Cal poly Pomona or UC Merced

Nick414

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I go to UC Merced or Cal Poly Pomona? I was accepted to UCR, UCM, poly and waitlisted at Santa Cruz (obviously if the waitlist pull through, I go there). So between UCM and UCR, I heard that UC Merced was the better school (modern, best professors, "private experience" - due to small pop. Et cetera). But I recently got into cal poly and now I do not know what to do. The ultimate goal is med school btw. I am stilling thinking Merced because I figure that I would have access to more research opportunities and I would be able to out perform the majority of the students. Can someone give me teh pros and cons of both schools for pre-med? For poly, I got into a biochem major and for Merced, I signed up for bio in the beginning but I'm hoping to change it to biochem as soon as I can. Also, for mcats and such, is biochem the perfect major? I understand that it would be wayyyyyy harder for me then bio, but I think biochem is wayyyy cooler and would give me more opportunities and prep me MCAT wise. So better to stay and finnese in bio or switch to challenging biochem? Thank you. Also, can someone give me like a map to plan out my college career? I want to do everything possible to get into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I go to UC Merced or Cal Poly Pomona? I was accepted to UCR, UCM, poly and waitlisted at Santa Cruz (obviously if the waitlist pull through, I go there). So between UCM and UCR, I heard that UC Merced was the better school (modern, best professors, "private experience" - due to small pop. Et cetera). But I recently got into cal poly and now I do not know what to do. The ultimate goal is med school btw. I am stilling thinking Merced because I figure that I would have access to more research opportunities and I would be able to out perform the majority of the students. Can someone give me teh pros and cons of both schools for pre-med? For poly, I got into a biochem major and for Merced, I signed up for bio in the beginning but I'm hoping to change it to biochem as soon as I can. Also, for mcats and such, is biochem the perfect major? I understand that it would be wayyyyyy harder for me then bio, but I think biochem is wayyyy cooler and would give me more opportunities and prep me MCAT wise. So better to stay and finnese in bio or switch to challenging biochem? Thank you. Also, can someone give me like a map to plan out my college career? I want to do everything possible to get into med school.

When I was still living in CA UC Merced was sort of still seen as a "start-up" school and wasn't as established, but that was about 10 years ago. Cal Poly Pomona has been around for a while. I think both would be great choices, and I don't think either of those (or UCSC) would have a leg above the others--they're all good schools. UCR has a medical school and it accepts a lot of its own students, which is something to consider. (I personally would go with UCSC or Merced just for the location... Merced itself is not that great, but Yosemite Valley is only a 2hr drive away)

Biochem is not the perfect major for the MCAT. No major is. Seriously--major in what you want to major, and in something that you would want to do if you don't get into medical school (or end up changing your mind). Biochem is great if that's what you really like, but if you love physics or English you could major in either and just take the pre-reqs. The vast majority of people who start out pre-med don't end up going to med school for one reason or another. Data shows essentially no advantage on the older MCAT (I assume it's the same for the new one, but others can prove me wrong if I am mistaken) between a science major and humanities major. I outperformed the vast majority of other pre-meds on the MCAT and I was an art major. I only took the basic pre-reqs and intro to biochem. I don't think biochem helped me much on the MCAT, but I've heard there's more biochem on the new MCAT, so it'd still be worth taking.

The MCAT is designed to test what you learn in the pre-req courses. If you do well and pay attention in those classes, you should do OK. The best way to prep for the MCAT is to do well in the pre-reqs. It also helps to not let too much time pass--I took the MCAT a few weeks after finishing a year when I took physics/bio/o-chem, so gen-chem (taken the prior summer) was my most rusty subject area.

There's no need to take any additional coursework. I know a lot of people take anatomy and physiology, or other courses, but you'll learn that anyway in medical school, and in much greater depth. But I did take a neurobio course in undergrad just because I was really interested in it.

I guess that's a long way of saying, major in and take courses in what you want/enjoy.