BU vs. Umass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4malit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for posting this on here, but I wanted to crowd-source this question because I don't have anyone else to talk to regarding medical school.

I am deciding between BU and UMass for medical school. I'm a MA resident, hoping to practice in MA (and maybe do residency in Boston). My factors for deciding right now are, in order:

1. how well each school prepares you for Step 1
2. availability of research
3. cost

There's some weird factors also. My dad works at BMC so I get small perks like parking for free. Umass will be 88k cheaper (22k*4 years - just tuition/fees) because I have enough saved to cover any difference in cost of living.

That's all the huge points I can think of. If there's anything factors that people normally wouldn't think of, please let me know. Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

this is a premed question

email bu and see if you can get some money

1. you will prepare yourself for step 1
2. research is everywhere but if you're at bu you will be closer to harvard hospitals where there are tons of researchers who wouldn't mind some help
3. obviously umass

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for posting this on here, but I wanted to crowd-source this question because I don't have anyone else to talk to regarding medical school.

I am deciding between BU and UMass for medical school. I'm a MA resident, hoping to practice in MA (and maybe do residency in Boston). My factors for deciding right now are, in order:

1. how well each school prepares you for Step 1
2. availability of research
3. cost

There's some weird factors also. My dad works at BMC so I get small perks like parking for free. Umass will be 88k cheaper (22k*4 years - just tuition/fees) because I have enough saved to cover any difference in cost of living.

That's all the huge points I can think of. If there's anything factors that people normally wouldn't think of, please let me know. Thank you in advance :)

My incredibly biased opinion says go to UMass.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If the end goal is to stay in Mass, Umass should get you there. Both schools are going to provide a great medical education, and I think you will be able to land the same residency coming from UMass or BU.

(1) Prep for Step 1 will be dependent on you. Both schools will give adequate time.
(2) BU has a slight advantage in research but Umass has opportunities as well
(3) Save your 100k

The biggest question is where will you be happier. If you are happy with UMass, save your money. Congrats!

Umass by far. Never overlook the cost of attendance. UMass has everything BU has and a better CoA. In terms of cost value you're getting a way better value for UMass. It baffles me why BU's CoA is so ridiculously high.

Last edited:
When it comes down to it, I think that this is purely a financial decision. Both schools will prepare you for success and ultimately it's going to come down to which one is more affordable (at least in my opinion).