Calc 1-3, how do I not die?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeton Medical Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dudes/gals

I'm taking Calc 1 next semester, and will eventually have to take Calc 2, and Calc 3 (Computer Science major) Given how notoriously difficult the above classes can be, and given that I haven't taken AP Calc, are there any good resources, or ways to prepare over intersession? Any tips/tricks as to how to not have my GPA be further butchered?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Khan Academy and Paul's Online Math Notes are your best friends.
I was about to say khan academy too!

Honestly, for me I just did all my homework and any practice exams that were available and did fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Khan Academy and Paul's Online Math Notes are your best friends.

I preach these hardcore. As someone who has a math degree and has done lots of tutoring, the best way to thrive in the calc series is to find ways to make each subject concrete. If you can translate each subject into something not so abstract, it will be much easier. That's basically how I did every math course, even abstract algebra lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Calc 1: do practice problems all day every day
Calc 2: didn't take, took stats instead xD

calc 1 is not as hard as people make it out to be. You pretty much learn some rules, how to apply them to a couple of things, then do that over and over. Don't fret, I was terrified of it, and became a physics major because I enjoyed it so much.

How to get an A in Cal:
Step 1: Find yourself 3 ti-84's
Step 2: Save every equation and graphs you will ever need in them
Step 3: boil the ti-84's for 25 minutes exactly at 112.3C
Step 4: eat them with 2% milk and receive mad knowledge gainz

or just watch khan academy either way I guess...

Reactions: 2 users
How to get an A in Cal:
Step 1: Find yourself 3 ti-84's
Step 2: Save every equation and graphs you will ever need in them
Step 3: boil the ti-84's for 25 minutes exactly at 112.3C
Step 4: eat them with 2% milk and receive mad knowledge gainz

or just watch khan academy either way I guess...
what happens if you use 1% milk? :O

Everyone already gave you some really good advice. the only thing I can add is to Brush up on your trig before the semester starts.

If you have taken a pre calc course and are reasonably confident with the courses leading into calc you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Like any math don't freak out and think you can't do it.

Btw, what is calc 3? At my schools calc was only two classes (single variable) and multivariable calc was part of a different series.
Edit: or is this quarter system?

what happens if you use 1% milk? :O
For the love of all that is holy do not... I repeat DO NOT use 1% milk. You will most likely be so confused by the equations that at best you will change to dental school... guaranteed. My friend Jim made this mistake once. Last I heard he became a zookeeper at the Cincinatti zoo, and well I'm sure you can guess what happened after that..

For the love of all that is holy do not... I repeat DO NOT use 1% milk. You will most likely be so confused by the equations that at best you will change to dental school... guaranteed. My friend Jim made this mistake once. Last I heard he became a zookeeper at the Cincinatti zoo, and well I'm sure you can guess what happened after that..
Dare I ask what happens if you have the audacity to use 0% skimmed milk??? D:

Thank you for both helpful and hillarious responses. I am hoping for the best and I'll be sure to review my trig over intersession. Thank you :)

calc 1 is not as hard as people make it out to be. You pretty much learn some rules, how to apply them to a couple of things, then do that over and over. Don't fret, I was terrified of it, and became a physics major because I enjoyed it so much.

Calc 1 isn't hard. If you have a good calc 2 prof, it will be more difficult so that calc 3 just feels like a natural extension of stuff you've already done.

Calc 1 is easy, calc 2 is tricky because it jumps right in expecting you to have retained everything (I had a 4 week xmas break in between the classes and forgot a lot of small things). Concepts are more overwhelming but I hear it's very doable

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do yourself a favor and buy a TI-89 or NSpire CAS. Yes, they can do calculus, but that doesn't really help because a professor can obviously see if you provide a correct answer with no work (and there is a lot of work). The merit of these devices is in their ability to do fast and efficient arithmetic in a format that mimics what you're writing, free of calculator syntax. They also have algebraic manipulation tools that are insanely powerful. Look into it if they're allowed in your class.

I took calc 1-3 and honestly, patrickJMT was so helpful. It is definitely doable, just check out his YouTube channel!

Dare I ask what happens if you have the audacity to use 0% skimmed milk??? D:
The ti-84 was invented in 2004. The same year of the deadliest tsunami in history killing over 220,000 people. Coincidence? I think not. For the greater good of humanity I urge all of you to warn your family, friends, and classmates not to eat there ti-84's with 0% skimmed milk or I'm afraid we're all doomed.

I found Chegg really helpful when doing problems from the textbook! (but it costs money)....

Learn up and be strong in algebra. Calculus by itself is easy to understand, the algebra that goes along with it is what makes it difficult.