Can cvs dm force you to work when sick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend of mine who is a very good pharmacist and has been with cvs for 20 years. She never called in sick but one day she
had severe case of migraine. She called dm telling him that she cant open the store. The dm said that no matter what she will have to go open the store

Members don't see this ad.

No, they can't force you to go to work when you are sick. But the DM is also not forced to keep you employed either

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At least in my job I don't see how a pharmacist can call in sick but our techs seem to have no issue doing it even if they're the only one opening.

Are we suppose to call our DM an hour before the store opens or PIC or what for emergency sicknesses?

I have a friend of mine who is a very good pharmacist and has been with cvs for 20 years. She never called in sick but one day she
had severe case of migraine. She called dm telling him that she cant open the store. The dm said that no matter what she will have to go open the store

I know pharmacists who have had this happen to them in the past as well, even in cases where children <1 year old have pneumonia, pharmacist had to go in and was warned that termination wasn't out of the question if they didn't show up.

DM cannot fire you just because you call in sick period. If they do that you know there will be plenty of lawyers out there who will be getting you handsomely compensated for the wrongful firing. On the other hand, if you have been calling in sick all the time after the 6th or 7th "occurrence" within a 12 month rolling period you can be terminated for sure.

This is one of those it depends a whole lot on the details kind of thing. At CVS, this would never be handles by a DM. Generally, there are no pharmacists waiting to go in like a substitute half back on a football team. Unless you are incapacitated, the thing to do is to go in and open the store. Even if you can't really function, the store is open until your supe can get someone. It's not like you want him to wake everyone of your colleagues at 3AM to find somebody to cover you.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know other district but in mine, if you are opening pharmacist, (1) text/call your partner if he can cover. If plan (1) didnt work, plan (2) is to go in and open pharmacy (unless you are in ER or in car accident) and call scheduler to get any floater to cover. You just hang in there until other coverage comes.

I have never seen pharmacists calling in sick without finding any coverage so far.

I don't know other district but in mine, if you are opening pharmacist, (1) text/call your partner if he can cover. If plan (1) didnt work, plan (2) is to go in and open pharmacy (unless you are in ER or in car accident) and call scheduler to get any floater to cover. You just hang in there until other coverage comes.

I have never seen pharmacists calling in sick without finding any coverage so far.

That is pretty much standard operating procedure from my experience as well. If that pharmacist has been with CVS for 20 years, she should have some people who would do her a 'favor' and open a store for her. If you want to depend on DM/scheduler, it will be hit or miss. Of course there are times when I covered sick calls and open shifts only continue working for much longer than DM/scheduler said I would... because they couldn't find anyone.

Yeah, I would not go in sick, even "just to open". Once you are in the store, you are at the mercy of hoping someone will relieve you. Just call your patner first, pharm sup second. It's their job to handle situations like that after all.

Yeah, I would not go in sick, even "just to open". Once you are in the store, you are at the mercy of hoping someone will relieve you. Just call your patner first, pharm sup second. It's their job to handle situations like that after all.
You shouldn't have to, but unfortunately at CVS you're told to go in and open the store and "we'll try to get someone in there", which is code for "we don't have anyone else to work so tough it out until 10pm". I had to work plenty of surprise double shifts on my day off because I knew that if I didn't go in I was sentencing my partner to a double with gastroenteritis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. This go in and work until coverage magically arrives is BS. If you're sick enough you can't work a full day you're sick enough that only opening is problematic. It's dangerous for you to be there working. (couldn't imagine doing scripts or flu shots with a high fever or intractable diarrhea) The times I've covered for my partner coverage wouldn't arrive till 12-1

This is the DM's job and problem and I would call him and tell him I'm not gonna make it in. I don't care if he's calling and waking people up.

Our dm is a rph and nothing is stopping him from taking the shift other than he probably thinks it's below him now but I bet the scheduler will find someone to cover fast in that situation.

My martyrdom stops somewhere and this is it. Thought I haven't had to call in sick since my Appe rotations 8 years ago)

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. This go in and work until coverage magically arrives is BS. If you're sick enough you can't work a full day you're sick enough that only opening is problematic. It's dangerous for you to be there working. (couldn't imagine doing scripts or flu shots with a high fever or intractable diarrhea) The times I've covered for my partner coverage wouldn't arrive till 12-1

This is the DM's job and problem and I would call him and tell him I'm not gonna make it in. I don't care if he's calling and waking people up.

Our dm is a rph and nothing is stopping him from taking the shift other than he probably thinks it's below him now but I bet the scheduler will find someone to cover fast in that situation.

My martyrdom stops somewhere and this is it. Thought I haven't had to call in sick since my Appe rotations 8 years ago)
I agree
I cant believe some of the answers . They expect a sick rph to go to work. Really guys.

I almost went to work with the flu one time. My supervisors couldn't get anyone to cover my overnight shift and the other overnighter wasn't responding to my texts. I basically told them I would go in so the store could remain open for pickups, but I would not be filling any prescriptions. My partner called me right when I got to the store and said they would cover the shift, so I didn't end up working. So, if you need to go in to open a store sick, make sure everyone knows that you won't be actually filling prescriptions. That's how you incentivize getting coverage.

You must be kidding me. If you are sick, you are sick. If they tell you to go in and open the store, you tell them "NO." So you are telling me you have to drive a car with a migraine, and open a store with a migraine, and safely check prescriptions and function as a pharmacist with a migraine? That's the dumbest bulls*** I ever heard. When you are sick, you are sick, period. There is no opening a store and waiting for coverage to come in. Once you notify your DM, it's their responsibility to find coverage. If they "can't find coverage", well, they are a pharmacist, right? I'm sure they are capable of opening the store. Please, have a backbone.

I like what the poster above said. If you find yourself going into work even after telling your supervisor you are sick, make sure he or she knows you will only be there so the store can remain open, and that you will not be filling prescriptions. Give them a reason to find you coverage.

You must be kidding me. If you are sick, you are sick. If they tell you to go in and open the store, you tell them "NO." So you are telling me you have to drive a car with a migraine, and open a store with a migraine, and safely check prescriptions and function as a pharmacist with a migraine? That's the dumbest bulls*** I ever heard. When you are sick, you are sick, period. There is no opening a store and waiting for coverage to come in. Once you notify your DM, it's their responsibility to find coverage. If they "can't find coverage", well, they are a pharmacist, right? I'm sure they are capable of opening the store. Please, have a backbone.

I like what the poster above said. If you find yourself going into work even after telling your supervisor you are sick, make sure he or she knows you will only be there so the store can remain open, and that you will not be filling prescriptions. Give them a reason to find you coverage.
I agree

Seems like if you did that you'd have a huge target on your back.

How hard is it to go in so the pharmacy can open and sit down until someone can come in? Does no one here care about their store? This isn't like most other jobs where someone else can simply take over or they can go without you for the day. Take a little responsibility.

Seriously? The responsible thing is to not show up to work sick where you could pass along a disease or make a fatal error while impaired.

There's always someone to cover it is just the matter of the scheduler doing their job. My district probably has 40 ish full/part time staff and floating pharmacists. Assuming most store are solo staffed that's 20 people that could cover if calls were made. It's not like you are alone on an island isolated by 8 hours of boat travel

Some of the answers here make me cringe. I have been with cvs more than 2.5 years. I never called off. But if i am really sick, i will call in and i live 1 hour away. They will have to find coverage. The good news is my partner will be willing to cover

How hard is it to go in so the pharmacy can open and sit down until someone can come in? Does no one here care about their store? This isn't like most other jobs where someone else can simply take over or they can go without you for the day. Take a little responsibility.

Why hasn't this guy been promoted?! Now, that is leadership.

Why hasn't this guy been promoted?! Now, that is leadership.
I've already answered this, I have no desire.

Anyways, everyone here has experienced a call off from a coworker, I personally like to show leadership and come in and the rest of the staff follows suit. I just grab the lysol and hand sanitizer and use it regularly. Now I'm not saying if you're physically unable to come in to still show up just make an effort. It's calloffs that are 5 minutes before opening that make no sense. You should typically know much sooner when you can't come in.

Last edited:
I think it's nuts to expect anyone to show up to work Ill. I mean as long as you give the DM decent notice (4+ hours) they should be able to find someone to cover or do it themselves

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

So if you are set to open at 8am, you can call off at 4AM?

Yep. I'm sure the patients would just love a pharmacist with an emesis bag hanging 'round their neck, right?

Some companies don't hire enough pharmacists to have extra ones lying around. At those companies, going in until someone comes in = staying all day because they do not care about your well-being.

Wow this is sad, im not saying to work or go in if you are physically unable to go in. Just get the pharmacy open.

This forum is getting bad, I don't see this much negativity here.

So you go and open the pharmacy and actively tell people to go elsewhere when they show up with acute scripts to fill? Refuse to counsel? Refuse to take a doctor call? Not complete any scripts? What's the point of going in esp if takes 6 hora to find you coverage? That's gonna cause a way worse situation than calling in sick?

If you're sick enough that you can't work a full day you are sick enough that you shouldn't just be opening. I don't see this as negativity, it's called respecting yourself and standing up for yourself

Reactions: 2 users
Wow this is sad, im not saying to work or go in if you are physically unable to go in. Just get the pharmacy open.

This forum is getting bad, I don't see this much negativity here.
Whatever. If somebody was well enough to come in, they'd be coming in to work. You are being ridiculous.

I have my share of issues with this company. But calling out at 4am for 8am shift will not work for any business. If you want to do it the night before, I can understand that. For overnight guys, just call out once your shift is over before you head to bed. No excuse for cvs not to find coverage with 12 hour notice during the day.

by law if your illness is contagious, OSHA requires u not to go in to work.. otherwise, migraines, etc. is tough luck. just go in and tell customers you're sick, and it'll take u 24 hrs to fill their prescription. you can direct them to go to another cvs location... if they're coming to pickup help them if u can.. if not, call the store manager for assistance.. if not go to the break room, get some rest, and come back when you're better.

Oh yes, I'm sure patients and the health department have no problem with a puking pharmacist or one with diarrhea running down their leg. I seldom call in sick, maybe once every 4 - 5 years. But when I'm sick, I'm sick, and I'm not going to work--I will take some responsibility by protect other drivers and staying off the road, and protecting my co-workers & patients by not spreading my germs to them, when its obvious I'm in no condition to work.

by law if your illness is contagious, OSHA requires u not to go in to work.. otherwise, migraines, etc. is tough luck. just go in and tell customers you're sick, and it'll take u 24 hrs to fill their prescription. you can direct them to go to another cvs location... if they're coming to pickup help them if u can.. if not, call the store manager for assistance.. if not go to the break room, get some rest, and come back when you're better.

So you wouldn't go in with a cold?

Oh yes, I'm sure patients and the health department have no problem with a puking pharmacist or one with diarrhea running down their leg. I seldom call in sick, maybe once every 4 - 5 years. But when I'm sick, I'm sick, and I'm not going to work--I will take some responsibility by protect other drivers and staying off the road, and protecting my co-workers & patients by not spreading my germs to them, when its obvious I'm in no condition to work.

I'm talking about people that call off for colds, fever, etc. I've already said if you are physically unable to come in, don't.

Career Rph should know their rights. How can you not notify your supervisor about your health? It's true that we are very responsible to the core, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't take care of your health. How can you even operate the pharmacy with unfunctional mind? Decision making on therapeutics, employees, and patient requires a perfect and wholesome clinician. Do you see yourself as a mediocre? Then speak up and learn to communicate with your team. Other health care professionals know how to utilize their rights, then why not us? What are we afraid off? If we don't do it know, then it will continue to get worse. 'Speak up campaign and earn your respect'. Thanks.

I'm talking about people that call off for colds, fever, etc. I've already said if you are physically unable to come in, don't.

Colds, I'll agree with, people can work through a cold. But fever? No, when I have a fever, I'm barely functional enough to call in sick, much less try to run a pharmacy.