Can Someone chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshua Ang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cGPA is 3.42 and my sGPA is 3.2. MCAT score is 33. Lots of research experience, volunteering, and lots of shadowing. Extracurricular activities I'm not too worried about. I was just wondering based on my metrics should I go for SMP or other postbac program before med school. Thanks in advance!

*Want to know chances for MD and DO. I just want to be a doctor, I don't care about the stigma associated with MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad.

No chance unless you removed the capitalized s from someone, then you are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be competitive for many DO schools because of your MCAT score. Apply to 15 or more in June and submit your secondaries by July and you should receive several interviews. For MD your chances are dependent on your state of residence. Where is your state of residence ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't his GPA much more questionable than his MCAT score? 33 was the median score for matriculants, but 3.4 is somewhat below that. I agree that you should apply DO.

You would be competitive for many DO schools because of your MCAT score. Apply to 15 or more in June and submit your secondaries by July and you should receive several interviews. For MD your chances are dependent on your state of residence. Where is your state of residence ?
My state of residence is Florida, would I have a chance at MD schools if I apply in-state?

Isn't his GPA much more questionable than his MCAT score? 33 was the median score for matriculants, but 3.4 is somewhat below that. I agree that you should apply DO.

more like 30-31. GPA takes a backrow seat to MCAT anyway so he should be good.

Yes, apply to all the Florida MD schools ( and the DO Florida schools ). The GPA-MCAT grid indicates you have at least a 1/3 chance for an MD acceptance so even though the chances are not high you may receive at least one interview from the 7 Florida MD schools. You could also apply to OOS private MD schools such as Quinnipiac, Hofstra, New York Medical, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, St. Louis, Creighton and Loyola.