California switches from Continuing Education (CE) to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours for license renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrackCPD

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the variety of activities completed in 2022 count or do only the traditional CEs count until this officially started in 2023? I renew in 2024.
The board says if you renew in 2023, you have the choice to do CEs still or CPDs. Those in 2024 are now on the CPD method. I’m 2024 also so I have to switch.

That being said, you can still use up to 27 hours of CEs towards CPDs. The remaining nine hours have to come from at least one of the other categories. Oh and four of the hours have to be Law and Ethics related and four of the hours have to be Cultural Diversity/Social Justice related.

Members don't see this ad :)

I shared my opinion here.

In CA, some of the CEs granted for different activities in the CPD model provided are ridiculous and oddly arbitrary.
ONE CE to attend a day-long conference that you’ll probably pay hundreds out of pocket for. Six CEs to teach a semester long psychology course…..that you would spend hundreds of hours on. Six CEs granted for serving an entire year in a professional psychology organization. Nine CEs to publish in a peer reviewed journal.

None of these even come close to meeting the 36 hour requirement, yet take a huge amount of time.

The CPD model benefits psychologists in academia most, who are already paid to teach, write grants, publish, and get their conferences completely paid for. In one fell swoop, their CEs are mostly covered by those activities without spending a single cent or more time than their daily job.

The model seems to penalize private practitioners who work a full schedule and don’t have the time to engage in those kinds of pursuits.

It’s maddening to be micromanaged to this degree and to create a model that clearly benefits some over others based on career track. To create a system in which one track’s paid job duties already meet CA requirements “just because” while another career track meets none at all is not a fair system, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

I shared my opinion here.
Yup. If the academic activities I completed in 2022 count...I'm all set for my 2024 renewal. Just means doing fewer CE courses for me.

The board says if you renew in 2023, you have the choice to do CEs still or CPDs. Those in 2024 are now on the CPD method. I’m 2024 also so I have to switch.

That being said, you can still use up to 27 hours of CEs towards CPDs. The remaining nine hours have to come from at least one of the other categories. Oh and four of the hours have to be Law and Ethics related and four of the hours have to be Cultural Diversity/Social Justice related.
Yes, I read that, but it's still unclear. I can renew without much in the way of traditional CE courses if my 2022 activities count. If 2023 goes the same, it shouldn't really matter but it would be nice to know if I'm done for this cycle.
Also didn't see anything about required supervision CEs so would be nice to know if that's still a thing.

I'll email the board.

Oh I see what you’re saying now. Yeah, that’s a bit fuzzy. Please let us know what the board says. Did you record the activities in 2022 the way the board is requiring now?

Oh I see what you’re saying now. Yeah, that’s a bit fuzzy. Please let us know what the board says. Did you record the activities in 2022 the way the board is requiring now?
I'll keep you updated. I didn't record them but it would be very easy to retrospectively log them. It's all in my outlook calendar.

Reactions: 1 user