Reapplicant with some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tridentist

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I havent heard from any schools and I am now preparing for the upcoming cycle for 2023. I have a low sgpa of a 2.6 and plan to offset that by attending the Rutgers Dental Scholars program. Being a reapplicant, I had a few questions about resubmitting my application. Should I re-use letters of recommendation or should I wait to receive them from the grad program? The only problem this poses is the fact that I will have to submit my application later which is something frowned upon. Another question is should I include in my personal statement that I am taking this masters program?

I plan on completing this masters program in one year so I can matriculate the next year. IF anyone has done something like this I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
personally, I think you need to wait to finish the program first before applying. Schools won't look at your app until you have your first semester grades and even then may still not extend you an interview until very late in the cycle. I would say focus on the program, do exceptionally well, and plan on applying for the 24-25 cycle making yourself a much more competitive applicant.

it's possible to get in while taking the masters, but again, you stand a far better chance of admission by finishing the master's program and applying the following cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
personally, I think you need to wait to finish the program first before applying.
This.

What will you have proven to dental schools if you reapply literally the same time as you’re starting this program? You have no track record of success there. Are they just supposed to assume you’ll do great? You need to prove yourself before reapplying, especially with your poor GPA.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I havent heard from any schools and I am now preparing for the upcoming cycle for 2023. I have a low sgpa of a 2.6 and plan to offset that by attending the Rutgers Dental Scholars program. Being a reapplicant, I had a few questions about resubmitting my application. Should I re-use letters of recommendation or should I wait to receive them from the grad program? The only problem this poses is the fact that I will have to submit my application later which is something frowned upon. Another question is should I include in my personal statement that I am taking this masters program?

I plan on completing this masters program in one year so I can matriculate the next year. IF anyone has done something like this I would greatly appreciate some advice.
note that your GPA for the year masters should be as close to 4.0 as you can get
a 3.5 or below might not convince an adcom that you are ready for d school...

As a dentist, it might be a blessing in disguise that you don’t get into dental school. Sometimes when I think back, I wished I didn’t go to dental school.

$400k student loans, I’m paying around $3k a month for 15 years. If I factor in the student loans, I barely make more than my wife who is an RN but no student loans. Heck if she was a traveling nurse, she’d be making more money than me. Hahaha.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Should I re-use letters of recommendation or should I wait to receive them from the grad program?
Get a letter from your program director. At least.
Another question is should I include in my personal statement that I am taking this masters program?
It should be obvious in planned coursework. But as mentioned above, we want your grades, not your intentions.

As a dentist, it might be a blessing in disguise that you don’t get into dental school. Sometimes when I think back, I wished I didn’t go to dental school.

$400k student loans, I’m paying around $3k a month for 15 years. If I factor in the student loans, I barely make more than my wife who is an RN but no student loans. Heck if she was a traveling nurse, she’d be making more money than me. Hahaha.
This.

I love my job but if I could go back I would explore other options just a little bit more before I went into so much debt. I graduated with 270 and it still feels like a huge burden, i couldnt imagine 400k+. With loan payments it makes your income look more normal than extraordinary. Youll be living lavish....when your 45..maybe. If you can get into a school sub 350 its still worth it

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat as you. I applied last cycle, accepted to Tuft's PDND program (which was wayyyy too expensive) and waitlisted at UNE. I am getting a Master of Medical Science starting this fall and have applied to some schools for this cycle. It may be a long shot but it's worth a try! If I were to wait a year, I feel like it wouldn't reflect well on my motivation to get into school, but that might just be me. Good luck!!