Caffeinism Pharmacologic Treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say, does anyone know if there is a evidence-based pharmacotherapy standard for treating caffeinism (not the superacute case where you dialysize someone) outside of behavioral and phased withdrawal? I used to remember that we used methylprednisone in the past for the acute withdrawal, but I cannot find anything even resembling a trial for this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine you would just be managing their withdrawal symptoms so it would depend on the patient

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading a bunch of old case reports and had to figure this out in two hours, turns out the antidote for caffeine toxicity is:
1. Activated charcoal for clearance increase
2. Symptom management (as you pointed out)
3. Low dose non-selective beta-blocker also for symptom management and for counteractivation (hope your patient is not asthmatic)

This stuff though is 1960s-70s. This isn't in any recent textbook, which surprises me. I guess the assumption is that theophylline antidotes work.

Oh, this isn't me saying "I'm hot stuff." I really didn't know and there really isn't a good evidence-based method for it.

This stuff though is 1960s-70s. This isn't in any recent textbook, which surprises me. I guess the assumption is that theophylline antidotes work.

Either that, or the assumption is that people have such high tolerance levels from all the monster drinks around, th at cafeinism is no longer a problem.