BR Orgo example 3.3 Chirality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Br orgo ch 3 example 3.3 in the solution for the second chiral carbon why does it show the arrow going 1 to 3 to 2 leading to S chirality? If it went 1-2-3 it would be R. I'm confused. Is this a typo or am i missing something? Are the prioritizations correct in the picture?

2iboifl.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Wheres the 4th group on the chiral carbon? If the 4th priority group points out of the screen toward you, then it would be R since it should be reversed when you orient it toward the back. If this is not the case, then it should be R

Wheres the 4th group on the chiral carbon? If the 4th priority group points out of the screen toward you, then it would be R since it should be reversed when you orient it toward the back. If this is not the case, then it should be R

it says #4 is in back.

Members don't see this ad :)
The chirality and direction are correct but priority groups 2 and 3 should be reversed. C incorrectly labeled 2 has Oxygen and Hydrogens whereas C incorrectly labeled 3 has Oxygen and more C's to give a higher priority.

The chirality and direction are correct but priority groups 2 and 3 should be reversed. C incorrectly labeled 2 has Oxygen and Hydrogens whereas C incorrectly labeled 3 has Oxygen and more C's to give a higher priority.

I agree - it's S, they've screwed up 2 and 3.