CA Northstate Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since 48 of us has been interviewed, how many people do you guys think have been accepted? Maybe about half the amount??
i think half will be accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone not get accepted to this school?
I'm just trying to figure out if they actually rejected anyone.....I know it would be crazy for them to accept everyone from the first batch, but you never know...

Fairly quick process. First the dean (who is an awesome, amazing guy btw) talks to the group about the school for about 30 min...then you either do the writing sample first or go the the interview first. Interview is about 25min long....basic ques...why this school, tell us about ur self, ur background, then specific ques. pertaining to ur appl. Easy going interview...not really stressful.

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks for the info! Just one more thing....how much time did they give you for the writing sample? Did they give you different topics to choose from? Im really worried about this cuz this was my downfall from my lone interview last year....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! Just one more thing....how much time did they give you for the writing sample? Did they give you different topics to choose from? Im really worried about this cuz this was my downfall from my lone interview last year....
50 mins and only one topics

CALIFORNIA NORTHSTATE COLLEGE OF PHARMACY

LENGTH OF INTERVIEW: 25 minutes
# OF INTERVIEWERS: Two faculty members
TYPE OF INTERVIEW: Two-on-one; closed-file
DATE: Monday, January 28, 2008

PERSONAL INTERVIEW AGENDA
12:30pm to 1:00pm :: Meet with the Dean of CNCP
1:00pm to 1:25pm :: Interview (25 minutes)
1:30pm to 2:20pm :: Sample essay writing assignment (50 minutes)
2:20pm to 2:45pm :: 25-minute break session in the Office of Admissions and adjourn

Notes:
There were eight applicants including me on my interview day. We were split into three groups—three people interviewed first (Group A), three people did their writing portion first (Group B), and two people were in holding for 25 minutes (Group C) until Group A was done interviewing.

We were interviewed by one of three possible faculty combinations: two professors, a professor and the Dean (well the Dean is also a professor of course so I guess this combination is the same as the first one haha), or a professor and a law student intern. I was interviewed by the professor and the law student intern.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
1) Please, introduce yourself to us.
2) What factors of pharmacy interest you? Why are you pursuing pharmacy?
3) What traits do you have that would make you a successful pharmacist?
4) With other healthcare professionals out there such as optometrists, dentists, and physicians, tell us how you discovered pharmacy. Are you determined with your decision?
5) What was the most difficult challenge in your life, and how did you overcome it?
6) (Follow-up): Did you do any research in trying to figure out what was wrong?
7) Tell us about a time when you had difficulty communicating with someone. How did you deal with the situation?
8) (Follow-up): So what happened in the end? Do you guys talk now?
9) What is your greatest strength and weakness?
10) If you saw your best friend cheating on an exam, what would you do?
11) Are you planning on entering a residency in the future?
12) How are you going to finance your pharmacy education?
13) What was a social struggle that you’ve experienced? Give us an example.
14) (Follow-up): You didn’t try to form your own group of friends?
15) Do you have any leadership experience, like being an officer of a club?
16) I was just wondering, how are your interactions with your brother since he goes to UC Berkeley?
17) How did you hear about CNCP?
18) Your response for this question will not affect your admissions decision. We know you’ve interviewed at two other schools, but if it were a choice between CNCP and the other school you were accepted to, which school would you pick and why?
19) What are your plans from now until when you come to pharmacy school?

ESSAY PORTION
There was one essay prompt. The Dean uses a different prompt for every new interview day. Three to four pages of paper were provided and we had 50 minutes to write. Personally I thought this was a comfortable amount of time :). The prompt was the following:

1) How can California Northstate College of Pharmacy increase awareness of the college amongst potential students?

FACTS AS OF JANUARY 28, 2008
Campus:
CNCP leased a building located in Rancho Cordova, CA to use as its temporary campus. Breakout rooms, student lounges, and areas for student organizations are already complete. The lecture hall is being renovated now, and I forgot if CNCP said the lab rooms are done or not. As a completely new school that has yet to obtain pre-candidate status, CNCP will be utilizing this campus building for about five years while its permanent campus is being built. Ultimately, the final campus will be in Sacramento, but that will not be for another five or so years.

The temporary campus is shown in the picture on the school website (http://calnorthstate.org/page.aspx). The address is 10811 International Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. CNCP also has already started settling into its research facilities. Research equipment and the like are being moved in right now, but I forgot to ask for the address—I just know that the research facilities are located elsewhere from the campus building.

CNCP will officially move into the campus building beginning the first week of February 2008. Prospective students will be able to tour the building around March or later.

Accreditation:
CNCP was supposed to be in the building by the time ACPE came for the on-site visit in Fall 2007. However, the previous occupants were still in there even though they were supposed to move out. CNCP therefore couldn’t move into the building, and so the Dean decided to withdraw CNCP from the January ACPE meeting until ACPE could see the campus with their own eyes (and not just pictures of it, but the real deal).

So, ACPE will visit CNCP again on April 23-24, 2008. The pre-candidate status decision will be announced in June 2008. The Dean said he is extremely confident about CNCP getting pre-candidate status, in fact even more confident than he was when he was at South University trying to get the candidate status.

Faculty:
There are 10 faculty members so far. Another two will be joining in February 2008. The projected faculty size by Fall 2008 is 15-20.

Curriculum:
The Dean along with the CNCP faculty are excited to start a brand new college of pharmacy from scratch. This was the result of a combination of 34 years of experience that the Dean has under his belt. Throughout his tenure at five pharmacy schools and three medical schools, the Dean was able to examine and analyze the styles of teaching from a diverse body of faculty and staff. However, he noticed one missing link, one that would make graduating students much more effective leaders and health professionals.

It would be doing CNCP and the Dean injustice if I tried to even continue. I could never say, and in such detail and intricacy, what the Dean told us during our meeting with him. Because I am unable to be objective here, I will just insert my opinion: I believe the curriculum will train students in a way that may be more rigorous than at other schools and colleges of pharmacy.

The Dean did mention something that the current Dean of pharmacy at University of Michigan—Ann Arbor (I believe it was U of M) said to him: “Man, David, if you do achieve everything you plan, you will have made the Doctor of Pharmacy degree a real doctorate degree.”

Applicants:
So far 48 applicants have been interviewed, and some have already been accepted. My interview group comprised of the last eight interviewed so far.

Class size:
The matriculating class will have 80 students.

Housing:
There is no on-campus housing in the temporary campus building. However, there are ample apartments and etc. surrounding the building within walking distance. These living areas are very nice too. The law student intern will be helping coordinating with rooming situations among students later on. As for the future permanent campus in Sacramento, I do not know if it will have on-campus housing.

PERSONAL INTERVIEW AGENDA
12:30pm to 1:00pm :: Meet with the Dean of CNCP
1:00pm to 1:25pm :: Interview (25 minutes)
1:30pm to 2:20pm :: Sample essay writing assignment (50 minutes)
2:20pm to 2:45pm :: 25-minute break session in the Office of Admissions and adjourn

Notes:
There were eight applicants including me on my interview day. We were split into three groups—three people interviewed first (Group A), three people did their writing portion first (Group B), and two people were in holding for 25 minutes (Group C) until Group A was done interviewing.

We were interviewed by one of three possible faculty combinations: two professors, a professor and the Dean (well the Dean is also a professor of course so I guess this combination is the same as the first one haha), or a professor and a law student intern. I was interviewed by the professor and the law student intern.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
1) Please, introduce yourself to us.
2) What factors of pharmacy interest you? Why are you pursuing pharmacy?
3) What traits do you have that would make you a successful pharmacist?
4) With other healthcare professionals out there such as optometrists, dentists, and physicians, tell us how you discovered pharmacy. Are you determined with your decision?
5) What was the most difficult challenge in your life, and how did you overcome it?
6) (Follow-up): Did you do any research in trying to figure out what was wrong?
7) Tell us about a time when you had difficulty communicating with someone. How did you deal with the situation?
8) (Follow-up): So what happened in the end? Do you guys talk now?
9) What is your greatest strength and weakness?
10) If you saw your best friend cheating on an exam, what would you do?
11) Are you planning on entering a residency in the future?
12) How are you going to finance your pharmacy education?
13) What was a social struggle that you’ve experienced? Give us an example.
14) (Follow-up): You didn’t try to form your own group of friends?
15) Do you have any leadership experience, like being an officer of a club?
16) I was just wondering, how are your interactions with your brother since he goes to UC Berkeley?
17) How did you hear about CNCP?
18) Your response for this question will not affect your admissions decision. We know you’ve interviewed at two other schools, but if it were a choice between CNCP and the other school you were accepted to, which school would you pick and why?
19) What are your plans from now until when you come to pharmacy school?

ESSAY PORTION
There was one essay prompt. The Dean uses a different prompt for every new interview day. Three to four pages of paper were provided and we had 50 minutes to write. Personally I thought this was a comfortable amount of time :). The prompt was the following:

1) How can California Northstate College of Pharmacy increase awareness of the college amongst potential students?

FACTS AS OF JANUARY 28, 2008
Campus:
CNCP leased a building located in Rancho Cordova, CA to use as its temporary campus. Breakout rooms, student lounges, and areas for student organizations are already complete. The lecture hall is being renovated now, and I forgot if CNCP said the lab rooms are done or not. As a completely new school that has yet to obtain pre-candidate status, CNCP will be utilizing this campus building for about five years while its permanent campus is being built. Ultimately, the final campus will be in Sacramento, but that will not be for another five or so years.

The temporary campus is shown in the picture on the school website (http://calnorthstate.org/page.aspx). The address is 10811 International Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. CNCP also has already started settling into its research facilities. Research equipment and the like are being moved in right now, but I forgot to ask for the address—I just know that the research facilities are located elsewhere from the campus building.

CNCP will officially move into the campus building beginning the first week of February 2008. Prospective students will be able to tour the building around March or later.

Accreditation:
CNCP was supposed to be in the building by the time ACPE came for the on-site visit in Fall 2007. However, the previous occupants were still in there even though they were supposed to move out. CNCP therefore couldn’t move into the building, and so the Dean decided to withdraw CNCP from the January ACPE meeting until ACPE could see the campus with their own eyes (and not just pictures of it, but the real deal).

So, ACPE will visit CNCP again on April 23-24, 2008. The pre-candidate status decision will be announced in June 2008. The Dean said he is extremely confident about CNCP getting pre-candidate status, in fact even more confident than he was when he was at South University trying to get the candidate status.

Faculty:
There are 10 faculty members so far. Another two will be joining in February 2008. The projected faculty size by Fall 2008 is 15-20.

Curriculum:
The Dean along with the CNCP faculty are excited to start a brand new college of pharmacy from scratch. This was the result of a combination of 34 years of experience that the Dean has under his belt. Throughout his tenure at five pharmacy schools and three medical schools, the Dean was able to examine and analyze the styles of teaching from a diverse body of faculty and staff. However, he noticed one missing link, one that would make graduating students much more effective leaders and health professionals.

It would be doing CNCP and the Dean injustice if I tried to even continue. I could never say, and in such detail and intricacy, what the Dean told us during our meeting with him. Because I am unable to be objective here, I will just insert my opinion: I believe the curriculum will train students in a way that may be more rigorous than at other schools and colleges of pharmacy.

The Dean did mention something that the current Dean of pharmacy at University of Michigan—Ann Arbor (I believe it was U of M) said to him: “Man, David, if you do achieve everything you plan, you will have made the Doctor of Pharmacy degree a real doctorate degree.”

Applicants:
So far 48 applicants have been interviewed, and some have already been accepted. My interview group comprised of the last eight interviewed so far.

Class size:
The matriculating class will have 80 students.

Housing:
There is no on-campus housing in the temporary campus building. However, there are ample apartments and etc. surrounding the building within walking distance. These living areas are very nice too. The law student intern will be helping coordinating with rooming situations among students later on. As for the future permanent campus in Sacramento, I do not know if it will have on-campus housing.
thx for info

Finally some good info on this school...had to happen on SDN :thumbup:

hey shikamaru

do you know anything about the letters of recomendations?

it says they need to be postmarked by feb.1 but i just started the semester this week so it might be difficult asking a teacher to write one let alone get a pharmacist..
any idea why they want letters so early when the deadline is in april?

Hi Allright. I have no idea why it is that the LORs must be postmarked by Feb. 1. When I gave the forms to my evaluators, there wasn't any postmark deadline. I think you should call the office ASAP. Good luck!

Hey shikamaru,

Thanks for all the info, so I was wondering have you decided which school you are going to attend? I notice you have had atleast 2 or 3 invites and acceptances (?)

Well, good luck, bro.

hmm

i just checked the letter of recomendation pages again and they changed it to april 15...

Great information, thx so much! I'll probably be applying the CNCP in 2009, so it's good to hear they're on the right track. Good luck! :thumbup:

Anyone here planning to attend Cal Northstate? I did get an interview as well and it was good, but I am not sure if I will accept their offer just yet. I would like to know what other people think. Oh and Hi by the way, I just registered on sdn!
~kpunk

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here planning to attend Cal Northstate? I did get an interview as well and it was good, but I am not sure if I will accept their offer just yet. I would like to know what other people think. Oh and Hi by the way, I just registered on sdn!
~kpunk
did you get accepted anywhere else? if you did which school did you get accepted? so it all depends

did you get accepted anywhere else? if you did which school did you get accepted? so it all depends
hey pdang...not yet..I am waiting to hear from my waitlist at Touro..but I am at the low end...so I don't know yet. Other than that I still have not heard from a few schools I applied to in November (Colorado, Utah, USN, and USC). What would you do??

hey pdang...not yet..I am waiting to hear from my waitlist at Touro..but I am at the low end...so I don't know yet. Other than that I still have not heard from a few schools I applied to in November (Colorado, Utah, USN, and USC). What would you do??
well, you got an offer from northstate and i think you have 30 days to respond to it. did they tell you how much is the deposit? if less than $500.00 than i would take the offer to secure a seat. because you are not sure if you can get in to the other school. personally, i think northstate should be allright.

Yeah its actually $500 and Dr. Hawkins said that if the school does not get pre- accredited by June...he will refund the deposit back, so like you said...it seems alright. Maybe I'll check it out and yes I do have the 30 days. Cool cool. Thanks Pdang.

Yeah its actually $500 and Dr. Hawkins said that if the school does not get pre- accredited by June...he will refund the deposit back, so like you said...it seems alright. Maybe I'll check it out and yes I do have the 30 days. Cool cool. Thanks Pdang.

I say put the deposit down no matter how much it cost to have peace of mind that you got into pharmacy school. Imagine how much worst it will be going through the entire application process and playing the waiting game again. That's just my 2 cents.

did they send you a letter or give you a phone call to offer a seat?

Right on dude/duddette. =) Thanks. I'll see what happens haha.

oh pdang..yes they sent an email and they are going to send a package (via snail mail)with all financial aid info, housing, etc...

oh pdang..yes they sent an email and they are going to send a package (via snail mail)with all financial aid info, housing, etc...
thx for the info

My friend and I just got accepted too. She even said she might really consider CNCP over UCSD if she gets in (she already interviewed there). For all the skeptics out there, let me say that I completely understand. For both my friend and I, CNCP started at the very bottom of our list, but the experience we had on our interview day was just mind-blowing.

We do believe that the future of the school is very bright. I have a real dilemma now because I have to choose.

My friend and I just got accepted too. She even said she might really consider CNCP over UCSD if she gets in (she already interviewed there). For all the skeptics out there, let me say that I completely understand. For both my friend and I, CNCP started at the very bottom of our list, but the experience we had on our interview day was just mind-blowing.

We do believe that the future of the school is very bright. I have a real dilemma now because I have to choose.
Hey! Yeah totally. Thats pretty cool though. Yeah let me know what you decide! I really like Northern California..its nice! More nature stuff.

the people that got in what are your stat?

Three things are alarming:

1. If you study Sullivan, Jefferson, they started to do interviews early, but nobody has been accepted officially nor received an acceptance letter in the mail YET because the school needs to get an official letter from ACPE stating that they have pre-cand status. How can CNCP send acceptance letters?

2. People don't understand the value of an established school. Top hospitals and clinical rotation sites have limited space to take intern. A top hospital like Cedars-Sinai has limited all if not most of their spots for top pharm school: USC and UCSF. With 7 existing school, CNCP will have extremely hard time getting enough rotation sites, not to mention good ones since most of them are already taken. Do you think these hospitals will want to accept students from a not fully accredited school? Same goes for residencies. It will take about 8 yrs for CNCP to become recognized and respected by pharmacy community IMO, with so many established schools to compete with.

3. It boggles my mind that someone would pass up an opportunity to take advantage of UCSD's low tution fees over CNCP. Isn't like three times cheaper?

steveysmith---i've gotten an acceptance letter in the mail from jefferson (as well as uh hilo)

and you're right about residencies...this is one of the issues i am having with possibly attending jefferson even though i am thoroughly impressed with their facilities

steveysmith---i've gotten an acceptance letter in the mail from jefferson (as well as uh hilo)

and you're right about residencies...this is one of the issues i am having with possibly attending jefferson even though i am thoroughly impressed with their facilities

Hilo got their precand last year, thats fine.
I am assuming you didn't get acceptance from Jefferson before jefferson got pre-cand ( offically in the mail at least, did u? I know for a fact nobody got one from Sullivan

Three things are alarming:

3. It boggles my mind that someone would pass up an opportunity to take advantage of UCSD's low tution fees over CNCP. Isn't like three times cheaper?

I definitely have the same feelings. Not only is it cheaper but I have to say UCSD has a respected program as it is referred to as UCSF's sister school. I can't help but think that the person who is considering CNCP over UCSD is just consumed with fear of getting rejected by UCSD. Have confidence in yourself guys, it goes a long way...

hey shik, have you heard from Touro? how did your interview go?

yeah, everything was mailed out AFTER the 20th (which was when they had their meeting)

hmm... i believe that was my point, you got to have pre-cand to officially accept students...

Which is why i wonder what kind of students CNCP can attract considering these students will have to wait after JUNE to become officially accepted...

good school. did u have any pharamcy experience?
Hey Pdang,
Yeah I had some experience in pharmacy as well as hospital interning, how about yourself where did you go to school?

Hey Pdang,
Yeah I had some experience in pharmacy as well as hospital interning, how about yourself where did you go to school?
bs biochem cal state fullerton. gpa 3.0
4 years tech at retail pharmacy

kpunk101 and pdang.

You guys sound like two very bright and dedicated people. i wish you guys luck and hope you guys will accomplish your goals.

Hilo got their precand last year, thats fine.
I am assuming you didn't get acceptance from Jefferson before jefferson got pre-cand ( offically in the mail at least, did u? I know for a fact nobody got one from Sullivan

Yeah I know they have to be accredited with some kind of status before they accept students... I know that is the fishy mysterious part...totally understand that, but I don't know right now what to do. Still have time so I'll think about it.

kpunk101 and pdang.

You guys sound like two very bright and dedicated people. i wish you guys luck and hope you guys will accomplish your goals.
thx and good luck at western

Yeah I know they have to be accredited with some kind of status before they accept students... I know that is the fishy mysterious part...totally understand that, but I don't know right now what to do. Still have time so I'll think about it.

they can't ask you for a deposit before they get pre-cand, just tell them that if they ask for it. They have to hold your spot for you until they get their status and then ask you for it.... They are being cheap and trying to take advantage of students.

kpunk101 and pdang.

Aw thats a very nice thing to say, thank you. Best of luck to you with pharmacy school.

they can't ask you for a deposit before they get pre-cand, just tell them that if they ask for it. They have to hold your spot for you until they get their status and then ask you for it.... They are being cheap and trying to take advantage of students.
Oh that is a really good point I will def keep that in mind ..I'll call them. =)

hey shik, have you heard from Touro? how did your interview go?

Hi terse congrats on all your acceptances thus far =P

I got medium alternate but my Touro interview was absolutely HORRENDOUS. It was totally the opposite of what was found on SDN (and one of our interviewers even swore AT one of our interviewees). I was so intimidated beyond explanation.
---------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the rotation sites for CNCP, my interviewers said they will mostly be in and around the Sacramento area. They also said there are lots and lots of places so there shouldn't be a problem. Also, you begin the beginning rotations (the introductory ones, not the advanced ones) in the P1 year.

Finally, for those who commented on my friend who interviewed at UCSD, like I said, I totally understand your skepticism about CNCP. However, please don't bag on my friend because of your skepticism. It's not like I feel 100% safe either, but I do respect her decision and if something becomes in FACT horrendously wrong about CNCP later, then I of course will step in and talk to her about it. Okay I really should get back to studying lol. Darn SDN. SUCH A DISTRACTION! :D

Hi terse congrats on all your acceptances thus far =P

I got medium alternate but my Touro interview was absolutely HORRENDOUS. It was totally the opposite of what was found on SDN (and one of our interviewers even swore AT one of our interviewees). I was so intimidated beyond explanation.
---------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the rotation sites for CNCP, my interviewers said they will mostly be in and around the Sacramento area. They also said there are lots and lots of places so there shouldn't be a problem. Also, you begin the beginning rotations (the introductory ones, not the advanced ones) in the P1 year.

Finally, for those who commented on my friend who interviewed at UCSD, like I said, I totally understand your skepticism about CNCP. However, please don't bag on my friend because of your skepticism. It's not like I feel 100% safe either, but I do respect her decision and if something becomes in FACT horrendously wrong about CNCP later, then I of course will step in and talk to her about it. Okay I really should get back to studying lol. Darn SDN. SUCH A DISTRACTION! :D
Hey Shikamaru,
Yeah I remember them mentioned the rotation sites and something about doing rotations at UC- Davis' med center..did they mention that to you??