Can I claim residency in Texas and California for TMDSAS and AMCAS, respectively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wildestdreams25

Reaction score

Question about choosing a state of residence​

renderTimingPixel.png

I finished high school in Texas and have a Texas ID, but I lived in california for about a year. I want to apply to schools in Texas, but I also want to maintain my residency in california because the med schools in my state are biased against OOS students. Can I claim California residency for my current residence in AMCAS and Texas residency for TMDSAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Question about choosing a state of residence​

renderTimingPixel.png

I finished high school in Texas and have a Texas ID, but I lived in california for about a year. I want to apply to schools in Texas, but I also want to maintain my residency in california because the med schools in my state are biased against OOS students. Can I claim California residency for my current residence in AMCAS and Texas residency for TMDSAS?
Are you in California for college or grad school, or are you working there without being a student?
If you have only been there a year or less working you may still qualify as a Texan.
If you have been there only for the purposes of education, you may still qualify as a Texan.

However, you cannot claim 2 states of residence on AMCAS, you have to choose one.
I don't know the rules for CA residency with regards to AMCAS.

Here is a long post on Texas residency rules: Texas Residency Status: How Does TMDSAS determine it?

Reactions: 1 users
I am staying in California for "educational" purposes (postbacc program that pays hourly salary). Is that considered educational? I am not taking any courses, just research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am staying in California for "educational" purposes (postbacc program that pays hourly salary). Is that considered educational? I am not taking any courses, just research.
Answer the residency-based questions on the TMDSAS application truthfully and see what their determination is on your residency status.

Once you have filled out those questions and saved the section, you will usually see something on your application portal, even before you submit it, that says something like the 2 lines below (if you have met the rule for TX residency). Look towards the end of your application, just before your Course List.
TMDSAS Residency Decision: Texas Resident
Official State of Residence: Texas
Let's say you want to discuss this status further (if it didn't turn out like you expected)
Then you would message TMDSAS in your portal and explain your points. They may ask you for more documentation, which you will give. They will consider and make a second ruling, and that one will be final.

This is what I got
TMDSAS Residency Decision: Non- Resident

They sound contradictory. Do I appeal their decision? I am so confused. Please help me understand

Last edited:
This is what I got
TMDSAS Residency Decision: Non- Resident

They sound contradictory. Do I appeal their decision? I am so confused. Please help me understand
First just message them in the portal and ask them to explain the contradiction.
I agree it seems contradictory, but sometimes Texans can lose status by being OOS for a year or more for work/ not school.

Reactions: 2 users
First just message them in the portal and ask them to explain the contradiction.
I agree it seems contradictory, but sometimes Texans can lose status by being OOS for a year or more for work/ not school.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user