BS/MD ( state school ) vs BS @ Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew101

Reaction score
I received admission offer for BS MD program from U Toledo ( offer guarantees interview and no MCAT required if 3.5 is maintained ) and Wayne state ( says guaranteed medical school interview if MCAT score is in 75 percentile )

I get a better scholarship offer from Cornell. Should I select a state school over ivy league because of early assurance to MD ( medical school ) ?
confused high school student....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Better scholarship at Cornell? If Cornell is cheaper, that's even more reason to attend. I'm sure if you keep up the good work you'll have no problem with a medical accepting you in 4 years or so!

wait so these BS MD programs are only for interviews? So there's no guarantee for admission? Unless you can find a program statistic that 99% of people in the program get accepted post interview, if Cornell is cheaper, you might as well go there

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take Cornell (safer option, more research opportunities, better brand name, etc).

The only BS/MD programs that are worth it would be no MCAT and a guaranteed acceptance (UMKC 6 year, Brown PLME 8 year, etc). However, both of your programs (Toledo & Wayne State) still require an interview which is a down-side since those schools could just choose to reject or waitlist you after your interview. This happened with some other BS/MD programs in the past, so many students regret joining those types of BS/MD programs.

Reactions: 2 users
i would definitely choose Cornell over the bs/md program, considering it's cheaper, has a much better brand name and ample amount of clinical/research opportunities :)

Cornell will also provide more opportunities if you decide that you don’t want to do medicine.

Cornell is known for grade deflation, so keep that in mind. The primary driver of acceptance is GPA and MCAT.

So it does not guarantee acceptance?

Without a guaranteed MD acceptance, the BS/MD program means nothing.