Can someone answer some of these questions regarding application/leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year bio student at a canadian university (will get my citizenship next year), and I immigrated in 2019 from Dubai where I studied Architecture for 2 years after being rejected from a 7 year BS/DDS program there. Middle east countries do not have a 4 year bachelor then a 4 year dental school kinda thing, they're all 7 years combined so if you get rejected from the 7 year one, you're kinda screwed and it all matters on grades, ECs don't matter. So it was useless majoring in science and never doing anything dental with it. That's why instead of staying home, I decided to major in Architecture which was never a passion of mine but I did it because I did not want to stay home. Architecture sucked but the only thing I got out of there was that I was a president of a korean club for 2 semesters. Now here come my questions.

1- Should I never include Architecture in my application to dental schools next year? I had a 2.9 GPA there and I'm afraid that if they asked why Architecture, I don't have an answer other than cuz I was rejected from dentistry.

2- at my current canadian university, It had a korean club that died a few years ago. Should I revive this club and take a leadership role? This would mean I was a president of a korean club for two universities across the world. Would this even be beneficial? or do dental schools want to see leadership in a science club or a pre dental club? How would schools view this?

3- I'm going to be applying before my 4th year to US schools only. Since I'm across the border from michigan, UDM is my ideal choice, as I don't have to move there since I can just drive and cross the border to school (about 4km from UDM to my house). I do realize that applying to UDM only is probably a risky move, but from what I see is that if I get rejected, I can apply again to UDM after I finish my bachelors. I am afraid that if I apply to multiple schools and not get UDM my first time, and get acceptances at other schools, that I would have to reject them to try my luck at UDM after I graduate. Question is, if I reject my acceptances next year and apply after I graduate, will these acceptances blacklist me or possibly every dental school blacklists me? Should I apply first time to UDM only or every canadian friendly US school?

PS. Had I known that I would be immigrating to Canada, I would have obviously taken a science major to transfer my credits to here in canada.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd year bio student at a canadian university (will get my citizenship next year), and I immigrated in 2019 from Dubai where I studied Architecture for 2 years after being rejected from a 7 year BS/DDS program there. Middle east countries do not have a 4 year bachelor then a 4 year dental school kinda thing, they're all 7 years combined so if you get rejected from the 7 year one, you're kinda screwed and it all matters on grades, ECs don't matter. So it was useless majoring in science and never doing anything dental with it. That's why instead of staying home, I decided to major in Architecture which was never a passion of mine but I did it because I did not want to stay home. Architecture sucked but the only thing I got out of there was that I was a president of a korean club for 2 semesters. Now here come my questions.

1- Should I never include Architecture in my application to dental schools next year? I had a 2.9 GPA there and I'm afraid that if they asked why Architecture, I don't have an answer other than cuz I was rejected from dentistry.

2- at my current canadian university, It had a korean club that died a few years ago. Should I revive this club and take a leadership role? This would mean I was a president of a korean club for two universities across the world. Would this even be beneficial? or do dental schools want to see leadership in a science club or a pre dental club? How would schools view this?

3- I'm going to be applying before my 4th year to US schools only. Since I'm across the border from michigan, UDM is my ideal choice, as I don't have to move there since I can just drive and cross the border to school (about 4km from UDM to my house). I do realize that applying to UDM only is probably a risky move, but from what I see is that if I get rejected, I can apply again to UDM after I finish my bachelors. I am afraid that if I apply to multiple schools and not get UDM my first time, and get acceptances at other schools, that I would have to reject them to try my luck at UDM after I graduate. Question is, if I reject my acceptances next year and apply after I graduate, will these acceptances blacklist me or possibly every dental school blacklists me? Should I apply first time to UDM only or every canadian friendly US school?

PS. Had I known that I would be immigrating to Canada, I would have obviously taken a science major to transfer my credits to here in canada.
1. I would include it. I think the applications asks you to include all degrees and institutions you’ve attended. Sure you could exclude it and I doubt they find out.. but if they do find out you’re pretty much screwed for lying or omitting. Not worth it. Just be honest about your story. My takeaway is that this person is not lazy and instead completed a degree instead of being complacent or sulking. You are still actively pursuing dentistry and have not been discouraged which is great. Everyone will perceive it different though.

2. It wouldn’t hurt if you can talk about hard/soft skills you gained as president of the club. Or any community based initiatives or campaigns you started to meet the needs of the Korean community in X city. Giving concrete examples is good. Just mentioning you were president with little mention of actions will not impact your application in any meaningful way. Dental experience is always good though.

3. you can risk applying to one school if you don’t mind taking a gap year if you don’t get in. But you’ll have to be focused on maturing as a candidate during the gap year (increasing involvement, community service, shadowing, DAT etc). If you apply to multiple schools and get accepted but deny their offers you will need to explain this the next cycle. The app specifically asks if you have previously been accepted to dental schools but did not matriculate and why. If you have a valid answer you’re fine. If not, it can reflect poorly and some schools may deny you on that. Doubt you’d be universally blacklisted or even blacklisted from the school you rejected. They don’t know the exact details of every candidates situation. But If you know you will deny any school besides UDM the first year, just don’t apply to others.

Reactions: 1 user