UMass vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Senior_Applicant

Reaction score
UMass Chan
+In-state tuition (around $100K cheaper overall)
+Significantly more NIH research funding
+Great match throughout Mass
+Higher ranked in medicine
-Primarily primary care focused
-In Worcester- biggest con

Tufts
+In Boston
+Great match list in Boston/NE
+Better "Layman" presitge
-High tuition+COL
-Not as much research funding as UMass

If the location of these schools was the same, I would definitely pick UMass. However, I have lived in a major city for the past 5 years and consider myself a big city person. Money is not end all be all, but should play a factor. Want to end up in the northeast, both match great in the Northeast (Umass more so in primary care specialties, but most likely just student selection). Interested in a wide array of specialties, from competitive (ortho) to less so (ID and peds), so want to keep options open. Also being from Mass, seems like lots of people skew decision towards Tufts due to layman prestige of the institution in the state.

Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also between these two schools so more than happy to chat about pros/cons if you're still deciding! Personally, I am leaning towards UMass because of the IS tuition and because the students seemed really happy at second look but I feel the same way about the location being the biggest con.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also between these two schools so more than happy to chat about pros/cons if you're still deciding! Personally, I am leaning towards UMass because of the IS tuition and because the students seemed really happy at second look but I feel the same way about the location being the biggest con.
I went to both second looks and was definitely very impressed by UMass and will be going there! In my opinion, Worcester obviously isn't a major city that Boston is, but it still has plenty of diverse restaurants, shopping, bars, and good access to nature. IMO, it has "enough" that I wouldn't feel isolated and bored. Additionally, it's not like it's cut off from the rest of the world; it's an 1:15 commuter rail ride away to downtown Boston any hour of the day. Couple that with Top 40 external research funding, a $175 million donation couple years ago, and a beautiful+new campus and it definitely influenced me to decide UMass. Instate tuition was the icing on the cake.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to both second looks and was definitely very impressed by UMass and will be going there! In my opinion, Worcester obviously isn't a major city that Boston is, but it still has plenty of diverse restaurants, shopping, bars, and good access to nature. IMO, it has "enough" that I wouldn't feel isolated and bored. Additionally, it's not like it's cut off from the rest of the world; it's an 1:15 commuter rail ride away to downtown Boston any hour of the day. Couple that with Top 40 external research funding, a $175 million donation couple years ago, and a beautiful+new campus and it definitely influenced me to decide UMass. Instate tuition was the icing on the cake.
(Obviously biased post-decision, but I was also impressed by Tufts as well)

Isn't Worcester like a 45 minute drive from Boston? I literally commute more than that everyday to work. I don't get how location can be a big factor here when its literally almost the same location. And UMass being significantly cheaper and a better school, this shouldn't even be a question in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't Worcester like a 45 minute drive from Boston? I literally commute more than that everyday to work. I don't get how location can be a big factor here when its literally almost the same location. And UMass being significantly cheaper and a better school, this shouldn't even be a question in my opinion.
Indeed. 45 minute drive, hour fifteen minute train