This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_EndlesslyThankful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can an MD Direct Commission without completing residency? My partner is Army and has advised me to look into applying for both the Army and the Air Force for potential Direct Commission. We have spoken to a couple recruiters but they haven't seemed to know much about the process for a direct commission in an applicant without residency training. Does anyone have insight into this process. I have been told that I would likely be able to direct commission as a basic officer. Would anyone be able to confirm? Also, would anyone be able to provide insight into Direct Commission into the army vs the air force? Also would there be any benefit to be being in the Army over the airforce since that is the branch my partner belongs to. Any and all insight and advice is much appreciated. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a US medical school graduate? Have you finished intern year? If you want to commission in the medical corps the minimum you would need is to have completed intern year and have an independent license. (Never heard of anyone joining without residency but I think it’s technically possible when reviewing the Navy instruction, OPNAVINST 1120.4C; I imagine the requirements for the Army and Air Force are similar)

Why don’t you want to finish residency? If you are somehow able to join you would still need to finish residency if you hope to progress in your career in the medical corps. What is the motivation to join the military? You can apply to commission as a line officer but it would not utilize the degree so it’s essentially a career change.