Can somebody please explain how the state system works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plexwriter5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior in US med school finishing up in May. I would like to take Step 3 before the start of my intern year this July. I am applying for residency right now and I don't know where I will end up until March. I would like to take the exam in CA in June because that's where I'm going to be before starting the residency. Does it matter which state exam I take even if I don't get into intern/residency program in CA? (Would training programs require their own state license after I start residency? Can it be converted to the license for another state?) If I want CA license, do I have to take it in CA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a senior in US med school finishing up in May. I would like to take Step 3 before the start of my intern year this July. I am applying for residency right now and I don't know where I will end up until March. I would like to take the exam in CA in June because that's where I'm going to be before starting the residency. Does it matter which state exam I take even if I don't get into intern/residency program in CA? (Would training programs require their own state license after I start residency? Can it be converted to the license for another state?) If I want CA license, do I have to take it in CA? Thanks!

The State Board of Medical Examiners is likely a good place to call and check, rather than random anonymity in the interwebs