Calling on your behalf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PicasoSchmicaso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you approach Dermatologists that you have worked with, your PD and/or your Derm Chair to call programs on your behalf? Scenario 1: you interviewed there and want to be ranked high; Scenario 2: you have not recieved an interview from that program and want one. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I'll attempt to answer since no one else has...

Doc: You'll do great, don't worry you'll match. Of course I'll write you a rec.
Me: Thanks! A lot of students have similar profiles to mine since derm is getting so competitive. So I will likely need you and your professional network for support, even beyond the recommendation. I'm sorry for the hassle, but your word could really boost my chances to match!
Doc: I understand. I know a bunch of the people at universities X, Y, and Z. And I'd be happy to call up places when you are interviewing.

Doc: You'll do great, don't worry you'll match. Of course I'll write you a rec.
Me: Thanks! A lot of students have similar profiles to mine since derm is getting so competitive. So I will likely need you and your professional network for support, even beyond the recommendation. I'm sorry for the hassle, but your word could really boost my chances to match!
Doc: Ok....someone is a little needy. sure sure I'll give them a call. I have nothing else to do.

OP. on a serious note, if you have to ask on an anonymous forum about how to ask someone to call on your behalf, then you are not that close to that person to have them do you that type of favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people are introverted and need some guidance before putting themselves out there.

I think this is a very important topic that has potential to backfire, depending on the situation. There are a few things to consider about asking your PD or program chair to call other programs on your behalf.

#1- To your home program, this could come across as you being uninterested in your home program. With some programs, this could even result in you being ranked lower on their rank list. This is more likely to occur if your home program is small, low-mid tier, and values ‘loyalty' over qualifications (probably not the kind of program where you want to match anyways!). However, if there are multiple derm applicants from your class who are applying, your PD/Chair is a reasonable individual, and you attend a high tier med school then I think asking for networking on your behalf is fine.
#2- To the program receiving this phone call, the thought "So why don't you want your own applicant?" could cross their mind. However, if the person who is calling on your behalf is able to communicate something convincing (your spouse has already matched at their program, your family is from there, etc), I think this issue would be avoided.

In summary, asking your program to call another program on your behalf has the potential to burn TWO bridges. An applicant is lucky to match into dermatology, no matter the program.

In my opinion, The IDEAL situation is to develop a strong relationship with a clinician-educator who is well connected with a reasonable number of programs yet loosely connected with your home program. Such a person has the goal of helping you to match into dermatology- no matter the program. I had the good fortune of having such a mentor. He would frequently check in throughout the application/interview process. On more than one occasion I informed him that a few programs that I was interested in (and had specific interest or a mild connection with) had sent out their first round of interviews but I had not yet received a rejection. In response to this information, he usually offered to contact such programs.

Other helpful information can be found here:
http://www.derminterest.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=178

I think this is a very important topic that has potential to backfire, depending on the situation. There are a few things to consider about asking your PD or program chair to call other programs on your behalf.

#1- To your home program, this could come across as you being uninterested in your home program. With some programs, this could even result in you being ranked lower on their rank list. This is more likely to occur if your home program is small, low-mid tier, and values ‘loyalty’ over qualifications (probably not the kind of program where you want to match anyways!). However, if there are multiple derm applicants from your class who are applying, your PD/Chair is a reasonable individual, and you attend a high tier med school then I think asking for networking on your behalf is fine.
#2- To the program receiving this phone call, the thought “So why don’t you want your own applicant?” could cross their mind. However, if the person who is calling on your behalf is able to communicate something convincing (your spouse has already matched at their program, your family is from there, etc), I think this issue would be avoided.

In summary, asking your program to call another program on your behalf has the potential to burn TWO bridges. An applicant is lucky to match into dermatology, no matter the program.

In my opinion, The IDEAL situation is to develop a strong relationship with a clinician-educator who is well connected with a reasonable number of programs yet loosely connected with your home program. Such a person has the goal of helping you to match into dermatology- no matter the program. I had the good fortune of having such a mentor. He would frequently check in throughout the application/interview process. On more than one occasion I informed him that a few programs that I was interested in (and had specific interest or a mild connection with) had sent out their first round of interviews but I had not yet received a rejection. In response to this information, he usually offered to contact such programs.

Other helpful information can be found here:
http://www.derminterest.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=178

i've always wondered this question, since people tell me it's so critical to have someone call for you, and the higher up/more famous, the better.. but if you ask your PD to call another program for you, aren't you basically saying your home program isn't your #1? or can you say something like, "while my home institution is my top choice, would you mind putting in a good word for me at X institution, since derm is so competitive"..?