But they're just opiates!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotname

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if you all have a lot of patients who are oblivious or just indifferent about improving their pain/the effects of chronic opiate use especially at really high doses?

I ask because I was blown away by a discussion in the docs waiting room (he had an emergency so was running late). About 7 or 8 patients got to talking (privacy is so last week) about their diagnoses, meds and all that.

What stood out to me was that...

1. Most disliked the doc because he was "always trying to waste time asking questions and doing a check up instead of just writing me my script"

2. The meds most were on are enough to knock out Seabiscuit and his whole family yet they said they are not effective but need a higher dose

-someone asked why not switch meds and one person responded, "But I like these ones :eek:

3. Constipation was discussed in detail and the doc lowering opiates because of it. It was determined that it was unfair for pain to be allowed (albeit tolerable) just because one cannot go to the bathroom for a week.

4. "They are just pain pills, just gimme my !@#$/ script!" said someone.

It was determined that there are worse meds out there and opiates are not as bad "as docs pretend they are". One person declaring that "it's my body and I can put whatever I want into it". Most of them agreed.

I did not listen to the rest of their meeting because I went ahead and rescheduled my appointment.

I really feel for anyone who is unwell but I was speechless. I find it difficult to understand the mentality of some of those I was waiting with.

If you don't mind, can someone please explain...with the "it's my body, just gimme prescriptions" etc. stuff, is there really much effort towards improving or it is resignation to how things are? I will also ask my doc when I see him.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I am sure that's every pain physicians office in America

"If you don't mind, can someone please explain...with the "it's my body, just gimme prescriptions" etc. stuff, is there really much effort towards improving or it is resignation to how things are? I will also ask my doc when I see him."

its called addiction.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
attitudes like this is why there is a minimum 11 yr hurdle to become a physician, so dumba$$es like these people can't prescribe to each other, although from a Darwinism perspective that might not be that bad.

Reactions: 1 users
its called addiction.

That is really unfortunate. I suppose what got to me was the nonchalant way things were being discussed and more so the lack of accountability that came with it.

I assume you all have had a fair share of said patients and I imagine it is difficult to help someone who does not want to be helped. Why do some of those patients keep coming back to you?

Wouldn't it be easier if they just got the meds from some dude in a dimly lit street corner instead of going through the "hurdles" (urine tests etc.) of seeing a pain doc that is not just throwing opiates at them?

That is really unfortunate. I suppose what got to me was the nonchalant way things were being discussed and more so the lack of accountability that came with it.

I assume you all have had a fair share of said patients and I imagine it is difficult to help someone who does not want to be helped. Why do some of those patients keep coming back to you?

Wouldn't it be easier if they just got the meds from some dude in a dimly lit street corner instead of going through the "hurdles" (urine tests etc.) of seeing a pain doc that is not just throwing opiates at them?
B/c that costs money and puts them at risk for legal action. If they go to their pain doc they can get the med through their insurance/medicare/caid either for free or at a reduced cost without much risk of incarceration. The trick is determining which patients are drug seeking and which have true bonafide pain and want help

B/c that costs money and puts them at risk for legal action. If they go to their pain doc they can get the med through their insurance/medicare/caid either for free or at a reduced cost without much risk of incarceration. The trick is determining which patients are drug seeking and which have true bonafide pain and want help
I used a salem witch method to weed out drug seekers. You see, drug seekers are made out of wood. I throw all patients into a pool in the lobby. If they sink/drown, then they were legitimate. But if they float, then they are drug seekers and are discharged.

Reactions: 1 user
The trick is determining which patients are drug seeking and which have true bonafide pain and want help

You have my sympathies.

I used a salem witch method to weed out drug seekers. You see, drug seekers are made out of wood. I throw all patients into a pool in the lobby. If they sink/drown, then they were legitimate. But if they float, then they are drug seekers and are discharged.

Ahhh, but you can cut pool maintainance costs and all that assumably tiresome body removal by switching to the very credible Monty Python Witch Method...all you need is a duck & a trusty scale.

Like you said drug seekers (like witches) are made of wood. Wood floats and so do ducks therefore if said patient weighs the same as a duck, they are made of wood!

If patients would educate themselves of the side effects before starting an opiate prescription it would stop some short of ever becoming addicted. I feel as if opiate pain medication these days is as easy to access as Tylenol, but is cheaper if you have insurance.