CAGS/CGS/CAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudianSlip1533

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a masters in clinical psychology from a 48-credit program in Rhode Island. I currently live in Massachusetts, and wish to relocate to New Hampshire. I am dropping out of my overpriced PsyD program and am looking to get my LMHC instead. In order to do this, I need to get post-masters certification to meet educational licensing requirements.

I have been doing a lot of research on different programs, CACREP accreditation, cost/time involved, etc. and my head is spinning.
Can someone clarify the difference between a certificate of advanced graduate studies/certificate of graduate studies/certificate of advanced studies, or if there is any difference?
The CAGS programs seem to be the most common from what I've gathered, and seem to take a lot of time (about 2 years). I already have a masters and at this point, going through another 2 or so years of schooling feels like getting my masters all over again. Even though I graduated from a 48-credit masters program, I technically took about 54 or so credits because I took a few extra summer classes. I don't want to waste any more time or money, so any advice, thoughts, information, etc. is greatly appreciated.

The two schools I am most likely to pursue are Bridgewater State University and Plymouth State University (preferably Plymouth as I want to move to New Hampshire). I have also looked at Rhode Island College because a lot of my classmates went there and it's much shorter completion time, but would also make me eligible for Rhode Island licensure which I am not really interested in, and RIC is not CACREP accredited.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly have never heard of CAGS/CGS or CAS. I guess I would have said yes if you asked me if they existed, but like you, I'm not sure I see the point of they are 2 year programs. Off the top of my head, I don't see the benefit in getting a 2 year certificate when it would be more beneficial to just have a masters?

Will CACREP accreditation matter if you are getting graduate certificate? If the graduate certificate has enough hours, that in essence you are attending enough of your core classes all over again, I'd reallly look at doing a masters instead of a certificate.

I'm sorry, I don't have any knowledge of those particular schools. I'll give the standard advice of no online degrees though :)

Hi Goobernut, thank you for replying.
I already have a masters in clinical psychology, and getting a second one (even though it seems like it would take about the same amount of time) would cost more than just getting the certificate to finish up the requirements I need to become license eligible for my LMHC or LCMHC. And even though my masters was not from a CACREP accredited program, the CAGS certificate programs at Bridgewater and Plymouth State Universities are CACREP accredited. It seems important, especially for a state like New Hampshire which seems to prefer you go to a CACREP accredited program. This is all just what I've heard from others and information I have read, so I could be wrong. Thank you for your reply, and yes I am avoiding the online degree.

I think I worded my question wrong. I believe accreditation matters, but are you taking enough classes through the certificate program to have ALL your education requirements count as accredited?

For example, are any credits being transferred from your clinical psych program? Because if any of those credits are from an unaccredited school, will the state you are applying for licensure in accept them if it requires accreditation? I hope I'm making sense, I feel like maybe I should draw a color coded chart ha.

How many hours is the certificate?