Can someone explain the waitlist process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had a question about being wait-listed. How do they choose who they want to give a position to on the waitlist once re-reviewing the candidate? Is it number-based or qualification-based? Do letters of interest help at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Every school is different.

Some rank candidates immediately, and just pull them off the list in numerical order. Other schools lump people into ranked groups, like "High priority" or "Acceptable", etc. I assume that in those situations they would go over all the candidates in the group before making an offer - it's in these types of waitlists that an LOI does the most good I think.

And still other schools reveal no information whatsoever about their waitlist.

I think overall, it depends on the school whether an LOI makes much of a difference. At the very least, it certainly won't HURT your chances at all.

I agree. It seems to vary a great deal by school.

Some schools even appear to try to replace people with similar applicants in an effort to maintain diversity.

LOIs certainly wont hurt you, but I wouldnt send out more than one. That can come back to bite you. Calling occasionally (not too often to be annoying) may also help your chances.

However, none of the lists are likely to move too much until after May 15th. At that point things will really start shifting around a lot.

you wait................... on a list..........and wait............ and wait some more....................... and then say fok it