Can i transfer from Columbia General Studies school biology major to Columbia College for biology major ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurebio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Columbia General Studies school by mistake instead of Columbia College school of Columbia University. Can i transfer from Columbia university General Studies school biology major to Columbia College school for biology major later. Is it feasible. Thank You for your advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, the answer is going to be no. The admissions standards for Ivy League general studies schools are far less competitive than for their UGs, and no, they are not a viable "back door" into the UG.

Reactions: 1 user
You would need a letter from the GS Dean and I don’t believe it’s guaranteed. You can major in bio at GS (I think) but financial aid is limited.

I didn’t like Penn, Cornell, or Columbia because I like the idea of all UGs as one body. No seperate schools

Don’t get me wrong, all are great schools, but something to consider

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t like Penn, Cornell, or Columbia because I like the idea of all UGs as one body. No seperate schools

Don’t get me wrong, all are great schools, but something to consider
Not true! They all encourage cross-pollination and a "one university" approach to living and learning, but, to my knowledge, each school is actually separate. Separate admissions, separate degree requirements, separate degrees, etc. I ASSURE you, the School of General Studies is very separate from Columbia College.