Buffalo Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjs16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up at UB and after reading the interview feedback I was wondering about one specific question that continued to show up. They seem to like to ask survey questions like, "How would you count how many gas stations there are in the US" or "How many mammograms in the US each year" or "How many doctors have quite smoking in the past year". I was wondering how people attempted to answer this question. I was thinkg taking a survey from a specific subpopulation, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated because it seems like most everyone got this question. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

mjs16 said:
I have an interview coming up at UB and after reading the interview feedback I was wondering about one specific question that continued to show up. They seem to like to ask survey questions like, "How would you count how many gas stations there are in the US" or "How many mammograms in the US each year" or "How many doctors have quite smoking in the past year". I was wondering how people attempted to answer this question. I was thinkg taking a survey from a specific subpopulation, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated because it seems like most everyone got this question. Thanks!!

i was asked 3 of those types of questions at UB: gas stations, mammograms, and something on body fat %.

it's not esp hard if you keep your reasoning general and simplistic.

for example, on the # of gas stations in US...

i told my interviewer that i'd estimate the # of ppl a typical gas station might serve and then divide that into the US population (or something like that). obviously a very rough estimate but it seemed to satisfy my interviewer.

mjs16 said:

I had an interview at Buffalo earlier in March, and wasn't asked any of those weird questions (even though I read about them from the interview feedback), and I got an acceptance from them a few days ago. I would suggest not to worry about it. I don't think there are any absolutely correct answers. If asked such a question, take a minute, and make up something that sounds educated, but I wouldn't suggest going in with a prepared answer. Just have a conversation and take your time. I wish you much luck.