Business ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaz1979

Reaction score
Calling out all Registered pharmacists nationwide to reach out to me to initiate a startup pharmacy offering same day delivery with doctor appointments available through telemedicine. It is breakthrough project because the patient can literally click on a smart phone App, get access to the provider , and then the provider send us the prescription which can be filled in 15 minutes and delivered in 1 hour. Think about this huge huge adavantage: Patients will not have to wait for hours at the ER or wait for days for a doctor’s appointment. not asking you to quit your job until we take off. I'm Just looking for a reliable partner. I’m located in research triangle park in North Carolina so I prefer someone from this area until we expand. Tons of ideas to make a blockbuster pharmacy operations. We will need funding. I’m assuming we need $100K to begin with. I’m ready to work for $30 per hour to make it more profitable.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Isn't CVS doing this? How will you compete?

Not to rain on your parade, but $30/hr seems high for a startup business owner. On shark tank, if the entrepreneurs even mention that they want to be paid anything, the sharks all berate them and back out.

Calling out all Registered pharmacists nationwide to reach out to me to initiate a startup pharmacy offering same day delivery with doctor appointments available through telemedicine. It is breakthrough project because the patient can literally click on a smart phone App, get access to the provider , and then the provider send us the prescription which can be filled in 15 minutes and delivered in 1 hour. Think about this huge huge adavantage: Patients will not have to wait for hours at the ER or wait for days for a doctor’s appointment. not asking you to quit your job until we take off. I'm Just looking for a reliable partner. I’m located in research triangle park in North Carolina so I prefer someone from this area until we expand. Tons of ideas to make a blockbuster pharmacy operations. We will need funding. I’m assuming we need $100K to begin with. I’m ready to work for $30 per hour to make it more profitable.

my old pharmacy tried this... didnt work out all that well for them but good luck. ✌️

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am very interested in this and sounds much better than trying to find a pharmacist job for me. I am ready so please let me know how I can join. Thank you

my old pharmacy tried this... didnt work out all that well for them but good luck. ✌️

How was the marketing campaign? How much did your old pharmacy spend on marketing? Did they have a smart phone app that allows easy access to both prescriber and the the Pharmacy? How many patients are frustrated because of the long wait times at the doctors office or hospital and then at the pharmacy? My service will be provided nationwide with express shipping or local delivery. Retail pharmacy industry revenues per year is roughly $270 Billion. I will be glad if I disrupt the inept business model of chain pharmacies and get even 1% of their market share.

Isn't CVS doing this? How will you compete?

Not to rain on your parade, but $30/hr seems high for a startup business owner. On shark tank, if the entrepreneurs even mention that they want to be paid anything, the sharks all berate them and back out.
CVS did it on site ( Nurse Practitioner was inside the Pharmacy ). My business model will let patients get a script and then receive the prescription medication without leaving their couch.

CVS did it on site ( Nurse Practitioner was inside the Pharmacy ). My business model will let patients get a script and then receive the prescription medication without leaving their couch.

A bunch of health insurance companies let you see a doctor on an app and they can send a prescription to your local pharmacy which delivers. I know BCBS does. Rite Aid delivers, I think CVS and Walgreens plan to and most independents do.

Looks like he is looking for someone to foot the bill for his grandiose ideas.

Or - it’s a troll post. One or the other.
It sounds like he is looking for someone to fund his business idea then pay him while he work on it.
This won`t do. haha

Shakedown 1979, cool kids never have the time
On a live wire right up off the street
You and I should meet

(That's Smashing Pumpkins for you young-in's)

Reactions: 4 users
Shakedown 1979, cool kids never have the time
On a live wire right up off the street
You and I should meet

(That's Smashing Pumpkins for you young-in's)

This was my theme song when I was in the 8th grade. It went great with my grunge look, long hair, and my skateboard.

U gonna pay yourself 30/hr right off the bat? Let me guess, the other guy is gonna fund this? 100k to fund this whole thing? Your 30/hr is already gonna eat up the majority of that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
U gonna pay yourself 30/hr right off the bat? Let me guess, the other guy is gonna fund this? 100k to fund this whole thing? Your 30/hr is already gonna eat up the majority of that.

I would guess you need at least 400k to find a startup like this.

I know a tons of people in the RTP area- one of which is already looking at telemedicine for the outlying rural areas- but not delivery of meds.
Couple of points/questions
1. You will need more than 100k - how much are you putting up? What percentage of the company will you own vs your partner?
2. Have you developed your app? If not, do you have the knowledge to build it?
3. Have you contracted with local NP, PA's to staff your clinics? How will you pay them?
4. Will you take health insurance in addition to the pharmacy insurance?
5. The RTP area is extremely spread out - it can easily take an hour plus to drive from Durham to Raleigh - how can you justify driving across town to deliver one or two rx's?
6. Have you signed contracts with PBM's - if so, what is your reimbursement rate?
7. You will never be able to fill as many rx's as the walgreens on the corner - and they are not making money and making major cutbacks - how do you plan on providing better service with less $$ per hour? (and paying delivery driver, etc). One drive across town will eat up any of your profit many times.
8. What is your advertising plan? (I know a great digital marketer in the area)
9. What is your address so I can send a bill to you for showing you all the areas you need to workout before going live.

Reactions: 6 users
Interesting. How much does it cost to ship meds to patients? Like I got 9 prescriptions for a patient today but only 2 are due, so we made like $5 gross profit, barely enough to keep the lights on.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a terrible idea. See how GrubHub has been doing lately. Hint: They are doing terrible

I’m not looking for anyone to pay for my idea. I already applied for a loan. I have marketing plan and I know a NP who is willing to contribute. I’m also trying to find a doctor to establish a collaborative practice agreement so I can authorize certain refills. There is a valid point in the replies regarding free delivery so I think it will be reasonable to charge delivery fees according to distance from pharmacy ( I’m thinking 0.50 per mile). People are willing to pay for food delivery through delivery apps because of convenience and I think they will pay for pharmacy deliveries because it is more convenient. I worked in an independent pharmacy and I know very well the profit margin of generics. Chain pharmacies don’t make money because of overhead expenses and outrageous salaries paid to corporate higher-ups. If I can make 100 prescriptions per day my dispensing fees ($1 average) plus average profit margin of prescription (national average is $11) then my daily profit will be roughly $1200. That’s $36000 profit per month doing just 100 prescriptions a day. Again, I worked in an independent pharmacy and I know what I’m talking about. I guess I shouldn’t have posted here before actually launching my business but once I have an established business I will hire one of you guys to expand my business. I will come back here within couple years to hire couple pharmacists for $25 per hour and I will get plenty of applicants.

• Haha
I’m not looking for anyone to pay for my idea. I already applied for a loan. I have marketing plan and I know a NP who is willing to contribute. I’m also trying to find a doctor to establish a collaborative practice agreement so I can authorize certain refills. There is a valid point in the replies regarding free delivery so I think it will be reasonable to charge delivery fees according to distance from pharmacy ( I’m thinking 0.50 per mile). People are willing to pay for food delivery through delivery apps because of convenience and I think they will pay for pharmacy deliveries because it is more convenient. I worked in an independent pharmacy and I know very well the profit margin of generics. Chain pharmacies don’t make money because of overhead expenses and outrageous salaries paid to corporate higher-ups. If I can make 100 prescriptions per day my dispensing fees ($1 average) plus average profit margin of prescription (national average is $11) then my daily profit will be roughly $1200. That’s $36000 profit per month doing just 100 prescriptions a day. Again, I worked in an independent pharmacy and I know what I’m talking about. I guess I shouldn’t have posted here before actually launching my business but once I have an established business I will hire one of you guys to expand my business. I will come back here within couple years to hire couple pharmacists for $25 per hour and I will get plenty of applicants.

Do you have collateral for the loan?

youre gonna hire one of us for $25 an hour? Didnt know this was a pharmacy tech forum...

Also, if youre doing this locally, how do you expect to do a 100 scripts solely based on teledoc? And make those deliveries? If youre mailing stuff out, PBMs will cancel your contracts. Worked in indie for 3 years now. This doesnt sound very promising.
My old pharmacy made millions doing very fishy and probably illegal stuff. I quit as soon as i found out. Lots of loopholes to explore in pharmacy but owner got busted and insurances cancelled contracts. Wont go into details but he was trying to do something similar. I think hes going through legal troubles now.

You should be glad that we are criticizing your plan. It will help you with things you haven't thought of. Would you rather find out the hard way? If it bothers you that pharmacists are giving you feedback then imagine how you'll feel when your customers complain to you.

If other pharmacies deliver for free (Amazon/Pillpack, CVS, Wags, Rite Aid, independents) then why would anyone pay anything for delivery? These are the same customers who argue about the $1 copay while holding a $5 Starbucks coffee in their hand. People don't want to pay anything at all for meds or healthcare. But they'll gladly spend on food and entertainment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You should be glad that we are criticizing your plan. It will help you with things you haven't thought of. Would you rather find out the hard way? If it bothers you that pharmacists are giving you feedback then imagine how you'll feel when your customers complain to you.

If other pharmacies deliver for free (Amazon/Pillpack, CVS, Wags, Rite Aid, independents) then why would anyone pay anything for delivery? These are the same customers who argue about the $1 copay while holding a $5 Starbucks coffee in their hand. People don't want to pay anything at all for meds or healthcare. But they'll gladly spend on food and entertainment.
I’m not disappointed by criticism. I was annoyed by people accusing me of being a scammer or a troll for no reason. You are absolutely right about the delivery issue. I don’t know whether it will be worth it considering that average profit margin per prescription is $9-$11. I’m assuming I can initially hire one delivery driver for $12/hr ( that will cost $2000 per month) then hire additional drivers if needed. Telemedicine does exist and there are many apps to get access to prescribers online and they bill health insurance. They let patients choose a pharmacy to send the prescription. I’m thinking offering the app developer any incentives to have the patient choose my pharmacy can be a good idea. Like a screening question “ would you like to have your prescription delivered?”. It is a tough market and there are many challenges for sure. I did submit the business model for market validation and I will consider any feedback. If market validation proves the business model as of no additional value then I may abandon pharmacy profession altogether and apply for medical school or DO school. I just can’t work for chain pharmacies anymore.

These are the same customers who argue about the $1 copay while holding a $5 Starbucks coffee in their hand. People don't want to pay anything at all for meds or healthcare. But they'll gladly spend on food and entertainment.

Nah, the people in my area gladly pay thousands out of pocket for some certain back pain medication. Your people are not as health conscious as my people. Do you know how much tip I gonna get if I personally deliver meds to them (plus a free pill crusher) since all of them have chronic pain?

• Haha
I’m not disappointed by criticism. I was annoyed by people accusing me of being a scammer or a troll for no reason. You are absolutely right about the delivery issue. I don’t know whether it will be worth it considering that average profit margin per prescription is $9-$11. I’m assuming I can initially hire one delivery driver for $12/hr ( that will cost $2000 per month) then hire additional drivers if needed. Telemedicine does exist and there are many apps to get access to prescribers online and they bill health insurance. They let patients choose a pharmacy to send the prescription. I’m thinking offering the app developer any incentives to have the patient choose my pharmacy can be a good idea. Like a screening question “ would you like to have your prescription delivered?”. It is a tough market and there are many challenges for sure. I did submit the business model for market validation and I will consider any feedback. If market validation proves the business model as of no additional value then I may abandon pharmacy profession altogether and apply for medical school or DO school. I just can’t work for chain pharmacies anymore.

Well, if you don’t mind criticism: I think you’re grossly underestimating delivery costs. It sounds like you’re looking at the driver working 40 hr/week. With your model I think you’re going to have to have much more extended evening and weekend hours in order to be desirable. In addition, you’re going to have to consider fuel costs, purchase/maintenance/repair of the vehicle, and insurance on a commercially operated vehicle. Unless you’re planning on the driver using their own vehicle and paying for those expenses...if so, I don’t think any reliable person would do it for $12/hr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, if you don’t mind criticism: I think you’re grossly understanding delivery costs. It sounds like you’re looking at the driver working 40 hr/week. With your model I think you’re going to have to have much more extended evening and weekend hours in order to be desirable. In addition, you’re going to have to consider fuel costs, purchase/maintenance/repair of the vehicle, and insurance on a commercially operated vehicle. Unless you’re planning on the driver using their own vehicle and paying for those expenses...if so, I don’t think any reliable person would do it for $12/hr.

Yup not to mention loss/theft. Imagine losing an HIV or Hep C med for whatever reason in transit.

Is it a ****ty company geared at trying to milk the taxpayers by selling state agencies Narcan, even though those state agencies already have a distro system?

Because, I hate to break it to you, but there's a genius entrepreneur on here already who won a student competition for this brilliant, totally real-world idea already

You need to take into account the cost of developing your app. Decent programmers are in high demand right now and do not come cheap.

It better be very user friendly or you’ll have a hard time attracting and retaining patients.

Average represents about 65% of your reimbursement so the figure won’t be quiet what you calculated. But even being conservative, you come out around 250-300k/year.

It seems a worthwhile adventure given the alternative- “being a slave” for the chains.
Good luck!

Well, if you don’t mind criticism: I think you’re grossly underestimating delivery costs. It sounds like you’re looking at the driver working 40 hr/week. With your model I think you’re going to have to have much more extended evening and weekend hours in order to be desirable. In addition, you’re going to have to consider fuel costs, purchase/maintenance/repair of the vehicle, and insurance on a commercially operated vehicle. Unless you’re planning on the driver using their own vehicle and paying for those expenses...if so, I don’t think any reliable person would do it for $12/hr.
I think they could keep the number of hours staffing a driver low by having them start between 11am and 2pm. This model doesn’t sound like it will require many early morning deliveries.

Will you agree to not taking a salary until profitable?

If you don’t have an ownership agreement for at least a good portion of the percentage - this would be a bad idea

I will be the only owner for now. I will expand through micro fulfillment centers in other regions/ states in the future.

I will be the only owner for now. I will expand through micro fulfillment centers in other regions/ states in the future.
/
then what is the reason for someone to invest? What do they get?

Yea I think your confused. Unless you put up 100% of the startup cost you will not be the only owner.

I’m not currently looking for investors, and I agree that my post may have sounded confusing. My apologies for that. I honestly thought I might get pharmacists who are interested in the idea to help establishing other branches but I believe I will not get any serious partner unless I have an already established business model, which is fair enough. I will just focus on establishing one pharmacy at one State now and I will begin with one contracted prescriber and if the business succeeds I will expand through micro fulfillment centers in other States like I said.

I'm curious where you got the $100k startup cost?

100k wouldnt even be enough for inventory of a normal pharmacy.

I’m not currently looking for investors, and I agree that my post may have sounded confusing. My apologies for that. I honestly thought I might get pharmacists who are interested in the idea to help establishing other branches but I believe I will not get any serious partner unless I have an already established business model, which is fair enough. I will just focus on establishing one pharmacy at one State now and I will begin with one contracted prescriber and if the business succeeds I will expand through micro fulfillment centers in other States like I said.

So you are looking for people to franchise from you? You aren't going to get a serious partner, when nobody here understands what you are even asking the partner to do.

you were asking for someone to help fund 100k-what do they get for 100k?

You mention the RTP area - How are you going to compete against Marley's? They already offer free delivery across the area (albiet they focus on ED drugs) and have a HUGE advertising budget How about Gurley's? They have an established name, I know their owner well, and he is one of the best business men I know in the world of pharmacy?

How do you pay your provider? per patient? a salary? How much do you plan on paying them? I know a lot of PA's in the area (mostly urgent care) and I can run your numbers by them to see if they think it is fair, and heck, maybe they will sign up if you provide a high enough salary.

Hi I am very interested in this and sounds much better than trying to find a pharmacist job for me. I am ready so please let me know how I can join. Thank you

lol the only person interested is a tech... figures

No no you guys don't get it he has an APP

(albiet they focus on ED drugs) and have a HUGE advertising budget

I know you mean Emergency Department, but I saw that and pictured some poor guy realizing he was out of ED drugs at a crucial moment, and calling up the service for a rush home delivery.

• Haha
I know you mean Emergency Department, but I saw that and pictured some poor guy realizing he was out of ED drugs at a crucial moment, and calling up the service for a rush home delivery.
actually it is erectile dysfunction drugs - they do a ton of commercials during the hurricanes games
they use these sultry 30 something models - here is one of them

• Haha

I commend you for being so ambitious but coming to SDN forum for 6-figure funding for a startup pharmacy sounds very desperate. We have no idea what your credentials are, your experiences, etc. You have an idea but I feel like you didn't do the financial research for your plan. Like others have already mentioned, why are you assuming $100K is all you need to begin this project? Where did you ballpark this number from?

I commend you for being so ambitious but coming to SDN forum for 6-figure funding for a startup pharmacy sounds very desperate. We have no idea what your credentials are, your experiences, etc. You have an idea but I feel like you didn't do the financial research for your plan. Like others have already mentioned, why are you assuming $100K is all you need to begin this project? Where did you ballpark this number from?

This is what happens when we tell an entire generation that when they grow up they can be astronauts, movie stars, and CEOs. All it takes is a wish upon a star.

And don’t get me wrong, I love Disney. I am just skeptical every time I hear the intro song. I dunno maybe I’m cynical.

Last edited:
  • Haha
The OP isn't going to respond, I sit here with actual contacts in the area, asking legit questions, and no response.......

I am all for people disrupting the status quo- our profession seriously needs it, I just don't think the OP has thought everything through.

He is banking on essentially a tele-medicine urgent care - we all know you make more money on refills, they take a fraction of the time to complete- vs first fills, urgent care doesn't give refills....

Are you doing the same thing with NowRX? Or are you NowRX ?