SURF programs for a BS/MD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsn21

Reaction score
My child is in a Bs/md program and thinking of applying to SURF programs but most of the programs expecting students that have MD/PhD interest. As she’s already in a bs/md programs, that becomes disadvantaged in her case. As she’s in an OOS program, she can’t continue her current research in Summer. That becomes too expensive for her as there’s housing. What are best options back home for her during the Summer to work that are medical related. She doesn’t have any medical related certifications.

Members don't see this ad.

Why doesn't your adult child come here and ask this question so that we can better advise?

Sorry, not trying to be obtuse and I know your intent is good, but it is kind of a waste of our time to provide advice on a question when for all we know your daughter doesn't even want help finding a medical related activity for the summer.

Reactions: 6 users
If you want to answer, please answer otherwise please don't pass comments without even knowing her background. Do you think she got into BS/MD program without even working hard? How do you think she is not motivated or doesn't google to find out the options. She is doing her own research in a different way. I am also just trying to help her.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to answer, please answer otherwise please don't pass comments without even knowing her background. Do you think she got into BS/MD program without even working hard? How do you think she is not motivated or doesn't google to find out the options. She is doing her own research in a different way. I am also just trying to help her.
I didn't say anything about whether or not your daughter works hard, or whether she is motivated. I'm sure she is very bright and a very hard worker.

But while I know you mean well, it is a waste of all of our time for us to try and guess what she wants to do over the summer. If she really wants help from SDN (and our experts which include a number of very busy physician and adcom members), it really would be better for her to ask herself so that we can directly address her questions and get more context on who she is and what she is interested in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ok but do you have any suggestions? I am not definitely wasting anyone's time. Everything conveyed here is going to be conveyed to her. If she gets trapped in this forum, she has to spend plenty of time so I just help her.

Can you tell us which programs she is interested in (there are hundreds)? Does she want to travel to another school? I don't understand your statement that being in a BS/MD program disadvantages her. Where is home? Where is college? What's her GPA? Who's writing her reference/support letters? Has she ever done research before?

We are missing everything that is relevant to provide help, and while I appreciate your helping her as a parent, at some point, she needs to be able to develop her own voice. Most of these programs require at least a resume and a statement of interest, and being in a BS/MD program would not disqualify her. She is probably spending more time on TT and IG, so I don't think spending time talking to experts on SDN is going to distract from her usual online behavior.

Reactions: 3 users
You can show your daughter how you set up an account and how you asked a question on this forum. She can "watch" the question she posed and only come back to view the responses. It need not be a time sink. That said, it is much better for us to know more about her. She can also ask in the Confidential Consult section if she'd rather not put her private information "out there" in a way that might make her identifiable to people who know her in other settings.

Reactions: 4 users
ok but do you have any suggestions? I am not definitely wasting anyone's time. Everything conveyed here is going to be conveyed to her. If she gets trapped in this forum, she has to spend plenty of time so I just help her.
I suggest that she come and ask these questions so that we can actually provide useful advice. Without details, including but not limited to the ones highlighted by @Mr.Smile12 , you're going to get advice that is at best useless and at worst potentially misleading.

Taking time to plan can and receive advice can be some of the most valuable time spent in this process.

Reactions: 3 users