Can I apply before I finish some reqs? How many gap years must I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katfoss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating in Spring 2017 from undergrad with all the pre-med requirements done except for two physics courses. I am planning on taking a gap year anyway to work, volunteer, get thing together, and I had been planning on taking physics during this time.

Here's the question: Could I apply to med programs in summer 2017 (after I graduate) and take physics during the fall/winter/spring of 2017/2018 to then hopefully matriculate in 2018? OR do I need to take two years off now and apply during the 2018 cycles and matriculate in 2019?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be graduating in Spring 2017 from undergrad with all the pre-med requirements done except for two physics courses. I am planning on taking a gap year anyway to work, volunteer, get thing together, and I had been planning on taking physics during this time.

Here's the question: Could I apply to med programs in summer 2017 (after I graduate) and take physics during the fall/winter/spring of 2017/2018 to then hopefully matriculate in 2018? OR do I need to take two years off now and apply during the 2018 cycles and matriculate in 2019?
Except for a double handful of schools, it is possible to complete the prerequisites after application, but prior to matriculation. But in order to do well on the MCAT, it would be desirable to complete your one year of physics plus lab prior to taking the test. While it is possible to self-study for the Physics portion, it would be a rare person would would do so adequately.

You need to have the physics requirements done prior to matriculation not application. Therefore you could apply while you are taking the physics courses

1 or 2 or 4 years off is up to you

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to have the physics requirements done prior to matriculation not application. Therefore you could apply while you are taking the physics courses

1 or 2 or 4 years off is up to you

Except for a double handful of schools, it is possible to complete the prerequisites after application, but prior to matriculation. But in order to do well on the MCAT, it would be desirable to complete your one year of physics plus lab prior to taking the test. While it is possible to self-study for the Physics portion, it would be a rare person would would do so adequately.

The general timeline would then be: graduate undergrad, take MCATs, apply, physics, matriculate. Am I correct in that outline? Not necessarily that it would go well- but would this be the only order option for taking 1 gap year?

The general timeline would then be: graduate undergrad, take MCATs, apply, physics, matriculate. Am I correct in that outline? Not necessarily that it would go well- but would this be the only order option for taking 1 gap year?
You would need to add to that timeline the months necessary to get a good grasp of general physics on your own. You would not want to take the MCAT until you've scored in your target zone on multiple practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
You would need to add to that timeline the months necessary to get a good grasp of general physics on your own. You would not want to take the MCAT until you've scored in your target zone on multiple practice tests.

So I could in theory by studying all of winter and spring, take the MCAT in late spring, retake if needed in early summer, and apply in mid/late summer?