Can anyone give Sample Post-Bac Academic Course Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremed85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm trying to put together an informal postbac program for myself through extension. I tried applying to post-bacs, but no luck.

Can anyone tell me what Post-Bac program you guys went to, how you planned out your academic session, and can give me a sample course program of the courses you took? Did you guys do any seminars, medical school information session, interview practice, etc.?

Again,
- What post-bac program did you do?
- Can you give a Sample Post-Bac Academic Program? (list of courses you took and how you came to decide on those courses?)
- Did you guys attend any medical informational meetings?
- What about volunteerism or clinical research or work experience during program?
- Health Professions Advisor meetings?

Thanks! -futuremed85

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm trying to put together an informal postbac program for myself through extension. I tried applying to post-bacs, but no luck.

Can anyone tell me what Post-Bac program you guys went to, how you planned out your academic session, and can give me a sample course program of the courses you took? Did you guys do any seminars, medical school information session, interview practice, etc.?

Again,
- Can you give a Sample Post-Bac Academic Program? (list of courses you took and how you came to decide on those courses?)
- What about volunteerism or clinical research or work experience during program?

Thanks! -futuremed85

Hi there,

I may not be much help but here a link to the AAMC site which shows the vast array of programs offered in the US. Try to see if there are any other programs on this site you maybe interested in.

http://www.services.aamc.org/postbac/

Also, be sure to post on the post-baccalaureate/special masters program forms on SDN as well. They may be able to help you more.

As for myself, I have been recently accepted to the Imi Ho'ola Post-baccalaureate program in Hawaii. This is one of the few programs that give direct admission to the medical school they are partnered with. So after this program, I will be apart of the MS-1 class of the Hawaii medical school (no more MCAT or reapplying).

Sadly the program gives preference to people from Hawaii and the Pacific Islands. However, if you have ties to the pacific islands/ hawaii then you should try for this program.

It is a very tough program where you are doing 22 credits hours (a week!). The first six weeks to find what kind of learner are you and to set you up with a study schedule. Then you will go through 2 semesters were you will be taking: 2 credits fall and spring (4 total) of scientific basis of medicine, 11 credits fall and spring (22 credits total) of medical biology, 6 credits fall and spring (12 credits) of medical biochemistry, 3 credits fall of speech, and 3 credits spring of ethics in health care. The last six weeks of the program are exit interviews and assessments of students. Then after that matriculation to year-1.

People who have taken this program say that ms-1 and ms-2 years were much easier. I also found that people who have taken this program have "all" passed their USMLEs (first try) for the past 6 years!

So try to see if you can get yourself into one of these programs which really prepare you not to "get into medical school" but to "succeed in medical school" (one's that give direct admission or conditional acceptance after completion of their program).

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Hey,

Again,

Thanks! -futuremed85

Personally, I simply went into my undergraduate university's registration page and registered for courses. I didn't need to re-apply or anything. I just looked online and at the pre-med info the university provided to determine what courses I needed. I have not been involved with any pre-medical organizations through the university (which I may regret now applying) because I worked while taking the courses and didn't have a lot of extra time. The pre-med adviser I met basically repeated all the information available online, so they didn't provide me with anything useful. For hospital volunteering, I simply went to the hospital's website and looked it up there and applied. Good luck!

I don't know where you are geographically, but I was happy with my post-bac at Florida Atlantic University. I don't think it was too strict to get into, but once you're in you do have to maintain the proper GPA to have access to all they offer (committee letter, specific advisors, etc.)

The courses were pretty much the usual and you can take them in the order you feel comfortable. Once you get to the upper levels, there are some options for different classes, but you have to get 60 credits of required courses to get the certificate and to be eligible for the committee evaluation.

Here was my schedule:
Fall 1: Chem 1, Bio 1, Phys 1 (all with associate labs)
Spring 1: Chem 2, Bio 2, Phys 2 (+labs)
Summer 1: Ochem 1, Micro 1 (+lab), Spanish 1, Pre-med success
Fall 2: Ochem 2, Ochem Lab (big 2 credit lab), Human Morph 1 (+lab), Pre-professional studies (+lab), Genetics
Spring 2: Human Morph 2 (+lab), Biochem 1, Stats, 2 X Gym classes

That covered all my prereqs. The pre-professional class lab was actually shadowing experience with numerous doctors, so it was really helpful. I also shadowed on my own, and joined different clubs to find volunteer opportunities.

It can most definitely done "a la carte" just get the pre reqs in their some how. Don't rush it, you have plenty of time regardless of what you think. Just do well in class and make sure you put some dedicated MCAT study time in there for when you are ready to take that monster.

Good luck