Can Enlisted Shadow Military Physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muffuletta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an enlisted soldier considering a career in military medicine. In order to make a well-informed decision, I would like to shadow a few military physicians. Luckily, I have access to one of the Army's training hospitals, so I do not think availability will be much of an issue. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any regulation which states the relationship between an officer and enlisted service member in this professional capacity. Could anyone here share their knowledge or experience? I am sure it would be a great help to myself and others.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Echoing the above: it isn't at all uncommon to have premed students or even high school students shadow. The key is that the hospital signs off on it, and a few bits of basic training occur (like HIPAA), and you have a physician who agrees to have you around. Most physicians are amenable because they've been in your shoes, and the easiest way to set up this sort of situation is to walk up to one and ask. They'll probalby have a secretery or NCO who can track down the POC in med-ed who can take care of the details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses. I went ahead and contacted the hospital's Education and Training Department, and was given a point of contact. I have yet to receive the green light on shadowing, but I am hopeful that I will be getting some good news sometime in the near future.

The key is that the hospital signs off on it, and a few bits of basic training occur (like HIPAA),

I'm surprised anyone would have to go through that much work. When I was shadowing in high school and college, I just asked the physician I wanted to work with if I could tag along, and then just showed up. No training or forms required.