Can an MD become the dean of a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicken Bone

Reaction score
Just curious. our dean is leaving to be the dean of an MD school (or president maybe I am not sure) and I also saw DOs being the dean of other MD schools last year when I interviewed, but it doesn't seem like there is an MD dean for DO school. so my question if AOA allows an MD or FMG (MBBCh?) to be the dean?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious. our dean is leaving to be the dean of an MD school (or president maybe I am not sure) and I also saw DOs being the dean of other MD schools last year when I interviewed, but it doesn't seem like there is an MD dean for DO school. so my question if AOA allows an MD or FMG (MBBCh?) to be the dean?

No. It's a requirement to be accredited by COCA for DO Schools

Element 2.1: Dean Qualifications (CORE)
A COM must have a dean who is qualified for the position by education, training, and experience to provide effective leadership in education, scholarly activity, and patient care. The dean must have:

1. An earned DO degree from a COCA-accredited college of osteopathic medicine;
  2. An unrestricted medical license at some time in his/her career, free of disciplinary actions or sanctions while licensed;
  3. AOA OR ABMS board certification at some time in his/her career; and
  4. At least five years of proven experience within the last ten years in academic leadership roles that includes budget management authority

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why not, especially given that both degrees have equally competent physicians. Isn't this similar to DOs being PDs/APDs at ACGME programs?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Why on earth would we let someone who hasnt been anointed by Ye Ole AT Still be Lord overeath our University? Sounds like a one way ticket to osteopathic hell!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Somewhat related, but are there any DOs that teach at MD schools for like basic sciences?

stop desecrating these sacred lands you peasants

Reminds me how at my uni the dean of psychology was a psychiatrist...

Somewhat related, but are there any DOs that teach at MD schools for like basic sciences?
Yes, at least at Iowa-Carver. A couple of pre-clinical lectures were given by DOs. In addition, the Ob/Gyn clerkship director for M3s is also a DO.

To add to this thread:
Can a DPM become a dean of a DO school, or a MD school?
Can a Pharm D become a dean of a DO or MD school?
How about a DPT, O.D.? or a DC(Chiropractic medicine)?

Slightly related but i have a huge respect for DO deans and dept chairs.
Give me my respect. All the respect. And yes, only a DO has the distinctive knowledge required to dean a DO school. Who would trust a nurse to be their physician? Who trusts a large animal vet for their clerkships? RPCCOM that’s who. But neither of those things are related to a running a COM like a busin... I mean fulfil the primary care needs of America.

• Haha
1611757521246.png