Height/Weight or BF% for commissioning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how this works? I'm finding mostly regs for people already on active duty or enlisting and not sure if it's the same or stricter for commissioning. I'm working off Army regs for USU and AF for HPSP.

I basically need to know the latest point I can meet this requirement. I've been losing weight for over a year and hopefully will make it in time.

I will be a 30yo 5'5" male at time of hopeful commissioning.

Members don't see this ad.

For Air Force - this was the height / weight info valid last year ( You are being redirected.... ) - sorry cannot find a more 'official link' right now. Talk to your recruiter as these get updated from time to time. (Army will likely be stricter...)

You will get measured at MEPS and that is when you have to make the weight cut-off.

No difference between enlisting and commissioning for the initial weight standards (pilots do have some additional (stricter) criteria but that should not be applicable for you). Also (in contrast to the PT test standards later on) you do not get any 'bonus points' for age ... i.e. your MEPS weight is not being 'age-adjusted' in any way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much do you weigh now? How much did you weigh when you started losing weight?
About 195 now, was around 250 at max. I haven't been going super hard because I wasn't sure about the military at first. Seems like I need about 30lb more off which should be do-able hopefully.

Congrats on the weight loss. That said, I’ve seen firsthand the special hell the military could put people through that battle fluffiness. If you have any family or genetic predilection to obesity, I would caution you to think long and hard before joining the military.

Reactions: 1 users
I lost over 100 lbs to join so congrats on the weight loss because I know it's not easy!

As for commissioning for the Army you had to meet the 24% max body fat percentage or less or make it under the max weight for your height.

• Love
I lost over 100 lbs to join so congrats on the weight loss because I know it's not easy!

As for commissioning for the Army you had to meet the 24% max body fat percentage or less or make it under the max weight for your height.
Ty for the specifics and your story! Being fat sucks but I've been trying to make a change that's hopefully more or less permanent. I used to be super athletic, 160lb of pure muscle, just got fat after college without regular access to a gym or food that isn't sold in a dollar store since I live out in BFE. I started doing ordered meal kit stuff and it's helped a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Your recruiter might not send you to MEPS until you've got a decent buffer. Before my recruiter saw me, she was concerned by my weight a little. Even though I was about 12 pounds below the limit. Then she saw I had an athletic build when we met and realized it would be hard for me to fail a taping for BF%, even if I somehow gained 12 lbs.

Regardless, whether you choose to join or not, congratulations on the weight loss. Health is a life long journey, and more important than the AF or or anything else. Keep it up, and maintain it when you get to your goal.

• Love