more important things about schools and chose the schools I liked best on things such as curriculum, etc...) I think the OP was simply wondering what schools he had the best shot of getting into given his less than stellar numbers... I, for one, am not about to offer up any schools for the sole reason that people get so offended and start to flame ya... but I do kind of regret that he can't get an honest answer from older people who have already applied without getting attacked. This site is supposed to be about helping out fellow pre-meds. So people chill out and stop getting so offended.

All I can say to the OP is to get the MSAR and look at average numbers that are closer to yours and you'll have a better idea.

medicine_man said:

my predictions:

Where does he ask," Wondering what school's I can get into" or does he ask about msar stats?
He might have honorable intentions....I just liked flaming him in return for him flaming my school. He speaks of "so many references" and then he makes a "prediction." He should just seek out those references instead of just pulling a few names out of the top of his head. And, if he does truely go to school in Louisiana, and is intending to go to med school, he would know that the LSU system puts out great, experienced primary care docs.

Termwean said:
Where does he ask," Wondering what school's I can get into" or does he ask about msar stats?
He might have honorable intentions....I just liked flaming him in return for him flaming my school. He speaks of "so many references" and then he makes a "prediction." He should just seek out those references instead of just pulling a few names out of the top of his head. And, if he does truely go to school in Louisiana, and is intending to go to med school, he would know that the LSU system puts out great, experienced primary care docs.

Yea I agree that he shouldn't have guessed about schools... after all, the whole point of his post I gathered was to find out this info that he didn't know. He does mention that the references he checked out only mention the top 50, so he was probably wondering how to find out about the rest of the country's med schools. I don't think he knows what the MSAR is. Hes probably only heard of like USNews which doesn't even tell you about the average numbers of admitted students. I understand you being offended about your school totally, but let me just point out that if he does go to school in LA, that does not mean he knows anything about med schools there, esp when he hasn't taken the MCAT yet. I honestly barely knew anything about RWJ (my state school which is also on my ugrad campus) and I walked through the school pretty much every day to get to my lab. So basically, yeah, stupid of him to drop some school names, but all in all, I think his intentions were sincere.

Termwean said:

Termwean, I would just like to sincerely thank you for your uplifting comments regarding my admissions to med school. By the way termwean, you didn't really have the most terrific "self-reported stats", nor were you the "conventional applicant" either. You received a 24 on the MCAT and still got in to medical school. I understand that you had other experiences, combat medic in three warzones i think it was etc. Oh yeah, and aren't you like 34? Calling someone a Troll... I sure hope you have a more expansive vocabulary than that.

Termwean said:
He speaks of "so many references" and then he makes a "prediction."

I know I used the wrong word, "prediction;" i did not give "so many references" as you quoted me , so I'm sorry. I changed "predictions" to "guesses" just for you Termwean.

I said it, and I'll say it again: I did not mean to offend anybody. If I did, I am really sorry. I stated in a previous reply that I believe any US accredited medical school is a good one, and that at least most of the students that go to them are most definately very smart, and competent in academics.

Lay off LA, will ya? They invented jazz.

I never bragged about my stats.....when I should have been studying for the MCAT I was under rocket and morter fire, I know I got lucky by getting in...as the application process is a big crap shoot. Luckily I had a good GPA and good life experience to back up my lame ass score. I never dissed anyones school.....what's wrong w/ being 33....you will be too. Man, you must have searched through a hell of a lot of post's to finds my MCAT....but I wasn't hiding....I would have erased that post if I was embarrassed, touche...good one, I surrender, you got me.
Dude, I have no problem with you, I was just having fun b/c you flamed my school. This thread has gone on long enough. If being a MD is one of your dreams, I sincerely hope that you get in b/c the whole process is a bitch. Good luck!