Can seem to do better than last MCAT. Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brotherbloat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took the August MCAT and got 25Q. 7 PS, 8 BS, 10 V.

For that test, I barely studied and was planning my wedding, so I didn't really expect to do well.

However, I'm registered for the April test, and I've put in about 8 hours a day since Jan. 1. On today's Kaplan test, I got: 7 PS, 11 V, 6 BS.

I have not been able to break a 7 in PS, despite studying the PS for basically 2.5 months non-stop. I am very frustrated. I think my 6 BS score today had to do with the fact that there was a ton of orgo on the test (Kaplan 3), whereas there's usually much less on the real MCAT nowadays.

Should I still plan on taking the April test? This will be my second MCAT ever. I'm worried that I only have 4 more weeks to study. I also applied to 8 schools for this past cycle, getting no interviews (MD).

Thanks,

BB

Members don't see this ad.

brotherbloat said:
Hello,

For that test, I barely studied and was planning my wedding, so I didn't really expect to do well.

However, I'm registered for the April test, and I've put in about 8 hours a day since Jan. 1. On today's Kaplan test, I got: 7 PS, 11 V, 6 BS.

I have not been able to break a 7 in PS, despite studying the PS for basically 2.5 months non-stop. I am very frustrated. I think my 6 BS score today had to do with the fact that there was a ton of orgo on the test (Kaplan 3), whereas there's usually much less on the real MCAT nowadays.

Should I still plan on taking the April test? This will be my second MCAT ever. I'm worried that I only have 4 more weeks to study. I also applied to 8 schools for this past cycle, getting no interviews (MD).

Thanks,

BB

Try another AAMC practice test. I think the 3R is free on their website. I was going to retake the april one too.. but no time to study... no time to study for the previous one i took either. now i'm planning to take the august one.. feel like no time to study either. for physics, i know everyone's going to be against this, but i'd just crack open a physics book and try and do 5 problems for each section. 5 very difficult problems. you'll probably wont be able to do it without consulting others, but by the time you finnish, alot of stuff will be intuative... less memorization. works for me.. good luck

You've got pretty solid verbal scores to start with, the other scores are much easier to improve.

I can see why you might not feel that way, though, since you've put in 8 hrs a day for 3.5 months now. I really don't understand how you haven't brought them up with that much study, considering that your verbal scores indicate to me that you're a pretty intelligent person with good test taking strategy.

I think you're probably right to question the validity of Kaplan 3. Definitely try AAMC 3R for free. If you're score is still similar, then I'd suggest switching study materials. If you've been focused on review materials then change over to practice tests and vice versa.

brotherbloat said:
Hello,

Thanks,

BB

Are you looking over your exams after you take them? I really think thats the key to doing well. We could all do 1000 practice exams from now till the 16th, but it doesn't matter unless we go over what we do wrong. So I would keep taking practice exams and make sure I go over it afterwards.
Good luck