Can an MSTP director affect your Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

De-Livery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently choosing between two MSTP programs and, after weeks of mulling over this particular uncertainty, have decided that I needed to ask you guys for help.

Independently of the research I pursue, I am currently interested in pursuing a surgical residency after I complete the MSTP program. I have heard that some MSTP directors are reluctant of their students pursuing surgery and wanted to know to what degree directors can affect that decision. In short, can an MSTP director affect your pursuit of a particular specialty and, if so, to what degree can they affect your decision.

PS: I know that residency interests are highly likely to change throughout this long process, but I would like to know that the option of surgery is there if I did wanted to pursue it.

Members don't see this ad.

Independently of the research I pursue, I am currently interested in pursuing a surgical residency after I complete the MSTP program.

I was interested in surgery also. Am I a surgeon now? Nope. You may become a surgeon, just be sure to keep an open mind.

I have heard that some MSTP directors are reluctant of their students pursuing surgery and wanted to know to what degree directors can affect that decision. In short, can an MSTP director affect your pursuit of a particular specialty and, if so, to what degree can they affect your decision.

The only thing they can do is decide whether or not to accept you into the MD/PhD program. Saying that you want to be a surgeon might decrease your chances. Once you're in, you can do what you want. It's definitely in their interest to have you match, and they will support you to match well in any specialty. They might try to talk you out of some specialties or into some specialties, but this is your decision and they respect that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Neuronix! That's exactly what I needed to hear!